Mid Schedule Race week......

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Mid Schedule Race week......

Postby fe.RMT » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:46 am

Decided semi-last minute to do the 15K Midsummer Nights race.

The week of the race (next week) has the following on my schedule:
4 run of 5K easy
A race pace run of 11K with 8K at race pace
a long run of 16km

what to ditch? Obviously the race fits the bill for both the long run and the race pace run (the 15K race will be run pretty much at the pace I run the race pace workouts). So use the race to count as both workouts? Keep something 'long' midweek? The week after the race is recovery week...
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Mid Schedule Race week......

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:21 am

The race is on a Saturday night, right?

I would suggest a last pre-race workout on Tuesday: a small amount of race pace running (warmup, then 3-4K at race pace within a run of about 10K, with a maybe few strides at the end). Then very short/easy (about 5K) on Thursday and nothing or even shorter on Friday. Have you been running 6 days/week now? I would take an extra rest day this week, Take a an extra rest day on Wednesday and maybe Friday (although I always like to do some running to keep it loose-- just make sure it's really easy).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:35 am

Jwolf wrote:The race is on a Saturday night, right?

I would suggest a last pre-race workout on Tuesday: a small amount of race pace running (warmup, then 3-4K at race pace within a run of about 10K, with a maybe few strides at the end). Then very short/easy (about 5K) on Thursday and nothing or even shorter on Friday. Have you been running 6 days/week now? I would take an extra rest day this week, Take a an extra rest day on Wednesday and maybe Friday (although I always like to do some running to keep it loose-- just make sure it's really easy).

I always like something (short and easy...... like 20 minutes with pickups in the middle) the day before a race...... a rest day the day before leaves me stale. Yes, I'm at 6 days per week now. The above suggestion sounds good!

2013:

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:39 am

fe.sweetpea wrote:

I always like something (short and easy...... like 20 minutes with pickups in the middle) the day before a race...... a rest day the day before leaves me stale. Yes, I'm at 6 days per week now. The above suggestion sounds good!

That sounds good for Friday.

So overall this IS more race pace/fast running than you would normally do in a week, but that's ok. :) (The Tuesday pre-race tempo is what I normally do before a race-- usually Wednesday before a Sunday race.) Just give yourself plenty of recovery and perhaps make your tempo run shorter next week.

What is the "A-race" goal in this plan? I'm guessing a half-marathon next month? Congratulations on getting up to 6 days/week running. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:43 am

Jwolf wrote:
fe.sweetpea wrote:

That sounds good for Friday.

So overall this IS more race pace/fast running than you would normally do in a week, but that's ok. :) (The Tuesday pre-race tempo is what I normally do before a race-- usually Wednesday before a Sunday race.) Just give yourself plenty of recovery and perhaps make your tempo run shorter next week.

What is the "A-race" goal in this plan? I'm guessing a half-marathon next month? Congratulations on getting up to 6 days/week running. :)

That was the other thing actually... i'm not married to the plan that I am following. I was planning to run the Scotia Bank Half. Still might, but don't think I want to make it an A race because I would prefer more mileage under me first. Next closest possible races for me would be Niagra in October or Hamilton in November.

2013:

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:42 am

Your idea sounds good. Definitely put in some strides on Friday, and maybe 3K or so at race pace on Thursday. I plan to do some sort of fast workout Tuesday, something easy Wed like an easy 8K, and something race pace (but short, like 5-7K) on Thursday. I'll probably either take Friday off or do an easy 5K or so with pickups.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:00 am

My own opinion....just train through. Its just a blip in the grand scheme, given you are looking into Oct for your A race.
Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who tried to stick to a plan once....and failed on day 1 of the program.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Return to “The Speed Zone”