4 min mile (treadmill, decline)!

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Re: 4 min mile (treadmill, decline)!

Postby दिवंगत » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 am

Ironboy wrote:I've been toying with the idea of putting my bike on my treadmill to see if the speedometer on the bike matches what the treadmill says.

Make sure you video that experiment and post the results! I'm sure you'd have a candidate for the grand prize on AFV ;) :lol:

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:07 am

140.6 wrote:
Ironboy wrote:I've been toying with the idea of putting my bike on my treadmill to see if the speedometer on the bike matches what the treadmill says.

Make sure you video that experiment and post the results! I'm sure you'd have a candidate for the grand prize on AFV ;) :lol:
He wouldn't have to be actually on it, just hold it manually with the front wheel on the belt and see what the speedo says. Assuming the front wheel is where he's got his counter rigged up in the normal fashion.

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:
140.6 wrote:

He wouldn't have to be actually on it, just hold it manually with the front wheel on the belt and see what the speedo says. Assuming the front wheel is where he's got his counter rigged up in the normal fashion.

That would be boring, though...

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 am

140.6 wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
140.6 wrote:Make sure you video that experiment and post the results! I'm sure you'd have a candidate for the grand prize on AFV ;) :lol:

That would be boring, though...

I had no plans to be on the bike. But now that you mention it .... :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:22 am

Now it has to be a shallonge. Bunny-hop onto that sucker with a fixie while it's going mach schnell. Success with that would be at least as believable as the OP's original claim.

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:28 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:Now it has to be a shallonge. Bunny-hop onto that sucker with a fixie while it's going mach schnell. Success with that would be at least as believable as the OP's original claim.

:lol: :lol: It's not often I'll laugh out loud on here but that post did it for me :D

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:38 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:Now it has to be a shallonge. Bunny-hop onto that sucker with a fixie while it's going mach schnell. Success with that would be at least as believable as the OP's original claim.

haha!! please video tape
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:03 am

Now you're talking. That's much better than your previous post where you tried to take a sensible approach by suggesting that IB doesn't have to be on his bike.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

spiridon
Johnny Miles

Postby spiridon » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:43 am

I haven't posted here in like forever but I just have to share this with everybody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN_PoG2GVcY
The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat.
-Bill Squires

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:43 am

erinmcd wrote:

Now you're talking. That's much better than your previous post where you tried to take a sensible approach by suggesting that IB doesn't have to be on his bike.

I just want to test accuracy, not be the star of the next Jacka$$ movie!

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:53 am

Ironboy wrote:
erinmcd wrote:

2 birds with 1 stone, man.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:29 pm

FWIW, I like doing intervals on the TM because it forces me to keep the same pace for the entire time. Otherwise I agree that TM running is boring, but it beats falling on the ice outside at 6:30 a.m. in the dark in January.

Last Sunday I was running on the TM and the guy on the TM next to me was doing 5:30 miles for at least a half hour. And making it look easy. Must be nice to be that fast...!
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Ironboy wrote:
erinmcd wrote:

i think there are safer ways! :lol: i tested mine using some string, a piece of masking tape and a stopwatch. easy peasy. but it wasn't film worthy. :wink: unfortunately, it WAS remarkably accurate. i had been hoping to show that the treadmill was going faster than it said it was... :oops:

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

By necessity I've become primarily a TM runner. My only saving grace is being able to hook up my iPod to the TM and use its TV screen to watch movies and TV shows I've converted from DVD to store on my iPod (I love this feature at my gym). Quality ain't great, but I'm getting a lot of TV watched that I've missed over the past few years of parenthood. :lol:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:20 pm

I think one should be on the bike for their attempt. If your doing it because you believe the treadmill to be inaccurate at the higher speeds, then you should add some weight to the conveyor belt (such as your own weight).

I don't think most treadmills are inaccurate. Their is just no wind resistance on the treadmill.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:37 am

Not sure what to think about this... even on a wicked incline, 4 minutes is a long time to run at that speed. I've bombed hills in Gatineau park and I'm not sure I've even hit that kind of foot turnover.

Correction: looking at a flat 5k , all out sprint to the finish, nearing max heart rate , I've hit 2:34/km. So yeah, downhill I could hit it. But not for four minutes.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:26 am

Yeah, all this talk about the accuracy of the treadmills-- I'm sure people measure their own with no weight on them and lower speeds?

I have a feeling that the error is just magnified at the higher speeds. Wind resistance can't account for all of that difference, either.

Of course it's just a guess.

It makes no difference to me at all in how I use the treadmill for training-- I know it's not a perfect replica of outdoor running but it's close enough. My goal isn't to try to replicate my race speeds on the treadmill-- just to use it for training runs.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:00 am

Jwolf wrote:Yeah, all this talk about the accuracy of the treadmills-- I'm sure people measure their own with no weight on them and lower speeds?

nope - i think you're supposed to be on it and test it at a speed that you would actually run (at least, that's what the online instructions i found recommended). luckily, for me, that's at a slow enough speed that it's still fairly easy to measure. :lol:

Return to “The Speed Zone”