10K race while training for a Marathon?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

10K race while training for a Marathon?

Postby Stephan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:33 pm

Hello, I just saw info on a 10K race (NAVY 10K) in Halifax, 21 August 2005. I am currently training for a Full Marathon on October 9th 2005. Would it be wise to enter the 10K? I would like to see how I measure up and also it would give me the chance to participate in a race before the big one as I have never been in a race before. I am just starting to add some speed work to my training, I currently average 50-55 minutes for 10K (but I am sure I could beat that now). Should I just focus on the marathon instead? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephan

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:37 pm

FOr sure you should do it! It will give you a really good idea how fit you are. I am going to attempt another 10K before my marathon and I'm also making a point of doing a 10K time trial every month to ensure I'm actually getting in better shape. The only thing is that it might be hard to rearrange your schedule so you don't miss your long run (as those are super important for training for the marathon). If there's no other 10K you could do that's during the week, I would try to do your long run, say, the Thursday or Friday before your Sunday race.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:13 pm

I've just done my first ever 10K races last month. If you've never done a race at all I would highly recommend the experience before marathon raceday. It's important to work out all the little bugs of your raceday preparation in a shorter race.

I wouldn't worry about it having any negative impact, as long as you make sure to still get your week's LSD in. LSDs are sacred and shouldn't be compromised for anything.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:19 pm

i am thinking of doing that race as well... maybe.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:26 pm

I'll be doing it, if I bounce back from my recovery period.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:58 pm

Racing during Marathon training is a great idea. It gives you a little break from the long haul, and allows you to taper for a week, and do the ultimate speed session (the race.) I say do it, but remember that this isn't your big one. This is just training for the big one. Run it win, but hold off if you're not feeling 100%. Good luck!
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:00 pm

Absolutely !!! During my marathon build up, some of my best times and PBs came as a result of my marathon training, lsd, speed, tempo, hill workouts, etc... By the end of yout marathon base, you should be stronger than ever, assuming your are feeling 100% and injury free ...

Hammer Time !!! andy :) Peace !!!
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “Training ”