how come this site is sooooo sloooowwwww

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

how come this site is sooooo sloooowwwww

Postby KaTyBrown » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:38 am

I know you maniacs walk for cross-training so how come no one bothers to write stuff on this forum site??? huh??? why why
You are forgetting about us walkers - we may be a small bunch on the maniac count but we are here - especially lil' ole' me.. :cry:
I feel sooo alone....

Who can I vent to? Today after not walking all week bec of knee probs I feel blah! and have my clinic tonight so doubtful if I shld walk before seeig the dr/man on Tuesday - only two weeks left in the clinic with 10ks each Sunday that I don't think I shld do until he advises. Think it is arthritis setting in like the right knee =- !@*#&$( and other words not printable. But I will not give in to it!

thks for reading - have a good weekend running/walking

Karen

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:41 am

Why so long before seeing a doc ??? :roll: :evil:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:41 am

I walked to and from the massage therapist today, does that count? :wink:

Seriously, take care of the knee(s)!
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:44 am

HCD wrote:Why so long before seeing a doc ??? :roll: :evil:

Waited the 3 weeks to see if got better with ice/rest. then when I called last monday to the sports doctor - I have to get another referral from my own doc to see him EVEN THO I am a patient of his :evil:
So called right away and the earliest he cld see me is Tuesday :roll:
The medical system really kills me these days - if I was dying would they see me quicker? and that is why I have waited.....

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:44 am

I'm not much of a walker, I don't think I have the ability to walk fast....everytime I try I end up slowing down to a stroll as soon as I stop paying attention :?

hope your knee is better Karen, keep us posted!!

btw....you DO count :wink:
somedays, even my lucky rocketship undies don't help

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:47 am

deb wrote:I'm not much of a walker, I don't think I have the ability to walk fast....everytime I try I end up slowing down to a stroll as soon as I stop paying attention :?

hope your knee is better Karen, keep us posted!!

btw....you DO count :wink:

Sheesh!! - Can you tell I am in a bitc...y mood today? :lol: This is really getting me down... I love my clinic and my walks with those who show up but gosh - maybe I should go eat some ice cream now.....Celebrex is helping out quite a bit (I think)..

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:50 am

KaTyBrown wrote:

Waited the 3 weeks to see if got better with ice/rest. then when I called last monday to the sports doctor - I have to get another referral from my own doc to see him EVEN THO I am a patient of his :evil:
The medical system really kills me these days - if I was dying would they see me quicker? and that is why I have waited.....

What ??? :shock: :evil:

Last year, when I messed up my achilles tendons, I just called the Sports Med Clinic directly and got the first available doctor, at the Corel Sports Medical Center (or whatever it's called) ... no referrals, no nuttin ...

I guess things may be different in Ontario, or may be just doctor to doctor ... :?

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:53 am

HCD wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:

Last year, when I messed up my achilles tendons, I just called the Sports Med Clinic directly and got the first available doctor, at the Corel Sports Medical Center (or whatever it's called) ... no referrals, no nuttin ...

I guess things may be different in Ontario, or may be just doctor to doctor ... :?

Ah well.....Quebec - I guess....I know that clinic bec my grandaughters and Bruyere's neices, play soccer for Nepean Storm and Nepean Ringette and have been there - they are good! Wish I lived near them...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:55 am

KaTyBrown wrote:
HCD wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:

Ah well.....Quebec - I guess....I know that clinic bec my grandaughters and Bruyere's neices, play soccer for Nepean Storm and Nepean Ringette and have been there - they are good! Wish I lived near them...

