Welcome Donna!!

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Welcome Donna!!

Postby runjanerun » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:54 pm

Hey, Donna, WELCOME!!! Donna's my friend who was asking about the walking clinics and has been walking for the past several months in the Cambridge area! It is great to see that you have joined us!!

I have known Donna about 15 years. She used to live here in Trenton. I really miss her and her husband, Bob, and their son Derek, since they moved to southwestern Ontario. :( Thank God for computers so we get to keep up to date on what each other are doing!!

Don't forget to post a bio Donna! And tell everyone what your goals are -- because when everyone knows, then you absolutely have to follow through!! It is so much fun hearing about everyone's accomplishments! So we'll want to hear about yours -- even the snake encounters!!
Jane

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Welcome here, Donna!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Heath
Johnny Miles

Postby Heath » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:39 pm

Welcome, Donna!!! I am glad to see that you decided to join us on the site. I am really proud of you for what you have accomplished! Keep up the great work... and remember to have fun, that's what it is all about! :)
Heath

"Those who run seem to have all the fun!" - Madonna

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:10 pm

Welcome to the club Donna!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:25 pm

Welcome to the Cult, Donna ... :lol: err, Club ... the Club, that's what I really meant ... Welcome to the Club ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:35 pm

Maybe we can talk Donna into coming and walking the 5K at the Wolfe!! I know that Derek (her son) would probably love to run the 10K -- he did it a couple of years ago. And then they could join us for the M&G afterward!!!
Jane

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:04 am

welcome Donna...looking forward to meeting you soon...hmmm....maybe at The Wolfe :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:28 am

Glad to have you here!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:04 am

Welcome Donna.... Any friend of Jane & Heather's is a friend of ours!

Come on & join the army of orange at the Wolfe, it would be great to meet you!
8)
Tracy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Donna
Percy Williams

Postby Donna » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:28 am

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I am really enjoying the fitness clinic that I signed up for. It is only two weeks into the clinic and already I feel so much better. There is so much to learn. I think Derek and I will sign up for the Wolfe...got to start somewhere.

Oh and thanks Jane for telling me that you actually had to sign in before posting....just registering wasn't enough :oops:

Donna

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:31 am

I am so glad that you will sign up for the Wolfe, Donna!! It is going to be a really fun day!! And I am so happy that I will be around for your very first event!! My only regret is that I will be doing the 10K and won't be there to get your picture coming over the finish line as you will be done before me!!! We'll have to make sure that there is someone there with a camera!
Jane

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:33 am

Hey Donna HEllO!!!! :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:49 am

Welcome Donna
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:53 am

Welcome to the site Donna!
Just call me the thread killa

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:08 am

welcome donna, this is a great place to hang out!
somedays, even my lucky rocketship undies don't help

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:18 am

:clap:
Yeah - Welcome, Donna!!!!!!!!!!!

As a walker, most know that my Mother-legs says no,no to running, I know you will be happy trotting along with the rest of us walkers :D

Last Sunday was the second worst rainy,windy cold day I have ever walked in :cry: The first was the 5km Heart&Stroke last September in Ottawa. I had my camping poncho (one of those old yellowrubbery kind of things workers wear outside) over all my rain gear and I still got soaked to the skin!! BUT it was great - had a great time with my Pte.Claire half marathon walking group - total of 7 headed out and we did about 9km (sched. for 12) but sooooo wet we bailed... :D
Oh well....

I am very glad this forum is now open for the walkers and runners who want to know how much we train and do it in all kinds of weather (not just in shopping malls,,heehee)

Happy walking folks! and those who run....Happy running!

Karen

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi Donna, so glad to see another walker here! I too am new at this. Very new after 2 years of babies (8 week old and 16 month old) I am very much in need of this exercise! I can't wait to hear the story about the snakes? :shock:
I am planning to "walk" the 5 k race in Orangeville in June so maybe we can share stories after! When is this Wolfe event? I am so happy to see another walker here :dance:
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

Donna
Percy Williams

Postby Donna » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:40 am

Don't worry Jane. You'll probably pass me and be waiting at the finish line!

We have some great paths here in Cambridge to walk on. I guess they are more like trails. I have seen all kinds of wildlife and in March as my husband and I were on our daily walk I was commenting how exhilarating it was to walk outside (I've always been a treadmill girl) I turned around and stopped dead in my tracks because just in front of me was a snake...one more step and I'd have been on him. I have this phobia about snakes. It goes beyond fear. So that was the end of the trail walks. The area we live in isn't too bad we are across the street from a river so I start walking up the road and I hear the familiar rustle look down and another one!! So for the time being I have found a great indoor track in Kitchener. It has a great surface, no hills, lots of windows, not too many people. I can listen to my mp3 player and if needed there are flush toilets available. Most importantly though....NO SNAKES!!

Seriously though I have to find a nice area to walk outdoors.

The Wolfe Island Classic in on the 2nd of July. It is in the Kingston area. My son has ran it before and so has Jane and they say it is a great run race. Good luck in Orangeville in June luvmybabies. You'll have to keep us up to date how it is going.

I am glad to be here it is going to be great to have other walkers and runners to compare notes with.

Donna

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:47 am

Donna_Ont wrote:I turned around and stopped dead in my tracks because just in front of me was a snake...one more step and I'd have been on him. I have this phobia about snakes. It goes beyond fear. So that was the end of the trail walks. The area we live in isn't too bad we are across the street from a river so I start walking up the road and I hear the familiar rustle look down and another one!!

Oh I know what you mean! I don't have a problem with tame snakes or garter snakes... but the unknown ones really freak me out! When we were in Italy we heard and saw snakes in the grass in this park we were walking in, and it was scaring me because for all I know they could be deadly Italian snakes, lol. Then one day I was walking alone and there was a stone wall beside me with grassy area on top... so the snakes were right next to my head! I was so freaked out.... so yeah, I'd probably do the same as you and find somewhere else to walk...lol.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Walking”