Strategy for sub-2hr HM

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Re: Strategy for sub-2hr HM

Postby Lightning » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Jwolf wrote:If you're still progressing, you might not have to change much from what you did before to break 2:00 if you continue to run consistently. The jump down to 1:50 might take more work though.

I ran a 2:09 half my first time (in 2004) and a year later I was able to do 1:56. That was just from more consistent running, but I was still only running about 45k/week then on 4 days/week with a longest run of 21k. It took a lot more running (but still very little speed work) to get down to 1:51 two years later

This pretty much sums up my advice and experience. I didn't have to do a whole heck of a lot to get under two. My first half time was 2:28 (or something like that) and then, one year later, was 1:59. It was simply from running consistently. I didn't do anything fancy at all. Just keep on doing what you're doing if you are progressing, as JWolf says.

Also, regarding walk breaks, I do take them but not as often as every ten minutes. Perhaps every 30 or so, and just for a few seconds. La, when I ran my first marathon the people I ran with were scheduled to take a break 1k from the finish line. They INSISTED on taking it, while I wanted to keep going. It seemed odd to me to walk at that point, but they were VERY regimented and tied to that break...
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:36 pm

oh yeah, I meant to weigh in on the walk break question.

When I started running I didn't take walk breaks (didn't know that it was even an option). Then one day I started running with a local run club, and started doing 10:1s with them, and what I found was that I became dependent on them... psychologically more than physically. Over the years I've worked on breaking that, because I really find that I run better when I can carry a steady pace instead of constantly slowing down and speeding up. Now I only walk if I feel like I *need* to (for long trail runs, that's mainly on the big climbs!). For my last marathon, I just walked through the aid stations (also an option for your Half if you're looking for a middle ground!) but I have also recently started learning how to take a gel without taking a walk break... and I am loving that.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks all! Looks like I just need to keep plugging away at it....

Kiza - sorry, I didn't mean to sound accusatory! :oops: I kind of figured that the RR plan was what it was, and that you're catering to a big group and not just me. I'm sure plenty of people like the challenge of trackwork. I really did enjoy the clinic, even if it was really tough and exhausting by the end. You know I greatly value your expertise and experience!

Btw, isn't that the same trail where Ardeth Woods was killed? And the detective that talked to us about safety last week mentioned there was another attack on that waterfront section in the past year......you're braver than I am, I don't feel safe there at all. Heck, I don't even like the quieter residential areas around the RR after dark.

I'm going to start looking for 5K's around Feb I think. For now I seem to get in a few sprints here and there (heheh, like when I got caught up in the sprint to the end last night running with the 5K Clinic's speedsters).

I really like the idea of a longer run midweek too. I'm already doing about 9km twice a week midweek, so adding a bit more to that would be pretty easy.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:57 pm

One tip I hadn't though of until now, is that if you are going to run continuous, then make sure and use your training to practice drinking and taking gels on the run without too much of a slowdown.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:02 pm

mas_runner wrote:One tip I hadn't though of until now, is that if you are going to run continuous, then make sure and use your training to practice drinking and taking gels on the run without too much of a slowdown.

Ha! More like drinking/eating without choking! I wish I could 'only' slowdown when trying to drink/eat....on one embarrassing group run, I managed to choke while drinking from the bite valve on my hydration pack.....while WALKING. :oops: There's no hope for me. :? :roll: :lol:
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D

PB's:

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:03 pm

mas_runner wrote:One tip I hadn't though of until now, is that if you are going to run continuous, then make sure and use your training to practice drinking and taking gels on the run without too much of a slowdown.
If you're going to do that, practice drinking the way you'll do it on raceday - I found out the hard way that drinking out of the cups at race pace is way different from a bottle. I don't think it's such a bad deal to walk for a couple of seconds to get some water in you.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:04 pm

PinkLady wrote:

Ha! More like drinking/eating without choking! I wish I could 'only' slowdown when trying to drink/eat....on one embarrassing group run, I managed to choke while drinking from the bite valve on my hydration pack.....while WALKING. :oops: There's no hope for me. :? :roll: :lol:

it takes practice. :)

drinking from a cup is something I can't do without walking. But I can drink from my hydration pack while running and I've just learned to take gels. I still have to walk to take anything solid.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:If you're going to do that, practice drinking the way you'll do it on raceday - I found out the hard way that drinking out of the cups at race pace is way different from a bottle. I don't think it's such a bad deal to walk for a couple of seconds to get some water in you.

