Running after giving blood (and wonky bp)?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Running after giving blood (and wonky bp)?

Postby Kristen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:11 pm

-
Last edited by Kristen on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Running after giving blood (and wonky bp)?

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:15 pm

I would definitely NOT run on the same day after giving blood. It's too much exertion for your lowered blood volume.

Once I tried running the *next* day after giving blood... thought I felt fine, but within 20 minutes I actually passed out on the side of the road when I stopped for a light. A woman in a car offered me a ride and I passed out again in her car.

Not worth the risk. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:27 pm

Don't run tonight. I'm all for zany stunts but, don't run tonight. Signed, passed out last time. Just from standing up at a concert. Hit head, real sore head. Run tomorrow. I usually run the day after with no issues, just easy though.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:29 pm

ps: I also don't donate whole blood during a training period, as it has too great of an effect on my training... plasma is another option which doesn't take as much out of you (literally! ;).

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:59 pm

-

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:54 pm

KristenL wrote:Not wanting to hit head or pass out, I came home after work instead of going to the gym. Hrm... what to do, what to do? :D 8)

a) Put pajamas on before 6:00 pm - check!
b) Have dinner before 8:00 pm- check!
c) Curl up with a fabulous movie of my choosing before hubby gets home - check!

Ah...impromptu rest days are indeed luxurious. I do, however, feel guilty about missing the run.

I'll get the run in tomorrow on my originally-scheduled rest day.

guilty? you gave the gift of life. no guilt allowed. :)

enjoy your movie!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:53 am

I am hypertensive and it always throws the doctors for a loop when they see the meds I take while being active, thin and eating a normal diet. I blame it on bad genes as I come from a family of hypertensives. In my experience the doctors have always been more concerned with the bottom number if it hits over 80 vs the top number unless of course your top number is sky high. In your case your BP yesterday was very good on the bottom number. The top number just a tad higher than they like. There can be many factors that can cause a blip, how they take your BP, drinking coffee, stress that day, etc. It is best to monitor your BP over a period of time to see an average as it can change from minute to minute. If you are a bit worried because of your family history take your BP over the course of a week to see what it averages out to.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:52 am

KristenL wrote:On a separate related note: my blood pressure was 128/62 today. This has me concerned. Last December, before I started running regularly, it was 124/73. And this was no cause for concern given the fact that I was moderately active. And in December of 2007, another year I was moderately active, it was 120/56. And in October that same year it was 112/66.

I don't think you need to be concerned about 128/62. Blood pressure can vary a lot over the course of a day, and the single number you get from a reading in a doctor's office or blood clinic is not that precise. Blood pressure really needs to be taken several times over the course of a day and averaged to be accurate.... it can vary much through a range much bigger than the numbers you have given throughout the course of a day, and those numbers you have there are not high. It will depend on things like whether you had french fries for lunch that day or whether you've recently had coffee, and even how nervous you are about the appointment.

I've taken my BP out of curiousity at the self-serve stations at our supermarkets and pharmacies. My normal BP is in the 120/60 range, but at the supermarket once it was something like 140/80! I sort of worried, but then sat there, relaxed, took it again, and it was back down to the normal range. I do find that if I've had coffee recently, it's on the higher side temporarily but I can bring it down by relaxing.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:05 am

-

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am

I looked into a BP monitor, though I never bought one. The pharmacist was very helpful....
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:47 am

My mom has one...I don't know the make and model though...I think it is pretty accurate as she purchased it on a doctor's advice. I can find out if you like..

(we actually have contests to see how low we can get ours by relaxing while taking it...)
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:48 am

NewFinnLoper wrote:(we actually have contests to see how low we can get ours by relaxing while taking it...)

wild family you have. ;)

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:16 pm

I bought an Omron Automatic BP Monitor at Shoppers. I think it was around $100. It is very handy to have in the house.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:14 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:My mom has one...I don't know the make and model though...I think it is pretty accurate as she purchased it on a doctor's advice. I can find out if you like..

(we actually have contests to see how low we can get ours by relaxing while taking it...)

That sounds like a fun game. And, in my family, one I would always win.

My Mom has one, too. I have no idea on the brand.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:18 pm

we have whatever Costco was selling and are very happy with it. helpful eh?
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:04 pm

I run after donating blood and have never had a problem, although you should run very slow as you may feel a little sluggish. It would really depend on how you feel and how you generally are after blood donations. I've been donating for a really long time and not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:32 pm

-
Last edited by Kristen on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:I run after donating blood and have never had a problem, although you should run very slow as you may feel a little sluggish. It would really depend on how you feel and how you generally are after blood donations. I've been donating for a really long time and not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I don't think how long a person has been donating has any influence--I've been donating for over a decade, and my passing out thing just happened this year. :) I've always felt fine after a donation, but I do feel it in my runs for about a week.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:53 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
NewFinnLoper wrote:(we actually have contests to see how low we can get ours by relaxing while taking it...)

wild family you have. ;)

we had a big family + friends dinner over the holidays last year and played "whoever had the lowest blood pressure gets the last cookie" (i also have bad genes and come from a family of hypertensives. a friend won. this year i will wise up and take my meds just before dinner!)

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:07 pm

No one here has posted any BP that would make me take notice. Not even 140/80.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:08 pm

toobusy wrote:No one here has posted any BP that would make me take notice. Not even 140/80.

Well, when compared to my normal BP, it was quite alarming. Until I realized that there is such a wide fluctuation during the day.

How much you are hydrated can make a huge difference, too.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:48 pm

toobusy wrote:No one here has posted any BP that would make me take notice. Not even 140/80.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Agreed.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:00 pm

-
Last edited by Kristen on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

KristenL wrote:I ended up buying an automatic blood pressure monitor on my way home. It runs on four AA batteries and looks simple enough to use (haven't tried it out yet). I'm seriously concerned that my blood pressure is climbing in a year that I've seriously stepped up physical activity; after all, shouldn't it be the reverse -- variables that day notwithstanding? My family has a history of hypertension and this is the highest reading I can recall. I figure there is no time like the present to monitor this and make sure I don't ever see 140/80. What's more, I think it's a good piece of technology to have around.

'textbook perfect' (average) is 120/80, and heart rate average is 72bpm. it would be interesting to see how things change as you go....

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:05 pm

toobusy wrote:
KristenL wrote:I ended up buying an automatic blood pressure monitor on my way home. It runs on four AA batteries and looks simple enough to use (haven't tried it out yet). I'm seriously concerned that my blood pressure is climbing in a year that I've seriously stepped up physical activity; after all, shouldn't it be the reverse -- variables that day notwithstanding? My family has a history of hypertension and this is the highest reading I can recall. I figure there is no time like the present to monitor this and make sure I don't ever see 140/80. What's more, I think it's a good piece of technology to have around.

'textbook perfect' (average) is 120/80, and heart rate average is 72bpm. it would be interesting to see how things change as you go....

resting heartrate average is 72?? :shock:

I haven't measured mine in ages but when I used to track it, I was in the 52-54 range. Gotta love being a runner. :)

Return to “Training ”