Running form analysis

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Running form analysis

Postby MichaelMc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:08 pm

I think this Running Times article "an analysis of running form" by Michael Yessis is pretty good: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?Ar ... &PageNum=1

The accompanying fast frame photographic sequence is quite helpful. While I have a couple of niggles with his commentary, I credit him with recognizing there is room for individual variation that may have little or no cost over his "prescribed" perfect form. I like the acknowledgement that good medium distance and track form is RELATED to good distance form, but has differences.

One point I will make based on the photos is that the "midfoot" landing could actually be heel first or forefoot first with no effect on the stride by merely angling the foot: it is irrelevant when everything else is proper.

Have a look

Michael

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Running form analysis

Postby QuickChick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks for this Michael. I like her analogy to the coiled snake when "reloading" her foot at the end when she breaks down each stage of her form. For me visualization techniques really help, and that is one that I can see working.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “The Speed Zone”