since we're on the topic (sorta ;)

Questions and comments about the forum or the web site
ultraslacker
Site Admin

since we're on the topic (sorta ;)

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:36 pm

As has been mentioned here and there over the past couple of weeks, there are costs involved in maintaining a site like this. They are not outrageous costs: so far I have spent about $150 and if all goes well that should last a whole year. If we grow past a certain point it will start to cost more (we pay for bandwidth) but for now we have LOTS of room to grow.

While I do not mind paying for it myself, it would also be great to defer some of those costs. I have a few ideas for how we can do that. If they are successful, we should also have enough money to pay for things such as prizes for contests, etc. So here are a couple of ideas; let me know what you think.

1) the obvious - have a donation option (paypal, probably)

2) we talked about adding a dollar (or so) to each custom gear order

3) we can do an associate thingy with Amazon, where we can have a designated page (no banners or ads on the main pages, but a separate page just for this) where we would recommend running-related books. Then if a person clicks through and buys something, we get a small commission. Even if a person clicks through and buys something that is NOT running-related, we still get a commission. Then it's just a matter of getting people into the habit of going through our page to get to Amazon. I've seen this work really well on scholarly sites where people spend all their money on books--it would be less here, but might help with a few dollars and is unintrusive (no popups, ads, etc.). Plus of course we avoid the hassles of sponsorships and advertising...

other ideas?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:44 pm

I personally like the idea of adding a nominal amount to each person's customized gear order. We would have to figure out what that addition would be, but I would imagine it would be less than a dollar. The benefit of this is that some of the particularly gung-ho people (like myself) would probably order more things and therefore pay more, which is fair since we would be the ones benefitting most from the site. Does that make sense?

For any new members who don't know what I'm talking about re: gear, I'll bump the thread in the Open Board.

I like this plan better than the donation idea because then Holly doesn't have to feel like she's asking for "handouts" from users, which isn't fair to her.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:53 pm

dgrant wrote:I personally like the idea of adding a nominal amount to each person's customized gear order. We would have to figure out what that addition would be, but I would imagine it would be less than a dollar. The benefit of this is that some of the particularly gung-ho people (like myself) would probably order more things and therefore pay more, which is fair since we would be the ones benefitting most from the site. Does that make sense?

Sure. Or we could make it a percentage of the order, say 2%.

I like this plan better than the donation idea because then Holly doesn't have to feel like she's asking for "handouts" from users, which isn't fair to her.

I wouldn't feel like it's asking for handouts. It's not unusual or inappropriate for a non-profit site to have a donations option. There would be no pressure for anyone involved.

what do others think?

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:18 pm

I put something up for sale in the claassieds section. All proceeds will be given to the site. Hope there is a buyer!
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:20 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:I put something up for sale in the claassieds section. All proceeds will be given to the site. Hope there is a buyer!

I saw that. You're awesome. :)

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:40 am

I have no problem donating some cash. As well, I don't feel it's a huge deal. Most of the people here have been with the site since the beginning, understand how it started and that Holly did it all herself. There would be no pressure to donate, you could just go ahead and do it if you felt you wanted to or could. ( I relaize not everyone is going to have the means to donate cash...)

I also think the classified ads are a great idea. Again, a portion of the proceeds could go to the site, but that would be completely up to the seller....and noone would have to know about it.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:51 am

I have no problem with a donation section being added...in addition to a small fee being added to the cost of custom gear.

That way if people don't want customized gear (of course why anyone would not want to be publicly associated with The Maniacs is beyond me :wink: :shock: :lol: ) have a way of supporting the cause.

I think that the classified section sales should be at the discretion of the vendor. I'm starting to get the picture that multisport is expensive and someone people may need the cash so they can upgrade their toys!

Holly...you're doing an amazing job...along with some of the key players as your team.

Joanne
C-Moss: I will donate one cup of kibble...all I can afford at the moment
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:54 am

I've seen the paypal on other sites - it's a good idea...

another option (well, sorta mentioned) would be to promote sellers of items to donate part of the cash they get to the site. Maybe putting a notice on top of that board saying something like

"Please consider donating 10% (or something) of your "profit" of the sale back to the upkeep of this wonderfully amazing website!"
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:07 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:I put something up for sale in the claassieds section. All proceeds will be given to the site. Hope there is a buyer!

Nice going crash. Great idea. Way to step up.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:36 pm

I could always donate the procedes of my bottle returns. :lol:

But seriously, I would be gung ho for adding a nominal amount to the gear orders.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

gypsymom
Tom Longboat

Postby gypsymom » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:56 pm

I think all three ideas are great and do not have to be mutually exclusive. Can't you do them all? Expenses are going to mount as the forum gets more popular.

Of course, being a book lover, I would STRONGLY encourage the Amazon idea... ;)

There -- my first post. Back to lurking now!
"All great fitness starts with a single gallumph."
~ dgrant

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:14 pm

I have a bunch of clothes to unload...I was thinking I could put them up on ebay and donate all the money to the site.

Maybe by this weekend I can have it figured out.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Postby hyajil » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:45 pm

The surcharge on gear orders would be ideal because if you're already spending $30 or more, what's another $1 or $2.

PayPal would be good too, if I just knew how to set up an account. :oops:
ETA: I went to Paypal's website this morning and it's obviously quite easy to get set up. :oops: :oops:

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:58 pm

hyajil wrote:The surcharge on gear orders would be ideal because if you're already spending $30 or more, what's another $1 or $2.

PayPal would be good too, if I just knew how to set up an account. :oops:
ETA: I went to Paypal's website this morning and it's obviously quite easy to get set up. :oops: :oops:

i am cool with the gear idea, and the paypal (but i don't know what it is yet, but i can check it out.). i get a lot out of this site, so i don't mind at all chipping in some $$.

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:21 pm

I think the Pay Pal donation idea is a good one - I won't use it but I have seen it on many sites.

What I will use and also like is the fee added to an order for Running Mania gear - so I say go with both features.

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:37 am

Go for the fee on orders but post your paypal address on the front page soliciting funding assistance. You may want to set up a seperate PP account and address for this forum to keep things straight. You may have revenue Canada considerations in the future.

Right now you have 98 members signed on and i think a couple of bucks each should not be asking too much from those who do not order items.

Return to “Site News, Questions, and Comments”