So hypothetically speaking...

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

So hypothetically speaking...

Postby Ironboy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:43 pm

... if someone had a 15km race coming up in two weeks and wanted to give a well trained, rather quick chick a run for her money and had a stellar first half of the year but the last month and a half were plagued by illness and travel, what kind of training would you do to maximize your performance?

Hypothetically speaking.

;)

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Re: So hypothetically speaking...

Postby jgore » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:10 pm

If you can somehow arrange a cold front, perhaps with a freakish mid-summer snow storm, the race is yours.

Have a friend set up a display of hot shoes at the side of the road somewhere along the course.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:18 pm

it's been nice knowing you, IB.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:20 pm

jgore wrote:If you can somehow arrange a cold front, perhaps with a freakish mid-summer snow storm, the race is yours.

Have a friend set up a display of hot shoes at the side of the road somewhere along the course.

CinC mentioned something about "...a baseball bat behind the knee..: a few months ago, if I recall :think: :think: :eh:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Not a baseball bat, a tire iron. :twisted:
James, just run! And run and run and run! And maybe don't taper at all. LOL.
Seriously though I will be in Ottawa Sun-Wed if you wanted to do a track workout Tuesday night... see I'm the worst at trash talking, eh??! I wouldn't even trip you. Dave's family's place is really close to a high school with a track- Immaculata I think it's called. I'm not sure it's bang-on 400m, but if you know of a better one that's cool too.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Well, Pat gave digirat some great "crash-training" advice that worked well for him before Vancouver half and the 10K the next month. Not sure if he's going to give advice to Lisa's competition, though. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Jwolf wrote:Well, Pat gave digirat some great "crash-training" advice that worked well for him before Vancouver half and the 10K the next month. Not sure if he's going to give advice to Lisa's competition, though. :)

Pat really likes my chocolate chip cookies, and I'm sure he still wants to be allowed to eat them, so I think James is SOL. :lol:
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:34 pm

QuickChick wrote:Not a baseball bat, a tire iron. :twisted:
Seriously though I will be in Ottawa Sun-Wed if you wanted to do a track workout Tuesday night... see I'm the worst at trash talking, eh??! I wouldn't even trip you. Dave's family's place is really close to a high school with a track- Immaculata I think it's called. I'm not sure it's bang-on 400m, but if you know of a better one that's cool too.

Hey, if you are downtown on Monday/Tuesday morning ... how about a morning run along the Canal ... think Marg should be back in town this weekend :think: :think: ... I am usually, up by 4:30-5:00am ... and, can make it downtown early for run :shock: :shifty: :wink:

eta: Probably, the Terry Fox Track and Field location is a better place for your workout, as the track at the HS is pretty choppy, imo ..

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:39 pm

QuickChick wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Well, Pat gave digirat some great "crash-training" advice that worked well for him before Vancouver half and the 10K the next month. Not sure if he's going to give advice to Lisa's competition, though. :)

Pat really likes my chocolate chip cookies, and I'm sure he still wants to be allowed to eat them, so I think James is SOL. :lol:

:P
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:55 pm

HCmD wrote:

Hey, if you are downtown on Monday/Tuesday morning ... how about a morning run along the Canal ... think Marg should be back in town this weekend :think: :think: ... I am usually, up by 4:30-5:00am ... and, can make it downtown early for run :shock: :shifty: :wink:

eta: Probably, the Terry Fox Track and Field location is a better place for your workout, as the track at the HS is pretty choppy, imo ..

Hehehehe... you want to see sloooooow Lisa- let's run in the morning. Ugh.
Yeah I'm way better in the evening, which is why I'm so stoked about this race!
I'm sure Dave knows where the Terry Fox track is- that would be cool too.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:01 pm

QuickChick wrote:
HCmD wrote:

Hehehehe... you want to see sloooooow Lisa- let's run in the morning. Ugh.
Yeah I'm way better in the evening, which is why I'm so stoked about this race!
I'm sure Dave knows where the Terry Fox track is- that would be cool too.

