Ellipticals

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Ellipticals

Postby fingerboy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:58 am

My wife wants one and I've finally agreed to let her have it. I never plan to use it as I find the motion awkward, and it makes my hip click.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Re: Ellipticals

Postby Dstew » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:18 pm

I bought a very simple BH model. Manual or 12 programs. The one sort of weird part is the the workouts are broken down into 16 segments but the good news about that is on the longer workouts, I have no idea how long I have left in any one segment so some mental training.

The bad news/ good news: I managed to completely destroy the ball bearings and of course was using it while I was doing it. The good news it that BH covered parts and labor. They sent me the new part by courier and I had to send the old one back, postage paid so they do stand behind their product.

If I had the money, the Sole one was an interesting option. Used one in a fancy hotel and would have cost 50% more but some regret. Tons of features including i pod dock and a fan. The Sole has all of these different levels and not sure how much are actually effective and how much for marketing.

If money is no object, then Life Fitness. Used those in the gym I once lived literally right across the street.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:44 am

I love the life fitness machines but they are higher grade for gyms so they are pricey!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:03 pm

I have a Sole E35 and really like it, but don't know that I'd recommend it.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:29 pm

My recommendation for how to save $$$ on an elliptical

We have one and it gets no use whatsoever (compared to our treadmill which is in daily use). I don't know a single person that uses theirs other than as a laundry rack. You can probably get a lightly used one on kijiji.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:34 pm

I use my elliptical about 5 days a week.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:39 am

Over the last few winters, I have watched a movie or two while doing it. For those of us that needs a break from the pounding during the winter, a great machine and I may start to even use it during the summer. When I first hit the gym, I went to the elliptical because the use of ones arms appealed to me and who wanted to transform their body into one of those skinny runners who cannot open a jar by themselves. :D

Not that one needs any other proof that I am not like the other children, I never saw the appeal of a treadmill. My wife has one and so I will do weights or bike or elliptical or stepper when she in one the treadmill. I have used it once or twice but that was a fast walk when watching a movie.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:54 am

Yeah I have no use for it and it would go where my bike on a trainer is (that hasn't seen the most use but will "one day") but I thought it was time to make my wife happy with this - she still uses the TM but for walking right now. To her credit she's used one at the gym fairly regularly so its not an impulse buy. But considering its only her I don't know if I want to fork over $2,500 for a Life Fitness.

Turd thanks for the idea I will check Kijiji.

Return to “Gearing Up”