I once read on here that someone here puts a straw in their belt/pocket and drinks with it from a race cup...pretty ingenious...
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 pm

mas_runner wrote:I once read on here that someone here puts a straw in their belt/pocket and drinks with it from a race cup...pretty ingenious...
People told me I had to learn the trick of folding the cup and sucking it out. Then the next race I entered, plastic cups! I gave up after one try and just walked the aid stations after that, better than choking and coughing.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:16 pm

PinkLady wrote:Thanks all! Looks like I just need to keep plugging away at it....

Kiza - sorry, I didn't mean to sound accusatory! :oops: I kind of figured that the RR plan was what it was, and that you're catering to a big group and not just me. I'm sure plenty of people like the challenge of trackwork. I really did enjoy the clinic, even if it was really tough and exhausting by the end. You know I greatly value your expertise and experience!

Btw, isn't that the same trail where Ardeth Woods was killed? And the detective that talked to us about safety last week mentioned there was another attack on that waterfront section in the past year......you're braver than I am, I don't feel safe there at all. Heck, I don't even like the quieter residential areas around the RR after dark.

I'm going to start looking for 5K's around Feb I think. For now I seem to get in a few sprints here and there (heheh, like when I got caught up in the sprint to the end last night running with the 5K Clinic's speedsters).

I really like the idea of a longer run midweek too. I'm already doing about 9km twice a week midweek, so adding a bit more to that would be pretty easy.

Ardeth Woods - was in the "woodsy area" right before Rockliffe Parkway. She was also on a bike - and, if you aren't safe while cycling on a busy-ish path, then, I'm doomed. I consider her a "one-off" and I refuse to limit myself due to one incident. I usually run down there on Saturday or Sunday mornings when there are a gazillion dog walkers.....and, I always carry ID and/or a cell phone. There are tons of "ways out" so if I ever felt unsafe, I would get off the path.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:20 pm

I think partially it's comfort zone... when I run in a new area for the first time I might be more cautious/nervous than if I know it well and am used to it.

It helps to run with a dog! My dog would smother an assailant with kisses, but the would-be assailants don't know that! :lol:

FWIW, I run alone pretty much everywhere, and there are very few places where I've felt potentially unsafe. As Kiza said, isolated incidents don't reflect on the general safety of an area. :)

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:33 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I think partially it's comfort zone... when I run in a new area for the first time I might be more cautious/nervous than if I know it well and am used to it.

It helps to run with a dog! My dog would smother an assailant with kisses, but the would-be assailants don't know that! :lol:

FWIW, I run alone pretty much everywhere, and there are very few places where I've felt potentially unsafe. As Kiza said, isolated incidents don't reflect on the general safety of an area. :)

good point! When I first started running down there, it was with Sheamus!

It's also less than a km from my house, so, it would feel weird/silly not to use it!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:19 pm

what a wonderful thread - lots of advice backed up by personal examples.

truly RM at its best. sure wish i could run right now.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:40 pm

I don't have a whole lot more to add to the good advice that the others have posted but I wanted to wish you good luck with your training. Sounds like you are very determined and are going about it the proper way. Based on your time for your first half, it is definitely within your reach to run under 2:00 the next time especially if you work as hard as it seems you are going to!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:42 pm

AndyM wrote:I don't have a whole lot more to add to the good advice that the others have posted but I wanted to wish you good luck with your training. Sounds like you are very determined and are going about it the proper way. Based on your time for your first half, it is definitely within your reach to run under 2:00 the next time especially if you work as hard as it seems you are going to!

Thanks, Andy! I sure hope so. :D Working my butt off is never the problem....it's knowing when it's wiser to rest and backoff for bigger dividends than stubbornly keeping my nose on the grindstone that's the issue..... :lol: :oops:

PB's:

Return to “The Speed Zone”