Rocky Raccoon 2013 - a report

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Rocky Raccoon 2013 - a report

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:01 pm

I have a friend who did her first 100 mile race. Good thing she got pacers other than me cuz I don't know that I would have encouraged her to keep going. It took her 29h55min (30 hour time limit).

Here is I posted on FB:

I finished the Rocky Raccoon 100 Miles on 2/3/2013. I was the first runner arrived at Damation Aid Station in the dark. I heard far away: "Welcome to Damnation!", Then they reported through the radio, we just got our first 4 runners. I started after 5:05AM on Saturday morning when the early birds already took off. I ran by myself and figure out my direction, passed all the early birds. I continued running in the dark with the moon, the sky gradually turned on, my headlamp seemed relatively dim. But I was released, it would be warmer soon since I started with shorts and sleeveless. Unexpected, I fell by the roots at mile 8, my left arm was covered with dust. I told myself that I need to be careful. However I fell again at mile 9.5 with my face and right leg on the ground. There were minor skin damage on the leg and full of dust on my face and mouth. Finished loop 1 at 3h 45M for 20 miles.

Changed my dirty shirts, cleaned my feet, leg, arm and face, put on new socks, I jumped back into loop 2. I found light headache from the beginning, didn't figure out why. Felt sick in my stomach. I tried to eat some pub sandwich, salt stick and gel, which made me felt even sicker. The sun was up and the weather was getter hotter after 10AM. I decided to drink water only since any sweet food would make me sick. I saw my friend June at the Nature Cener Aid Station at mile 23, always happy to see friends in the middle of the forest. I finished loop two at 4 Hours for mile 40.

Quickly wiped out the dirt and put on the clean socks, I started loop 3. I felt headache, nauseous, hungry and fever. I started eating noodle soup, but it didn't sit me well. I tried to eat Quesadia with cheese, still felt sick. I felt the pain on my left ankle during loop 2, now it was getting worse. I slowed down by walking uphill. I'd been convincing myself that I got to finish the 60 miles, then I would see my pacer. I finished loop 3 around 6:00PM before it was getting too dark. With the speed, I thought I still could finish under 24 hours.

This time, I changed everything: shoes, socks, bras, shirts, shorts and add the headlamp back. My third pacer was trying to find everything I need for my changes. I jumped into the dark without my pacer, who was on his way to Huntsville State Park, he didn't expect I finished 60 miles so early. My second pacer decided to change clothes and caught up with me. My first pacer decided to wait for me at the first Aid Station to replace the second pacer after my second pacer just caught up with me for two minutes. My left ankle was too painful to run, my pacer asked me try to run few times, then concluded that I would be better off by walking since walking wasn't as painful as running, which could still make 4 miles per hour. At this point, my pacer and I decide just finish instead of the timeline of 24 hours. We finally moved back to the last Aid Station, my pacer found some tape to tape my ankle up since my left ankle was swollen very badly. We made it to the end of loop 4 for 80 miles. I went to the doctor's shelter, who put on the ice on my feet while my pacer tried to change my headlamp battery, get me refilled with water, find me the second jacket and painkiller cream. I was extremely tired and weak, but I could not sleep and could not eat. The doctor asked me if I would stop at this point. I told him:"No, I will finish this even I have to crawl to finish line!" Another runner was shipped to doctor's shelter by boat because she had the same type of injuries. The doctor put a thick layer of bondage and added additional tapes on my feet and released me.

My second pacer and I went back to the loop 5 at 2:49 AM on Sunday morning. It was cold with beautiful stars. I could hardly open my eyes, and moved inch by inch. I asked my pacer find me a stick. He found one burned out branch as my stick. It didn't take long that my white gloves turned into black. It took us almost two hours to reach the first Aid Station, I had a cup of Chocolate, which didn't make me sick right away. The volunteer came to talk to me :"You've done 83 miles, you have conquered the majority, you can finish the last few miles and you have plenty time to finish." Half awake and half sleep, I thought about what he said, he was right! I asked my pacer and the volunteer to pull me out of the chair, we continued the slow journey. I told my pacer that I really want to finish this race and take a hot shower or just wanted lying on the trail to sleep for few minutes. I sat down on a log, try to take a nap for just a few minutes. My pacer would tell me:"5 minutes break is over, time to go!" Even I was sleepy, I still knew he lied to me. But I knew why he lied to me: it was just too cold to sit or sleep while I was weak, sick and hungry. We reached mile 90, another runner commented that we only have 3.5 hours left to reach the finish line. Since I started early, I only have 2.5 hours left. My pacer did the math, we decided to speed up the walking, I finally overcome the sleepiness. We started walking faster, but still very concerned if I could finish on time. We decided to try run and walk strategy. But my left feet was taped, it was nearly impossible to run. My third pacer found us at the Damnation Aid Station, she helped me get rid of the tapes on my feet. I started run again, but still walk on the hills. My second pacer kept me on the reality of miles and time left. I started eating one gel, then 2 salt sticks, ran half miles, ate another gel. The desire to finish on time dominated my brain, I started running at any possible surface for last 6 miles. My pacers warned me on the dangerous roots and my speed, meanwhile, threw out tons of encouragement words on me. I only had energy to run instead of replying to my pacer, but I remember they said I was suddenly re-alived. I crossed the finish line with my pacer before the deadline.

The tear was the only thing left after crossing the finish line since language was too pale to express my happiness. I wanted to thank my pacers for their support and commitment to spend the weekend to help me and witness the pain, hardship I went through, and made it possible for me crawling towards the finish line. Their help and friendship became the most valuable memory curved in my mind.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Re: Rocky Raccoon 2013 - a report

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for sharing Annabelle's report -- was this her first 100-miler?? Be sure to congratulate her on our behalf!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

OLRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby OLRunner » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Congratulations to your friend. I liked her RR.
"We still got a long way to go" Alice Cooper
"I don't wanna stop" Ozzy Osbourne

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Wow!! Now that takes intestinal fortitude in great quantities! Not only her but her pacers were pretty dedicated as well. Congrats to all of them.

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 am

Great report.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 am

She told it like it was ... tough slugging but it was all about getting to the finish. Pass on my configurations.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”