Losing my Soul.....(weekly update)

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Size5
Lynn Williams

Losing my Soul.....(weekly update)

Postby Size5 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:04 pm

They say that runners who do ultras can exeperience a point in their race in which their soul appears to leaves their body temporarily in an effort to finish the race.... I'm not sure I've ever experienced that but I do like to run ultra distance.

Although I've been a bit skitish about saying much, I have set my sights on another ultra this year. And, I've hired a new coach. So, with that in mind, I'm on the road to a rock.... The prize given to those who complete the Lost Soul's Ultra. I'm going to aim at the 50km distance. My main goals are to 1) see the course and consider if I can ever run 100 miles there and 2) Place Ok despite how much more difficult this course is compared to Blackfoot.

So for fun, I thought I'd post some weekly updates on my journey to another ultra..... Might just be planting a seed or two for some maniacs along the way :wink:

So I"m out of the closet, so to speak....

http://www.lostsoulultra.com/

S5
Last edited by Size5 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:12 pm

Good for you Krista, that's awesome!
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:56 pm

It's about time you ADMITTED it! lol

Good luck, you'll do great I'm sure. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Gear Boy
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gear Boy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:19 pm

See how much better it is to admit you're crazy and get on with it? :lol:
(Krista will now proceed to roll her eyes...)

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:18 am

I'll be following your training closely! Keep us up to date!

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:45 am

wow - you said it out loud AGAIN! congratulations on your goal. happy trails.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:32 am

Gear Boy wrote:See how much better it is to admit you're crazy and get on with it? :lol:
(Krista will now proceed to roll her eyes...)
:roll: because I'd hate to dissapoint you....

It was when you asked "so did you hire a coach for general fitness or something in particular?" that made me realize I really needed to put it out there.....

Remember I'm always on the look out for crew :twisted: and we all know what a nasty runner I can be :twisted: so play nice....

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:46 am

AWESOME...I'll be following your progess with interest....not because I ever want to do an Ultra...I just want tips so when I'm support crew for Kristi's first one :shock: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:57 am

I never knew that you were IN the closet! :wink:

You go! That's great!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:15 am

Now you're taunting me! I still haven't decided about this one, but good for you! You'll do great!

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:16 am

I look forward to reading about your progress. Krista, you are such an inspiration to me!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:17 am

good for you!!

when you say that you want to see the course.....is it a lot tougher than the blackfoot?

i.e. will the 50 km be as "difficult" as the 50 miles?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:26 am

OK, if this one ius the toughest ultra on the pairires, which one is the easiest one?

Well, cuz, yeah, I'm interested....
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:28 am

I wish I had your guts!!! :roll:

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:55 am

Wow that's sooo exciting.

And if you need someone to crew for you I'll be happy to do it. I don't even care if you grump at me. :D Oh but I'll pay you back for that......just mark my words...

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:37 am

irongirl wrote:good for you!!

when you say that you want to see the course.....is it a lot tougher than the blackfoot?

i.e. will the 50 km be as "difficult" as the 50 miles?

I haven't ran it, but the coulees in Lethbridge are pretty extreme in terms of vertical, and there are snakes in the area, rattlesnakes actually.

A couple of guys I was talking to at the Blackfoot said that the LS climbs are tough, really tough, and make the hardest hills on Blackfoot look like nothing.

But, all that aside, I'm wanting to tackle it too :-)

--

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:02 am

Krista,
Good luck with your new training goal. :)
Just curious as to why you decided to get a new coach? Who will you be working with now? And how different is the new coach's philosophy?

I also have a question about ultra training in general... with marathon training, the idea is usually to do long training runs at a slower pace than the race. How does it work for ultra training? Since the total distance of the race is so much longer than the training runs sometimes, my guess is that you'd have to stick to the same long run pace... and the conditions are so variable (terrain, etc.) that there would be so many other factors involved. And I guess the strategy would be quite different for a 50K vs. 80K or ::gulp:: 100 miles!!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:44 am

Jwolf wrote:I also have a question about ultra training in general... with marathon training, the idea is usually to do long training runs at a slower pace than the race. How does it work for ultra training? Since the total distance of the race is so much longer than the training runs sometimes, my guess is that you'd have to stick to the same long run pace... and the conditions are so variable (terrain, etc.) that there would be so many other factors involved. And I guess the strategy would be quite different for a 50K vs. 80K or ::gulp:: 100 miles!!

