April 2014 training

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

April 2014 training

Postby Jwolf » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:03 am

My plan is to continue with marathon training as best I can. With the marathon scheduled for the end of May, this will be my biggest month and I will hit a bit over 300K this month. The Sun Run 10K is on the last Sunday of April, but I am not sure if I will race it.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: April 2014 training

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:43 pm

If all goes well, I should hit around 250km. My weekly mileage is definitely improving lately.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:41 pm

Most of the month will be spent in taper and reverse taper, with one huge spike of mileage in the middle.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

rungeek
Tom Longboat

Postby rungeek » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:31 am

I'm trying something a bit different (for me) to force some consistency back into my running. I've committed myself to run every day in the month of April with a 30 minute minimum run to count. I've gotten into the habit of bailing on runs too easily so an obligation to run every day no matter what will hopefully help with that. :dance:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:34 pm

School has NOT been good for my running (or my hanging out on RM :)

But, no classes for April :dance:

I have a half this weekend, so a mini taper, then a little trip to BOSTON next weekend (for the 5k), so it will probably still be a low mileage month for me.

Nothing like this time last year, that's for sure!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 am

Change of plans, as decision was made to defer the K-town Ultra on HOLD for another year or so, and, now tapering for Mississauga Marathon in May, so expect April to be around 200-225K ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

rungeek
Tom Longboat

Postby rungeek » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 pm

rungeek wrote:I'm trying something a bit different (for me) to force some consistency back into my running. I've committed myself to run every day in the month of April with a 30 minute minimum run to count. I've gotten into the habit of bailing on runs too easily so an obligation to run every day no matter what will hopefully help with that. :dance:

Day 23 of April and I'm still hanging in there with my streak. Current consecutive running streak is 25 days (started at the end of March). I can feel myself slipping past "commited" and into "obsessive" so I might take a forced one day break on May 1. My brain is already wondering if I could push this to one year, two years, etc so breaking the streak early might be for the best. :lol:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Jwolf wrote:My plan is to continue with marathon training as best I can. With the marathon scheduled for the end of May, this will be my biggest month and I will hit a bit over 300K this month. The Sun Run 10K is on the last Sunday of April, but I am not sure if I will race it.

Today is a rest day so my month is over. :)

I finished April with 334K. I am very happy with this- a great month of training for me after finishing March with the 30K race. This bodes well for my marathon next month- I feel like I'm in better shape than I've been in a long time. I did more mileage in the peak months of marathon training in 2010 and 2011, but not that much more.

I did do the Sun Run 10K on Sunday, finishing it as a hard training run in just over 53 minutes.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:24 pm

ultraslacker wrote:If all goes well, I should hit around 250km. My weekly mileage is definitely improving lately.

not quite... I took some days off this week (not on purpose... just how life is!). Ended up with 137.5 miles, which is 221km. I'm actually quite happy with that. I have a few more long runs before the race in a month. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 01, 2014 6:10 am

HCcD wrote:Change of plans, as decision was made to defer the K-town Ultra on HOLD for another year or so, and, now tapering for Mississauga Marathon in May, so expect April to be around 200-225K ....

Ooops, a wee bit more than I expected, mainly due to more outdoor running, in particularly with more people for the longer runs, ta boot .. :)

Total for the month was 23x runs and approx 279K ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:28 am

I didn't really have any plan, but ended up with 351K for the month! I'll never see the 400+K months that I saw in the past, but this was pretty good! A lot of it was Sloowwwww though.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu May 01, 2014 8:36 am

Between being sick for a few days and having company for a few days I didn't get in quite as much running as I'd hoped. I'm still happy with 315k.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

rungeek
Tom Longboat

Postby rungeek » Thu May 01, 2014 11:40 am

rungeek wrote:I'm trying something a bit different (for me) to force some consistency back into my running. I've committed myself to run every day in the month of April with a 30 minute minimum run to count. I've gotten into the habit of bailing on runs too easily so an obligation to run every day no matter what will hopefully help with that. :dance:

I met my goal of running for a minimum of 30 minutes every day this month. Too many of the days were too close to the minimum but it got me to run on days when I might otherwise have bailed. I've lost a few pounds and was actually pleasantly surprised with a 5k time trial I did this morning. Still glacial slow but better than anticipated. :dance:

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Sat May 03, 2014 7:34 pm

465km on 24 runs in April... not super, not terrible.

Need to see 500+ May, with some serious speed work.

Return to “Training ”