10K faster or aiming for Half marathon

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jamie55

10K faster or aiming for Half marathon

Postby Jamie55 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:35 pm

I am a new 10K runner (around a month now) and I am debating training to increase my pace ( I am a slow runner 10K 1h08) or continue training up to 15K and eventually half marathon. I have registered for a 15K run on August 23rd and want to register for a half marathon early November, and I am not sure which is the best way to achieve these milestones?

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: 10K faster or aiming for Half marathon

Postby purdy65 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:32 am

Welcome!

I would say, if you are looking to go up to the half marathon distance, your best bet is to slowly increase your distance over the next while (not more than 10%) You can do this by adding a run, or lengthening some of the runs you currently do.

Trust me - increased speed will come with this steady increase, and consistent volume.

I have coached many runners similar to you towards their first half marathon (RR Clinic - which might be a good suggestion if they have one near you!), and it's definitely possible. The August 15K is a good idea too! That will be a good fitness test for you.

At this stage, consistency and remaining free of injury will be the keys. Try not to dwell a huge amount on your pace.

Good luck!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: 10K faster or aiming for Half marathon

Postby HCcD » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:32 am

If you are looking at a late Fall 1/2 marathon debut, then, if my math is correct, a 20 week training schedule would start in July or so .. and, you would be more than ready to be tackling an August 15K, from a training point-of-view ...

One of the benefits of training for a half marathon, is that, inevitably, by improving your endurance in both the long runs and cumulated weekly volume, it would indirectly improve your 10K race fitness, as a result ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “Training ”