Ok - this is Crazy!

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Ok - this is Crazy!

Postby KaTyBrown » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:29 am

You all know abt my knee problems --- :(
First doctor - diagnosis - Water on the knee
Second doctor at hospital - diagnosis - Chronically sprained knee.

Went to Ortho-surgeon yday - diagnosis - "none of the above ' after 5 xrays:-
Osteo-arthritis in both knees! I knew I had it in the right knee already but now in both. No walking - not even leisure walking for 6 more weeks, physio to strengthen the l.knee, use brace when outside or on stairs (our house is split-level--duh!) and cane when problems with pain. Starting physio tomorrow and see him in six weeks. this guy does know his stuff has a good reputation around here.

I am continuing to do upper-core exercises bec I don't want to lose all my muscle :cry: but Man, do I ever miss my walking!
In time will be allowed to procede once more but for now....

Good health to all! :)
Karen

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:35 am

I am glad you finally got the right diagnosis. So, i guess that means no surgery needed right- good news :D

I am sure that if you follow the physio and allow yourself the 6 weeks off, you will be back at eventually, i know it is frusterating right now, but you will be back walking and hopefully pain free!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:46 am

Getting a diagnosis is the first step!

You'll be back - osteo isn't about "sitting around and getting old :wink: " It is about using it! You just need to be kind to it first!

How about some swimming? Is that allowed?

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:56 am

Size5 wrote:Getting a diagnosis is the first step!

You'll be back - osteo isn't about "sitting around and getting old :wink: " It is about using it! You just need to be kind to it first!

How about some swimming? Is that allowed?

S5

GETTING OLD???????? N E V E R!! :lol: Swimming - that is another story - I can float from here to England as long as my feet can touch the ground, but don't ask me to put my head under water! Took lessons for a phobia I have from nearly drowning when I was 8 (ancient years ago - Heather wld say) and I only am still able to float on my back :oops: :cry: oh well,,,, I don't like water except in a bubble-bath :wink:

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:57 am

Water running with a belt??? Head always above water???

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:13 am

Oh Karen... that's not fun.

But, as Krista has already said - once you get over the next 6 weeks, keeping those knees in motion will be a big help down the road (pun intended :wink: ).

Take care & keep us in the loop on your recovery & pending RETURN to walking...

Tracy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:51 am

Good to hear that you finally have a diagnosis...

BTW...your attitude is great...yep...you'll be out on those roads in not time :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Glad to hear that you have some answers, but I can relate to not being able to do what you want!

I used water running when I couldn't run. I usually went with a friend and that way is wasn't as boring!

Good luck!

Colleen

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:06 am

I am also a fan of water running to be able to do something aerobic while you're injured. You might check out waterfit classes at a Y or community center pool, too. Music and other people make it more interesting than water-running alone. I used to hate the water and swimming, too but I love it now as an alternative to road stuff.

Hope things are looking up soon, KaTy!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:19 am

Jwolf wrote:I am also a fan of water running to be able to do something aerobic while you're injured. You might check out waterfit classes at a Y or community center pool, too. Music and other people make it more interesting than water-running alone. I used to hate the water and swimming, too but I love it now as an alternative to road stuff.

Hope things are looking up soon, KaTy!

Thanks! Know what really ticks me off? The doc at the hospital told me I had lots of muscle in my legs! Well......At physio Thursday I could not even lift a 2lb weight on my leg :cry: - she had to go down to 1lb!!! :oops:
The physiotherapist is the owner of the clinic and told me I have no muscle left in my left leg and the right is not much better :cry: so I have lots of exercises to do at home for the next week while at my daughter's. Today I am finding out how bad a condition I am in, because my leg muscles are awake now and they are telling me so.

I am still working on my core muscle s don't want to lose everything!!!!!!

thanks for listening ....

Karen

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:12 am

Hi KaTy, sorry to hear about your knee woes. I agree with S5,"You just need to be kind to it first!" Then later you can get back to your active lifestyle. I understand how difficult it can be to put your personal goals on hold while healing but you do have to be kind to your body when it tells you it's time! Maybe now is the time to cross train, set goals, etc. Hope to see you still posting here, there are not very many of us true walkers here. I am still "running" around after my 2 babies everyday. Not much "walking" yet. Really it is just a time factor :roll: I am feeling physically stronger (and leaner) everyday though. Hope to be back to my walking soon! Please take care.
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

Return to “Walking”