Winter Running Shoe Advice

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
5km
Bill Crothers

Winter Running Shoe Advice

Postby 5km » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Now that the roads and sidewalks are covered in snow, ice, salt, slush and typical winter muck, I'll thinking of getting shoes more suited to the wet, slippery and messy conditions. I run in Asics Hyperspeeds year round. I'm currently on version 5. I like them because they are light, have a 4 mm drop and still have some cushioning. They are not, repeat not, waterproof! Last winter I resorted to putting plastic under the insoles. The holes in the outsole, presumably there for lightness, let water into the shoes. The plastic helped but not much.

My criteria for a winter running shoe include a heel-toe drop of approximately 4 mm, light weight, good traction, reasonable waterproofing and hopefully, but not essentially, sold by MEC. I've looked at a number of trail running shoes but a lot of them are too heavy and have too much heel.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Winter Running Shoe Advice

Postby HCcD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Sports 4 on Bank St., has one of the best selection of minimalist shoes out there, and carry most brands, as well ... Prices are competitive, if not, better than most other local shops, and now they are offering a 20% Sale on all regularly priced items this week .... :)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:17 pm

HCcD wrote:Sports 4 on Bank St., has one of the best selection of minimalist shoes out there, and carry most brands, as well ... Prices are competitive, if not, better than most other local shops, and now they are offering a 20% Sale on all regularly priced items this week .... :)

Good advice for a man who lives in Oakville :)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
HCcD wrote:Sports 4 on Bank St., has one of the best selection of minimalist shoes out there, and carry most brands, as well ... Prices are competitive, if not, better than most other local shops, and now they are offering a 20% Sale on all regularly priced items this week .... :)

Good advice for a man who lives in Oakville :)

Now you tell me ... :doh: :shifty: :oops: :oops:

Sports 4 will ship out ... think it is a standard $10.00 Canada Post ...

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 pm

5km wrote:Now that the roads and sidewalks are covered in snow, ice, salt, slush and typical winter muck, I'll thinking of getting shoes more suited to the wet, slippery and messy conditions. I run in Asics Hyperspeeds year round. I'm currently on version 5. I like them because they are light, have a 4 mm drop and still have some cushioning. They are not, repeat not, waterproof! Last winter I resorted to putting plastic under the insoles. The holes in the outsole, presumably there for lightness, let water into the shoes. The plastic helped but not much.

My criteria for a winter running shoe include a heel-toe drop of approximately 4 mm, light weight, good traction, reasonable waterproofing and hopefully, but not essentially, sold by MEC. I've looked at a number of trail running shoes but a lot of them are too heavy and have too much heel.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Interesting dilemma - every time I've looked, I've run into the same problem - winter shoes are chunky, heavy and have a ton of lift. I'm currently in Pegasus trails and they're exactly what you don't want.

Can you do a bit of DIY waterproofing with duct tape?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:33 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
5km wrote:Now that the roads and sidewalks are covered in snow, ice, salt, slush and typical winter muck, I'll thinking of getting shoes more suited to the wet, slippery and messy conditions. I run in Asics Hyperspeeds year round. I'm currently on version 5. I like them because they are light, have a 4 mm drop and still have some cushioning. They are not, repeat not, waterproof! Last winter I resorted to putting plastic under the insoles. The holes in the outsole, presumably there for lightness, let water into the shoes. The plastic helped but not much.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Interesting dilemma - every time I've looked, I've run into the same problem - winter shoes are chunky, heavy and have a ton of lift. I'm currently in Pegasus trails and they're exactly what you don't want.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Move here where its always cold and dry. Waterproof not required!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:47 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

And sheet metal screws! :lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:13 pm

MEC carries a couple of Nike models (the Free and the Air Pegasus) in the "Shield" versions, which in my experience have allowed me to stomp through ankle deep puddles without the slightest worry. Whether or not the other 90% of these shoes suit your tastes is to be determined, although I find that I can manage a wider range of shoes in winter than in summer.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Saucony Kinvara comes in a GTX (Goretex) version. Not sure about winter traction but it meets the other requirements.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:56 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Good advice for a man who lives in Oakville :)

Burlington actually ....

turd ferguson wrote:Interesting dilemma - every time I've looked, I've run into the same problem - winter shoes are chunky, heavy and have a ton of lift. I'm currently in Pegasus trails and they're exactly what you don't want.

I've been thinking of trying silcone adhesive to fill in the holes in the outsole of one of my old pair of shoes.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:58 pm

5km wrote:

Burlington actually ....

Hmmm. Did I buy a pair of Lunar Racers from you, Upper Middle near Glen Abbey? Or who was that?

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:08 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
5km wrote:

Burlington actually ....