Perhaps, you and Heather should move back to Ottawa ... :P :wink:

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:59 am

HCD wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:
HCD wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:

Actually - we have never lived there, our daughter and Sister lives in Bells Corners BUT if it were me, I would move in a second and even leave the furniture behind! but hubby-dearest won't leave this house.I love Ottawa and will be there tomorrow for the day - seems I am having 'grand-girls withdrawals' haven't seen them in a few weeks :lol:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:00 am

KaTyBrown wrote:
HCD wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:
HCD wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:

Actually - we have never lived there, our daughter and Sister lives in Bells Corners BUT if it were me, I would move in a second and even leave the furniture behind! but hubby-dearest won't leave this house.I love Ottawa and will be there tomorrow for the day - seems I am having 'grand-girls withdrawals' haven't seen them in a few weeks :lol:

Umm, they do move houses nowadays ... :wink:

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:03 am

Can you imagine how much that would cost to move this house? besides being a semi-detached split-level they would have to cut it apart...guess will just have to wait and see what happens in a couple of years...maybe hubby will relent but doubt it.
tks for replies - this has lifted my lousy mood. a chuckle is always good for the soul :lol:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:08 am

Katy, sorry to hear you're feeling lonely in here. :(

The unfortunate fact is that we don't have very many walkers here... but that will hopefully change, which is why we added this section. How about inviting some of your friends from your group walks to RM? That's the best way to make it grow. :)

I keep trying to get my mom to visit... she loves walking as exercise... but she is so busy. :(
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:17 am

Hmmmm....

I am walking tomorrow and Sunday...a LOT!

I wish I had a RunningMania.com shirt to wear to maybe encourage some of those other walkers to come over here.

Wait! I DO have one!

And, both my Betty and my T-shirt are coming on the walk with me (not at the same time)! I'm bringing some tattoos and business cards, too! :D

Hopefully I can encourage more walkers to come and visit.

In the meantime, I hope your knee feels better. :(
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:55 am

gjennifer wrote:Hmmmm....

I am walking tomorrow and Sunday...a LOT!

I wish I had a RunningMania.com shirt to wear to maybe encourage some of those other walkers to come over here.

Wait! I DO have one!

And, both my Betty and my T-shirt are coming on the walk with me (not at the same time)! I'm bringing some tattoos and business cards, too! :D

Hopefully I can encourage more walkers to come and visit.

In the meantime, I hope your knee feels better. :(

Thanks - wish *I* had a t-shirt.... but alas! I guess will have to run to get one - hey! how about *Walking Maniac* t-shirts - at least you would have one sold - to me! haha

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:10 am

Well, I've been walking. Since I broke my collarbone a few weeks ago, its all I can do. Took a few days to get used to the slow pace, but I've got to like it.
I've had a long time goal to travel the Rideau Trail from Ottawa to Kingston, so this was a chance to fill in some blanks. Walked from Richmond (south of Ottawa) thru Perth and down to Narrows Lock, in 20km chunks over the last couple of weeks. Also did a 20km loop in Frontenac Prov. Park, where I plan to do a fat-ass trail marathon on Oct 14. (Anybody listening?)
It's been fun, and a nice change. Yesterday I did my first little jog, with the dog, and today I'll try another longer one, and maybe a little bike ride.

Ron

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:06 pm

KatyBrown (it's Karen, right?), I am sorry that you are feeling so frustrated. It must be a real downer to not be able to do the walking and help lead the clinic that you are doing. I know that I would be upset.

I'm at Donna's place and she is busy cooking supper right now (she refused my help), but we did a walk today at the Pinehurst Conservation Area. I posted on today's (Sat) daily thread about it. Maybe later on when we have eaten and cleaned up she will post her own report about it on here. She and her husband are doing great with their walking...... She doesn't post much, but I know she reads about your walking experiences. She is just cyber-shy. :wink:

Donna may be looking for tips on walking hill training, if you have any....
Jane

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:26 pm

KatyBrown...sorry your knee has been troubling you :oops:

I agree with Holly...you gotta recruit some of your running buddies!

Ron...darn...October 14 is a day before my first FullM ...otherwise I'd be hiking/walking with you in a heartbeat...I do most of my hiking in Frontenac Park in the Fall.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:39 pm

runjanerun wrote:KatyBrown (it's Karen, right?), I am sorry that you are feeling so frustrated. It must be a real downer to not be able to do the walking and help lead the clinic that you are doing. I know that I would be upset.

