As if I didn't have enough key workouts...

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

As if I didn't have enough key workouts...

Postby Ironboy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 am

... Speed Development from Running Times Magazine

Interesting. Sounds a lot like Strides or pickups or similar workouts, but not quite.

But get this, before starting this they suggest "Hill Strides" for 3 to six weeks, two to three times a week. But before that you should do the "general strength" routine which an 8 week program.

I mean, really? 3 months to prepare for a set of workouts that I can't guarantee will really help me?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: As if I didn't have enough key workouts...

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:21 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same idea as when Michael talks about power/form/efficiency speed workouts? He's explained the benefits of that in other threads.

As for the lengthy lead-up... wouldn't those lead-up workouts themselves have benefit? It's not as though those 3 months would be wasted... I guess it's a more long-term approach than what most of us do, which is throw a few speed workouts into our 12-week marathon/halfM training programs. ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:56 am

It's just one other interpretation of the same idea. We've already covered the true speed concept many times but the threads always get bogged down with people diverging into short reps with short rests or confusing standard shorter repeat track workouts as true speed work, as the article mentions.
It very difficult, if not impossible to have distance runners get that walking and sprinting can help in any way.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Pat Menzies wrote: It very difficult, if not impossible to have distance runners get that walking and sprinting can help in any way.

What do you mean about "walking"...?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote: It very difficult, if not impossible to have distance runners get that walking and sprinting can help in any way.

What do you mean about "walking"...?

The walk recovery between the sprints. If a workout consists of walking and sprinting, people will wonder how there can be any specificity toward paces they hope to run in races or other workouts.
Even if walking is part of other workouts, the rep portion is almost always at a pace that makes sense.
I tend to see a trend towards walking the recovery of reps that would be better off jogged and jogging between reps that would be better with a long walk recovery.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Pat Menzies wrote: I tend to see a trend towards walking the recovery of reps that would be better off jogged and jogging between reps that would be better with a long walk recovery.

And which is which? :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote: I tend to see a trend towards walking the recovery of reps that would be better off jogged and jogging between reps that would be better with a long walk recovery.

And which is which? :)

Jogging between longer reps, mainly walking between all out efforts.
Actually standing in place between long reps is what I see more often. I'd rather see shuffling around at least.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm

But is this really the same?

I have no issue walking to recover (I always do during hill repeats), but this guys is talking about long intense warm ups.

It's not done as part of an easy run like strides/accelerations we've talked about in the past.

Here is the accompanying video (http://www.youtube.com/user/RunningTime ... QWDVRbz8b8)

So I guess the question is, are they equivalent? Strides/accelerations during an easy run and this apparently focused track workout?

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Ironboy wrote:But is this really the same?

I have no issue walking to recover (I always do during hill repeats), but this guys is talking about long intense warm ups.

It's not done as part of an easy run like strides/accelerations we've talked about in the past.

Here is the accompanying video (http://www.youtube.com/user/RunningTime ... QWDVRbz8b8)

So I guess the question is, are they equivalent? Strides/accelerations during an easy run and this apparently focused track workout?

It's still the same idea, just taken to another level. The concept of putting strides and accelerations into the middle of a run is a way of sneaking in real speed work when it is unlikely to be done any other way.
If you haven't managed to work in the lower end of this type of workout then it's not very likely you're going to devote a huge amount of time to the extreme end of things.
The long intense warm-up is just the sensible thing to do if you are going to be repetitively working at maximum speed.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:07 pm

Pat Menzies wrote: It's still the same idea, just taken to another level. The concept of putting strides and accelerations into the middle of a run is a way of sneaking in real speed work when it is unlikely to be done any other way.
If you haven't managed to work in the lower end of this type of workout then it's not very likely you're going to devote a huge amount of time to the extreme end of things.
The long intense warm-up is just the sensible thing to do if you are going to be repetitively working at maximum speed.

That's what I was hoping you'd say. Thanks!

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:13 pm

I find the part about muscle co-ordination interesting. I seem to max out sometimes on downhills, when getting below 3:00/km , where I feel like I can go faster but just can't get my feet turning over fast enough without fear of face planting or having my feet slap the ground too much. I wonder if these maximum speed workouts would help with that?

Steve

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:40 pm

SteveF wrote:I find the part about muscle co-ordination interesting. I seem to max out sometimes on downhills, when getting below 3:00/km , where I feel like I can go faster but just can't get my feet turning over fast enough without fear of face planting or having my feet slap the ground too much. I wonder if these maximum speed workouts would help with that?

Steve

YES!!.... I was/am having problems with downhills when nearing the middle/end of a long run. Derrick has me add 5 sets of strides after my tempo runs to get use to the quicker turnover on tired legs. The result I noticed for the first time when we were descending to the visitor centre on Sunday. I thought to myself, think strides for a couple of those last descents and it really helped me fly those hills. Of course I was likely keeping you back on the last one but I felt like I was tearing down the hill.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:20 am

Good to know. I'll have to start working some in to my tempos. Thanks

Steve

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:22 am

This looks really interesting. I can see why you would want to strengthen up before beginning this- even after 500m repeats last week my back really tightened up. I would like to try some of these workouts as my top speed needs some work for sure! The 150 in and out looks similar to a stride, but much more intense. I don't think it's something you would replicate in a longer run.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “The Speed Zone”