Situps or pushups

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

The Donald
Jerome Drayton

Situps or pushups

Postby The Donald » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:29 pm

I am just wondering, given the choice between the two; which exercise is more beneficial for a distance runner?
No one cares what I would do; therefore, I can do anything!!

I ran 42.2k; Let's see the other donald try to trump that

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Situps or pushups

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:42 pm

Push-ups for sure. They work the core and the arms and back all in one exercise.

Most trainers are now saying to not do the old-style crunches, but there are other good core exercises you can do on your back too.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Interesting question, but probably without an answer that can be applied to all distance runners. For instance, while I mostly agree with Jenn's points, there's also:
(1) the possibility of gaining muscle mass from the pushups, which would work against distance running
(2) the ability of situps or crunches to dynamically stabilize the lower abdominals and hip flexors in a way that improves posture and increases cadence
Minor effects, to be sure, but I think the takeaway is that the type of core work that a runner undertakes has as much to do with non-running objectives than with optimizing running. For what it's worth, my routine is for five minutes, three mornings per week (usually non-running days), consisting of: (1) N pushups, (2) N 10 pound dumbbell rows (each side, torso horizontal), (3) N dumbbell bicep curls each side, (4) 2*N crunches (feet hovering above ground, periodically alternating between straight and diagonal), with N between 25 and 40. I figure that I have about 2-4 pounds more muscle mass in my upper body than if I didn't do this.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:26 pm

I would think that for distance running, the answer would be neither. Strong chest and triceps from pushups are not useful for running (and may detract due to added weight). For strengthening core, an isometric exercise like planks would be more appropriate for the demands of running, without the risk of injury associated with situps.

Of course optimal distance running and optimal fitness are not the same thing...

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:34 pm

dgrant wrote:I would think that for distance running, the answer would be neither. Strong chest and triceps from pushups are not useful for running (and may detract due to added weight). For strengthening core, an isometric exercise like planks would be more appropriate for the demands of running, without the risk of injury associated with situps.

Of course optimal distance running and optimal fitness are not the same thing...

ding, ding, ding... and the prize goes to Dave...
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

The Donald
Jerome Drayton

Postby The Donald » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks, gives me a lot to think about. Especially, Mr. Grant's last statement as I also play softball which may make me think about the optimal fitness part.
No one cares what I would do; therefore, I can do anything!!

I ran 42.2k; Let's see the other donald try to trump that

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:16 am

I'm going to go against the grain here: bicycle crunch (somewhat situp-like).

http://www.acefitness.org/pressroom/246 ... red-study/

Having said that, I do pushups and chin ups on alternate days and abs daily: easy to "superset".

If you're doing a lot of running you aren't likely to add too much muscle bulk regardless what your do.

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:14 pm

I found that when I did more overall fitness training (interval training) I ran faster an less injured.
The Summer of Eng is over.

Return to “Training ”