Well, there happens to be the Xerox 3K / 10K on Tuesday evening at 6:30pm, at the Experimental Farm if you are interested ..... :shifty: http://www.ottawakiosk.com/events/xerox_10k.html

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Yeah James! You should do the 10K for sure! :twisted:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:55 pm

QuickChick wrote:Yeah James! You should do the 10K for sure! :twisted:

he was considering it. ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:02 am

QuickChick wrote:Yeah James! You should do the 10K for sure! :twisted:

If only I did not have a scheduled 90 minute session with the MoP at 4:15pm on Tuesday ... :shock: :?

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:17 am

Actually I will do the Xerox 10km. A bit long, but a good TT 4 days out from the race.

Now I'm glad we had that "Shock" training discussion a while back. Hold on to your socks QuickChick, I may be buying you a beer yet!

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:18 am

Hey! That track by Immaculata is not far from my house! Too bad I'm working into the evening :( .
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:32 am

Ironboy wrote:Actually I will do the Xerox 10km. A bit long, but a good TT 4 days out from the race.

Now I'm glad we had that "Shock" training discussion a while back. Hold on to your socks QuickChick, I may be buying you a beer yet!

Um seriously though James, that's probably not the best way to have your best race on the weekend.
The 5K might be OK, but I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 pm

QuickChick wrote:
Ironboy wrote:Actually I will do the Xerox 10km. A bit long, but a good TT 4 days out from the race.

Um seriously though James, that's probably not the best way to have your best race on the weekend.
The 5K might be OK, but I wouldn't do that if I were you.

QC is scared that this will put you in tip top shape! ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Now I'm glad we had that "Shock" training discussion a while back.

I don't remember that being one of the suggestions. If you really want to do your best in the 15K race, then a 5K all-our TT would make more sense at Xerox.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Now I'm glad we had that "Shock" training discussion a while back.

I don't remember that being one of the suggestions. If you really want to do your best in the 15K race, then a 5K all-our TT would make more sense at Xerox.

In the -How do I improve my 10k time...in 7days thread, Pat Menzies wrote:I like to think of that last hard run as a harsh reminder to the body of what's in store. I feel that the more similar the last meaningful effort is to what you are aiming for in the upcoming race, the better off you will be.
The fitter you feel you are, the more intense and longer in duration you can make that effort.
I only do a single run(no repeats). A race is a single run after all.
Since most races seem to fall on a Sunday, I will do everything I can to run a borderline TT on the Wednesday before a key race.
For an 800 I would do a 500-600m tt
For a 1500- 1km
For a 5k- 3-4km
For a 10- 5km
For a half -8km

So 15km would be somewhere between 5km and 8km. There is only a 3km and 10km option at Xerox.

I'll have to go easy the first 2 or 3km and then turn up the speed.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Well, yeah-- I remember that part. :) But not a 10K race. Notice that the time trial recommendation length percentage decreases as the race distance increases. So I still say 5K would be ideal. If you can discipline yourself to only TT the second half of the Xerox course, then that would work.

That recommendation list was also a bit out of context of the rest of the "shock training" discussion. It was in answer to a specific question about pre-race workouts, and did assume more regular training. If you haven't been used to doing hard efforts lately, even 7-8K might be too long to make sure you're fully recovered by Saturday (although with your experience and the full four days between, you'll probably be ok).

Pat Menzies wrote:The fitter you feel you are, the more intense and longer in duration you can make that effort.

It's a recommendation for "one last hard run" before a key race. If it's your first hard run in a while (or if you haven't done much), the recommendation will be different.

I usually do a pre-race 5K race pace tempo before a half-marathon, too. That's even what coach Pat recommended to me for my last half.

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:36 am

Want to win

Ask Tonya and Jeff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonya_Harding

Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

Return to “The Speed Zone”