20-minutes of moderate exercise boosts cognitive ability

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

20-minutes of moderate exercise boosts cognitive ability

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:27 pm

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-int ... ve-ability

The research looked at how people did on a cognitive ability test after each of three workouts: 10-minute cycle at moderate intensity, 20-minute cycle at moderate intensity and 45-minute cycle at moderate intensity, with each of the rides preceded by a 5-minute warm-up and followed by a 5-minute cooldown. The participants' scores on the cognitive ability test were compared to their performance on the test when they hadn't exercised.

The cognitive ability task was what's known as a Stroop test. In it, words representing colors are presented, and the test taker is required to say what color the word is printed in, regardless of what color the word represents. For example, if the word "green" is presented in red ink, the correct answer is "red." The Stroop effect describes the phenomenon in which it takes longer or is harder to give the right answer when the word is printed in a different color than the color it names (as in the example above) than when the word and the color it's printed in are the same (for example, if "green" were printed in green ink).

When the participants did the Stroop test after their 20-minute ride, they scored significantly better than when they'd taken it without working out first. The 10-minute and 45-minute workouts, however, had negligible effect on their test performance, as measured by accuracy and speed of response.

Of course, if you look at the original research you see that the sample size was very small- only 26 individuals and all "healthy young men." So.... not sure if this is universally applicable. But most of us can probably identify that "sweet spot" of workout length and intensity that helps get us through our day. So go ahead and justify that lunch-time workout by saying "it's helping me work." :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: 20-minutes of moderate exercise boosts cognitive ability

Postby La » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:03 am

I'm always trying to convince my mother that her cognitive ability will be helped more by going for a 20-min walk than by sitting on the couch doing Sudoku. :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:31 am

La wrote:I'm always trying to convince my mother that her cognitive ability will be helped more by going for a 20-min walk than by sitting on the couch doing Sudoku. :lol:

I'd phrase it this way: a 20 minute walk will help you do better at Sudoku. :lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:49 am

Maybe moderate is the key. I always find I'm pretty stupid after a run, especially speedwork. I tend to do speedwork at lunchtime (say 12-1) and I try not to schedule anything requiring me to be smart from 1-2, my coworkers have commented that I'm vacant when I get back from a run.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:36 am

Also something we should really keep in mind for kids in school. Good teachers and programs already know that incorporating regular breaks for kids to just move around end up helping their concentration when they come back. But too often we see these periods being cut or limited.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Training ”