Hmmm. Did I buy a pair of Lunar Racers from you, Upper Middle near Glen Abbey? Or who was that?

Nope. It wasn't me. I live in south Burlington.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:08 pm

I would worry about traction, not water proofing. Are your feet made of sugar? :lol: A good pair of wool running socks is worth more than its weight in gold... feet will dry. Unless it's stupid cold out in which case you still need wool socks! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:23 pm

HCcD wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nice nails Andy! :lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Spirit wrote:
HCcD wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nice nails Andy! :lol:

:lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:26 pm

I've been running in the Nike Free 5.0+Shield
They are weather proof and quite reflective (as most of my winter running seems to be done in the dark). My feet stay quite warm as there's no mesh for the wind to whip through...

22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Shh ... Santa bought me a pair of Saucony Peregrine 3's at MEC.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-437/sauc ... 0838+50983

The tread pattern is fairly aggressive and it feels like a pretty solid shoe. The toe box is a bit narrow, not too narrow I hope, and the ride is quite firm. I'm not wild about the colour but they have the 4 mm drop I'm used to. I haven't run in shoes like these for a long time. I'll be trying them out after Christmas.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:06 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:I've been running in the Nike Free 5.0+Shield
They are weather proof and quite reflective (as most of my winter running seems to be done in the dark). My feet stay quite warm as there's no mesh for the wind to whip through...

I've got a pair of Free's (not shield) and they're not the slightest bit grippy. How are they on snow and ice?

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Winter shoe update:
Well, I didn’t wait till Christmas to try the Saucony Peregrines. I decided that the toe box was indeed too narrow so I took them back to MEC and bought a pair of Merrell Mix Master Move Road Running Shoes. They have a nice wide toe box, a 4 mm drop and a lot more cushioning than Merrell’s other shoes. They feel more or less like my Asics Hyperspeeds but without holes in the outsoles. The ride is a lot more hard but replacing the insoles with softer ones seems to be working for me. I don’t want my plantar issues flaring up again. I still get the odd soaker but it’s from splashing and not pumping up water through the soles.

Oh, it didn’t hurt that the shoes were on sale. That was a nice surprise. So I ordered a second pair!

http://WWW.MEC.CA/product/5031-366/merr ... 0838+50982

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:55 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Hmmm. Did I buy a pair of Lunar Racers from you, Upper Middle near Glen Abbey? Or who was that?

that was me

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:09 pm

I had a pair of the saucony trail shoes with the gators built in. They were great for jumping into anyhting but they were heavy as anything. 15oz? I generally run in my newer lighter trail shoes - adizero xt3 but they're 10.5 and I've since switched to 11's and I think its a bit too tight for me now. So I'm also looking for a winter shoe that's similar enough to the Adizero Tempo 5's, which for anything but the winter, are the best shoes ever made IMO.

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:08 am

Thinking about buying trail shoes for winter running. It's traction I need - snowy/icy roads here. I've used yack tracks but don't like them. The shoes I'm looking at are NB 910s. They're called a cushion shoe; weight is 8.2 oz, so fairly light. My every day trainer is NB 890s (6.64 oz). Are trail shoes good for winter running? My biggest worry is putting myself at risk for injury (if the shoes aren't meant for the roads). I wouldn't wear them for every run, just the snowy/icy ones. I'm training for a marathon so they could potentially see lots of miles. Thoughts?
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:16 am

alexk wrote:Thinking about buying trail shoes for winter running. It's traction I need - snowy/icy roads here. I've used yack tracks but don't like them. The shoes I'm looking at are NB 910s. They're called a cushion shoe; weight is 8.2 oz, so fairly light. My every day trainer is NB 890s (6.64 oz). Are trail shoes good for winter running? My biggest worry is putting myself at risk for injury (if the shoes aren't meant for the roads). I wouldn't wear them for every run, just the snowy/icy ones. I'm training for a marathon so they could potentially see lots of miles. Thoughts?

I know nothing about the NB shoes, but I wear Ascis (like you), and I got some Asics Enduro (6) trail shoes. I figured since I wear Asics I may as well get the same brand of shoe I know and trust. I've done a few long runs in them, and a few shorter runs with no problems. I've only worn them when I know the trails are really snowy, as they are not cushy like my regular runners. So far, no problems. For ice I wear DueNorth ice and snow grips over my regular runners. Not sure if it helps your decision, but that what works for me.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks, Habs. I tried my friend's Duenorth grips and didn't like them either but she loves them. I'm a bit like the princess and the pea :). I should go look at the asics too - I still use my nimbus for long runs when my legs are tired! The 910s feel light and seem to have good cushion...and they are on sale for $74!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Return to “Gearing Up”