Your Favourite Winter Running Jacket

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Avis
Jerome Drayton

Re: Your Favourite Winter Running Jacket

Postby Avis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I actually just pulled my old firewall jacket out of storage (not cold enough here to need it ;) and tried it on again. Turns out the zipper is broken.

It's actually a large, which is too big for me (I wear a women's medium like you) but I wanted it roomy for layers underneath. I can send it to you for free if you want to see about getting the zipper replaced (no idea if it's worthwhile or not!).

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I might just be interested! I'll PM you. Thank you!! You are sweet :D !
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Ive used Saucony running pants for a few winters now, and they have treated me well. Even yesterday when it was below -30, I felt fine. Up top, I had an Adidas base layer, a Lululemon velocity mid-layer, a hoodie and a light Champion shell over all that. The hoodie and shell weren't really geared for running at all, but definitely kept me warm.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:12 pm

I have 2 different Asics jackets I use for winter running. Good piece of advice is pick up a neck warmer. One of my older jackets, the zipper used to freeze to my chin or get caught in my beard. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:33 pm

I have a cheap jacket I got at Reebok in the US whack I layer accordingly underneath. Tank top I can tuck in to keep my belly warm. A long sleeve with finger holes plus jacket on top. I wear my neck warmer longer than my full hat. It just seems to keep me warmer.

Under my tights if it is super cold I have a light base layer I will wear under my winter weight tights. I tend to get warmer quicker than my girlfriends. My gloves are like the thermostat ;)
The Summer of Eng is over.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:54 am

ultraslacker wrote:
It's actually a large, which is too big for me (I wear a women's medium like you) but I wanted it roomy for layers underneath.
My wife gave me one for Christmas! I love it but they are very slim fitting. I wear large, sometimes medium, and ended up with an XL. Could have lived with an XXL.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:59 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
It's actually a large, which is too big for me (I wear a women's medium like you) but I wanted it roomy for layers underneath.
My wife gave me one for Christmas! I love it but they are very slim fitting. I wear large, sometimes medium, and ended up with an XL. Could have lived with an XXL.

It ended up thus: Even the L women's Firewall was too tight across the shoulders and in the upper arms. There was no room for layering underneath (the store didn't have any XL). I am usually a women's M in tops. I tried a Men's S Firewall, which fit well in the shoulders, but was too short in the torso, way too long in the sleeves, and, of course, tight in the upper hip. I tried several jackets and finally chose a Salomon jacket which is perhaps a bit warmer than the Firewall. That, too, I had to get in a L. So far, I've been very happy with it.
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Engmomma wrote:I have a cheap jacket I got at Reebok in the US whack I layer accordingly underneath. Tank top I can tuck in to keep my belly warm. A long sleeve with finger holes plus jacket on top. I wear my neck warmer longer than my full hat. It just seems to keep me warmer.

Under my tights if it is super cold I have a light base layer I will wear under my winter weight tights. I tend to get warmer quicker than my girlfriends. My gloves are like the thermostat ;)

My head gets hot, and a frosty face doesn't bother me. My hands get broiling, and once I'm warmed up, I can actually run bare-handed down to -15. :shock: My torso usually heats up pretty well, too. It's my arms I'm finding to feel chilly this winter. Several folks have suggested arm warmers, esp. homemade ones made from tube socks. My backside is often cold, but I think I've figured that out: Smart Wool long undies ,then shorts, then winter running pants, that seems to do the trick.

Winter running has been pretty comfortable so far, except for the constant sheet ice underfoot!
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Avis wrote:It ended up thus: Even the L women's Firewall was too tight across the shoulders and in the upper arms. There was no room for layering underneath (the store didn't have any XL).
Yeah, the arms are a very close fit. However, I manage to get a long-sleeved running shirt and a lightweight MEC fleece under mine and have been comfortable in -30 with that rig. The nice thing about the Firewall is that it fits so close to the body that I don't get the usual freezing belly issues once I get a sweat going. It blocks the wind very well too and is long enough to provide about 3/4 butt coverage on me.

When my wife bought mine, all they had left was an XXL so she got that one to wrap up, figuring we'd go back and get a medium or large. Tried it on Christmas morning and was surprised to find it was not a bad fit, I actually went back and forth a few times in the shop before I decided on the XL. Probably the smallest-fitting stuff I've ever seen but Sugoi does say right on the tag that the fit is for slim athletic build. My buttertart-accentuated physique was probably not helping things.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:31 pm

I think the first post about a layer with a light shell is best. I have about 3-4 options. I have a firewall either 180 or 220 and its good but sometimes its too hot (even in the minus 1million days).

The shell to cut the wind, and med thickness shirt, is overall the best. I just use our team one from brooks, or sometimes my option 3 is the boston shell.

Windproofing is the #1 factor in winter running. Shoe grip is #2. The rest take care of themselves when you run.

Return to “Gearing Up”