Greg McMillan's GPS rules

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

NMG
Bill Crothers

Re: Greg McMillan's GPS rules

Postby NMG » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 am

I definitely agree with the not looking at it too soon. Typically, if I start out at the same pace that I'm running 2-3 KM's into my run, I'll feel totally out of sync. If I ease into it, my body will just naturally take me there. I think this is also why a 5K can feel so darn up and down. By the time it's winding down I feel like I'm just getting into a good rhythm, LOL.

Other than that, I do like how the GPS shows me my average pace. I also love the ability to download my runs so I can track total KM's and observe my pacing over the duration of the run. I think it's helpful, especially when I can compare the results to how I felt, the temperature, etc. Seeing progression on the same route from one month to the next or even one year to the next is very motivational.

I would say that I typically only look at my GPS a handful of times while I'm actually running, especially if I'm familiar with the route. Like others, if it's a new route I will use it to get a gauge on distance. Oh, I've also had to use it a couple of times when I got turned around on some trails in the fall and the leaves had covered the paths. I don't think I would've got in serious trouble without it, but it sure as heck would've made for a MUCH longer, colder and frustrating time trying to find my way back to the truck. Heck, on one of those times dusk was approaching so I was really glad to be able to use the mapping feature and have it lead me back to the main trail.

Return to “Training ”