Jennifer, you're not getting the ultra bug are you?? :-)

The long run pacing is a tough question, for many of the reasons you mentioned. For me, it was slower than my marathon long run pacing, and my race pace (overall average) ended up being slower than my training pace. Here's some data on that (all in min/mile):
Marathon race pace: 7:50
Long run training pace: 8:40 - 9:10
ultra long run pace: 9:15 - 10:00
ultra race pace (100k): 11:05 (ranges from 9:10 - 14:00 over the course of the race)

The hardest part of the training is to find a pace you can hold for a long time. At the peak of my training I did a 6 hour run at 9:25 miles, then a 4 hour run the next day at 9:35. Finding that magic pace that I could hold without killing myself took some time to figure out. The hardest part for me was to try and simulate the hilly terrain of the course here in flatland Winnipeg.

The other variable in overall race pace is the time spent in aid stations. They are typically not like in a marathon where you grab your water cup and keep going. At the Blackfoot, there were small buffets in the middle of the woods where I would spend a minute or two, drinking, eating, re-filling my camelback, etc. At the half way point I changed from a long sleeve to a short sleeve shirt and put on fresh socks as well, that was a 6 minute stop.

Hope you're thinking of coming over to the other 'dark side' :-)

Dwayne

--

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:45 am

Jwolf wrote:Just curious as to why you decided to get a new coach? Who will you be working with now? And how different is the new coach's philosophy?

I also have a question about ultra training in general... with marathon training, the idea is usually to do long training runs at a slower pace than the race. How does it work for ultra training?

When I hired my first coach, I asked around for suggestions on coaches. I really did want to use a Canadian (just because I like to support our own) but I didn't get any suggestions for Canadian coaches that wanted to take on an ultramarathoner. I did however get suggestions for the coach I choose (an american fellow). I liked my coach but it was super expensive. I gave up a lot to have him. I am happy with the result I got and I also understand that some of that happened because I'm VERY disciplined. My old coach missed a fair amount of small details. The first 5+ weeks of my workouts had someone else's name at the top of the workout (meaning I felt like it was a cookie cutter approach)..... He never called me and always sent me emails that said "we need to talk on the phone" *sigh* for the money I paid, I think you should call me....

I'm not entirely sure how the new coach's philosophy does differ. He certainly uses way more varried pacing through the workouts (which probably helps build more speed and indirectly builds endurance). He coaches a group of ultra runners in the USA and I asked them what they thought.... they were happy. They like the high mileage and the varried workouts.

Ultra training is about building endurance and getting your body to adjust to "time on your feet". Pace is just less important and the focus shifts to finishing.... (obviously pace is important for some runners...). I find the pace you run your longer runs at IS your race pace. You also have to train specific to the terrain of the race or you'll struggle. For me, that is going to mean a whole lot of hills.....

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:54 am

dsandall wrote:Hope you're thinking of coming over to the other 'dark side' :-)

I think we should call it "The Black Hole", 'cause it's soooo dark...

(And yeah, I can contemplate a time, in the far distant future, when I might get sucked into The Black Hole... I just have this little race in Massachusetts to think about first...)

- P.
Boston Marathon Finisher, April 21, 2008
Read about my Around the World Adventure at Go See Run Eat Drink

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:59 am

Prairiekid wrote:
dsandall wrote:Hope you're thinking of coming over to the other 'dark side' :-)

I think we should call it "The Black Hole", 'cause it's soooo dark...

:lol:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Thanks for the answers, Dwayne and Krista...
dsandall wrote:Jennifer, you're not getting the ultra bug are you?? :-)

umm.... NO! Considering how hard I found the marathon, and how hard a time I'm having getting back up to any decent mileage... ultrarunning is not something I'm considering now. I'm just always interested in learning about different types of training.

At the Blackfoot, there were small buffets in the middle of the woods where I would spend a minute or two, drinking, eating, re-filling my camelback, etc.
Then again, that sounds kind of nice. :wink:
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

kferguson1
Tom Longboat

Postby kferguson1 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:58 pm

My sister and I looked into this race earlier in the year but realized that we are mere mortals and that we'd probably kill ourselves if we tried the 50K.

I am so envious of the ROCK!!!

I looked on the website and it seems like its a very well planned and supported race. You are going to have a blast.
~~~
Kari
~~~

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:23 pm

kferguson1 wrote:My sister and I looked into this race earlier in the year but realized that we are mere mortals and that we'd probably kill ourselves if we tried the 50K.

I am so envious of the ROCK!!!

Oh trust me I am a mere mortal myself! I just believe.

And, I'd like a rock for every distance in their race :D

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:13 pm

Congrats Krista!

Maybe you should start a blog for your updates. Then you can ramble on and on to yourself and sometimes people post comments so you know they're reading it. I'm looking forward to looking back at mine one day! I'll even put a link from mine to yours. It will be fun :D

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”