"form makeover" project (RT)

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

"form makeover" project (RT)

Postby MichaelMc » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:59 am

Here is an interesting article on trying to change the form of a very accomplished runner.

http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.asp ... &PageNum=1

As a quick summary, it is an article by Greg McMillan on trying to alter Paige Higgins' form. Her OLD form got her a 2:36 marathon and 34 minute 10k time, btw.

I curious how it will work out, as "efficiency" is one of those great unknowns where theory and reality don't always match up that well. It would seem there are obvious "flaws" in her running, but how much do you mess with success?

Michael

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Re: "form makeover" project (RT)

Postby Kristen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:27 pm

She's an incredible runner. I think it's pretty brave of her to share this "makeover" with the public.

If a new form can be more efficient for her, just imagine how fast she'll be! :shock:

Corpus Cani
Tom Longboat

Postby Corpus Cani » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:34 pm

"..... a world championship marathoner, wants to run a much faster marathon, but her current running form limits her performance". Greg Mc Millan.

Where would start with improving this athlete Michael, or anyone for that matter?

I'm all for working on strengths but given that her coach is running her at optimum volume, quality etc.etc., surely working on her weaknesses can only improve her.

On a personal coaching point of view, I have found that especially with people coming into running with very little background, most gains are made through technique correction.
Not the quarry but the chase,
not the trophy but the race.

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:50 pm

Corpus Cani wrote:"..... a world championship marathoner, wants to run a much faster marathon, but her current running form limits her performance". Greg Mc Millan.

Where would start with improving this athlete Michael, or anyone for that matter?

I'm all for working on strengths but given that her coach is running her at optimum volume, quality etc.etc., surely working on her weaknesses can only improve her.

On a personal coaching point of view, I have found that especially with people coming into running with very little background, most gains are made through technique correction.

I agree with your last point, but I feel there is a significant differnce between working with a highly accomplished runner who has years of top level competiton behind them. Experiments intended to change the gait of high level athletes have almost universally resulted in reduced efficiency. Now I am sure there are quite a number of good runners with fundamental flaws who've gotten even better when these were corrected: I haven't seen an experiment that selected for runners with poor form.

I think it will be interesting to see: hopefully it really works out for her.

rungeek
Tom Longboat

Postby rungeek » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:52 am

MichaelMc wrote:Here is an interesting article on trying to change the form of a very accomplished runner.

http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.asp ... &PageNum=1

As a quick summary, it is an article by Greg McMillan on trying to alter Paige Higgins' form. Her OLD form got her a 2:36 marathon and 34 minute 10k time, btw.

I curious how it will work out, as "efficiency" is one of those great unknowns where theory and reality don't always match up that well. It would seem there are obvious "flaws" in her running, but how much do you mess with success?

Michael

I can't recall if they mentioned it in the video but I wonder how they are handling her training volume during the re-working of her form? Would they drop her mileage down drastically to allow her body to adjust to the new stress brought on by the change in her form? Is a high level athlete even willing to drop mileage for a month or so to allow for the new form to become comfortable? Future updates should be interesting.
(I'm really just looking for justification for my own pathetic mileage as I try to adjust my own poor form over several months.) :)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:17 am

Corpus Cani wrote:I'm all for working on strengths but given that her coach is running her at optimum volume, quality etc.etc., surely working on her weaknesses can only improve her...

This in particular struck a chord with me.

It seems that lots of athletes, especially amateurs, love to work on their strengths. Probably because its more fun. I see it in lots of golfers, skiiers, squash players.

It seems obvious when you write it down, that there might be more improvements to be had by working on your weaknesses rather than your strengths, but its something that lots of (uncoached) amateur athletes just don't do.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:55 am

Strengths tend to be much more trainable than weaknesses. The general trend for those working on a weakness is to allow their strength to deteriorate and end up in worse overall shape.
Another factor is that what you may perceive as your weakness is something you just don't actually LIKE practicing. It may actually be your strong point that you're just neglecting.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks for sharing the URL. This is very timely for me as I am currently a few runs into correcting the identical crossover arm swing. If anyone is interested in a more local case study with a slower subject, drop me a line and I'll post results here.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:If anyone is interested in a more local case study with a slower subject, drop me a line and I'll post results here.

This is well worth the effort if you are an technically inefficient as me. Since I posted June 30 that I was trying this, I have entered three races. A 37 second PB in a July 10K, a 1:35 PB in a Half Marathon in September and a 10:07 PB (vs. a dated 2008 prior PB) in the 15K last weekend. And this was during Marathon training where I do not do a ton of speedwork.

Well worth the effort to get unproductive effort out of your form.

DB
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Return to “The Speed Zone”