I'm at Donna's place and she is busy cooking supper right now (she refused my help), but we did a walk today at the Pinehurst Conservation Area. I posted on today's (Sat) daily thread about it. Maybe later on when we have eaten and cleaned up she will post her own report about it on here. She and her husband are doing great with their walking...... She doesn't post much, but I know she reads about your walking experiences. She is just cyber-shy. :wink:

Donna may be looking for tips on walking hill training, if you have any....

Hi and yes, I am Karen, Heather (Bruyere's Mum)... I do get frustrated but now I have started taking the *one day at a time* attitude.
I can tell Donna that I, personally, when walking hills look to the horizon or top of the hill and it seems to level out making it not seem so long or hard to walk up. Go with the hips and legs doing the work and those hills will not seem like mountains at all. Think of how slim those hips will be :lol: bonus! Seriously though for some reason I was told by my first hill trainer and it works. As for her being shy, I would love to help her, let her pm me and I will answer.
p.s. betcha' dinner was super & how was the wine?? :wink:

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:56 pm

I will let Donna know to check out your tips for hills.

And dinner was GREAT! I am afraid that any calories we wore off this morning have been added back on, and then some!

Now we are all trying to stay awake (why does wine make you sleepy?"

By the way, I met your daughter when I was in Montreal, as she might have told you and you might have seen in the photos. She is a lovely person! Maybe I'll get to meet you too one day!
Jane

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:31 pm

KaTyBrown wrote:

I can relate! I hurt my knee in April of last year - I may finally get it scoped in November of this year. I have been through four months of physio, a six month wait for a MRI, another four month wait for my first appointment with the orthopedic surgeon and another four months wait for my surgery.

Total time just waiting - 14 months! :evil:

Good luck with your knee!

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:13 am

eme wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:

I can relate! I hurt my knee in April of last year - I may finally get it scoped in November of this year. I have been through four months of physio, a six month wait for a MRI, another four month wait for my first appointment with the orthopedic surgeon and another four months wait for my surgery.

Oh my gosh! and I complained about waiting? Consider me slapped on the wrist - yikes....hope all goes well for you.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:34 am

KaTyBrown wrote:
eme wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:

Oh my gosh! and I complained about waiting? Consider me slapped on the wrist - yikes....hope all goes well for you.

Don't worry about complaining - I have done more than my fair share of it! :wink:
Last edited by eme on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:39 am

I went for a one hour walk yesterday afternoon after my morning shift at the golf course. Someone told me about a paved path in my neighbourhood that I didn't even know about and I wanted to check it out before I tried running on it. I was all set for a really long walk, but it turned out to only be 5km, which took me an hour. It is a nice paved path and probably great for running or cycling on, but it's not long enough.

Donna
Percy Williams

Postby Donna » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:52 pm

Well I finally got into the site. Seems everytime I have had a few moments the past couple of days it wouldn't load.

Karen I hope your knee is feeling better and let us know what the doctor has to say tomorrow. I have had knee problems too. Before I started walking my knees actually "squeaked" when I went up the stairs. I can't believe I let myself get to the shape I was in.....oh well that is all in the past but my knees still bother me a bit. I have started to take Glucosamine and have noticed an improvement but when I go to my doctor for my yearly check up I will mention it to her. I was also wondering if I might need orthodics. It seems like everyone I talk to has them. When I go for my walks my knees always start out hurting but about 5 minutes into it they are just fine, no pain at all.

On Saturday I went to the Toad practice and I have a whole new respect for people that do trail runs or walks....you guys are awesome!! I had no idea......I am just glad I didn't sign up for the Toad this year....I am soooo not ready! I have been waiting all summer for this. I started out just a pumping along and got progressively slower. I forgot everything I learned about hills but I did manage to get through the 12.5 km loop and I wined but I absolutely loved it. Jane kept saying it is like child birth ....you'll forget after we are finished. My everything hurt all day yesterday, last night and this morning :oops: but I can't wait to get out for a walk tomorrow!

Donna

Return to “Walking”