Injured List

The grisly details and tales of the road back

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Injured List

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:47 pm

ChrisL wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:I would have thought it'd be stronger the second time too, but who knows... it's just as sore today as it was Wednesday, so that's not a good sign. I'll go see a doctor on Tuesday but I'm 99% certain.

Are all the fractures in the same place, or in different areas?

1 and 3 are the same spot, 2 was on the opposite ankle (1 and 3 are both tibial).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue May 03, 2011 1:24 pm

Well I may have been wrong... The spot I thought was fractured hasn't been bothering me at all so I was having second thoughts. It has been two weeks so I asked for a xray (a fresh fracture won't show on an xray so you have to wait a couple of weeks). Neither I nor the xray tech could see anything on the xray. It will have to be confirmed by the doctor, but it looks to me like it isn't a fracture! And if that is the case, I am going back to my theory that my current road shoes are giving me lower leg issues. The shoes aren't old, but there might be something off in them. In any case, maybe I should test things out with a short, soft trail run...?

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re:

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue May 03, 2011 1:32 pm

ultraslacker wrote:Well I may have been wrong... The spot I thought was fractured hasn't been bothering me at all so I was having second thoughts. It has been two weeks so I asked for a xray (a fresh fracture won't show on an xray so you have to wait a couple of weeks). Neither I nor the xray tech could see anything on the xray. It will have to be confirmed by the doctor, but it looks to me like it isn't a fracture! And if that is the case, I am going back to my theory that my current road shoes are giving me lower leg issues. The shoes aren't old, but there might be something off in them. In any case, maybe I should test things out with a short, soft trail run...?

so happy to hear this....
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Re:

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue May 03, 2011 7:50 pm

ultraslacker wrote:Well I may have been wrong... The spot I thought was fractured hasn't been bothering me at all so I was having second thoughts. It has been two weeks so I asked for a xray (a fresh fracture won't show on an xray so you have to wait a couple of weeks). Neither I nor the xray tech could see anything on the xray. It will have to be confirmed by the doctor, but it looks to me like it isn't a fracture! And if that is the case, I am going back to my theory that my current road shoes are giving me lower leg issues. The shoes aren't old, but there might be something off in them. In any case, maybe I should test things out with a short, soft trail run...?

Good to hear!
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Wed May 04, 2011 8:33 pm

It's official. I have a stress fracture. I'm out for at least 6 weeks. :(
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Wed May 04, 2011 8:50 pm

daddy_runner wrote:It's official. I have a stress fracture. I'm out for at least 6 weeks. :(

Gah! Sorry to hear this. Rest up and get well soon!
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed May 04, 2011 9:35 pm

daddy_runner wrote:It's official. I have a stress fracture. I'm out for at least 6 weeks. :(

That sucks! Rest up, and keep going to the pool... 6 weeks seems like forever now but will go quickly.

gymnastgirly
Johnny Miles

Postby gymnastgirly » Tue May 10, 2011 11:25 am

Yuck. Hope the 6 weeks (or so) goes fast though!!

Will you be vacationing in Fargo on May long anyways instead of running?

2011 plans
Resolution Run - 48 min (walked...it was COLD!)
WPS Half Marathon - DNF, 1:20ish at 10.75km
Fargo 5K & 10K - 5K walked 48 something. 10K 1:13:55
Try a Trail series
And others TBD...

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Mon May 23, 2011 1:12 pm

gymnastgirly wrote:

Yuck. Hope the 6 weeks (or so) goes fast though!!

Will you be vacationing in Fargo on May long anyways instead of running?

I know it's a bit late to reply now, but yes. Christine, Bean, and I drove down to Fargo. Cheered the full and half marathon runners at the 3 mile mark.
Plan for 2017:
Kettle Moraine 100
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm healed. The doc gave me an X-ray, and there's a big bump of new bone tissue where my stress fracture was. This is good news. That means it's healed/healing. He cleared me to run again, within reason. If it hurts at all, I need to stop immediately, as then it's not healed up.

I took my new pelvis out for a 2 mile run, and there wasn't even the slightest bit of pain. No pain in my pelvis, that is. In my lungs is a different story. ;)

Now it's time for me to take the long slow road to training up again. I figure no races longer than a 10k until after Christmas, and slowly build my LSD runs back up. I'm going to take this opportunity to stop doing ultras for a year or two, and concentrate on getting my speed up (5k & 10k).
Plan for 2017:
Kettle Moraine 100
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:29 pm

yeah that'll last like... a month. and then you'll be setting your sights on a new ultra. ;)

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Great news Dale!!!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:32 pm

ultraslacker wrote:yeah that'll last like... a month. and then you'll be setting your sights on a new ultra. ;)

Probably. But if I'm supposed to be starting again from zero, then should I at least get another year under my belt before doing something crazy again? ;)
Plan for 2017:
Kettle Moraine 100
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Well, I went from an 8-month injury, 0 to 50 miles in 6 months, and it was awesome.

The thing is that your body remembers all those miles you've logged... it doesn't take long to get back up to your previous fitness level.

And for me personally, speedwork is more injurious than long trail runs. But that's just me. :)

(It probably is a great idea to work on speed and shorter distances for a year... I just know that I can never stick to that!)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Injured List

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Everybody is different in their susceptibility to reinjury and how fast the fitness comes back. I went from marathon mileage to zero with my foot injury back in 2009 (10 weeks total off) and then it took another 11 months to get back to half-marathon mileage. I was up to
10k+ within a few months but had a setback around the 3rd month which slowed my progress. It forced me to take it more easily. I still get twinges of the injury that remind me to be careful.

The good thing about stress fractures is that once they heal they are healed and many people do regain fitness more quickly- but often there is accompanying soft-tissue damage that heals itself along the way. So you have to judge as you go. Older bodies don't heal as quickly as younger, either, and take longer to build back.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

candlerun
Bruce Kidd

Postby candlerun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 am

Jwolf wrote:Everybody is different in their susceptibility to reinjury and how fast the fitness comes back. I went from marathon mileage to zero with my foot injury back in 2009 (10 weeks total off) and then it took another 11 months to get back to half-marathon mileage. I was up to
10k+ within a few months but had a setback around the 3rd month which slowed my progress. It forced me to take it more easily. I still get twinges of the injury that remind me to be careful.

The good thing about stress fractures is that once they heal they are healed and many people do regain fitness more quickly- but often there is accompanying soft-tissue damage that heals itself along the way. So you have to judge as you go. Older bodies don't heal as quickly as younger, either, and take longer to build back.

"Gulp" :shock: :? I may just be walking mine then... Me thinks I have too high of hopes for myself. :roll:
I will be careful and be smart about it and won't be going for time just finishing.
Hypohalf - Check
Sask Half Marathon - PB 2:23:09
Bridge City Boogie 5k - 33:19 and a broken leg...
Mogathon 5k (in wheelchair) - Had a Blast!
Queen City Half Marathon
Nike Womens Half Marathon - in memory of my Grandma, MIL Natalie, my cousin Gary, many others, and most recently my Uncle Allan and my Great Uncle Paul.
Wishes
Edmonton Derby Half - not going to happen due to break
To sign up for a few smaller ones along the way - maybe some late fall small ones

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. ~John Bingham

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Injured List

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:59 am

Like I said- everyone is different.
I just realized it was actually only 10 months when I did my half and I was up to 16k+ runs a couple months before that. But I had been doing about 70k/week before the injury and it still took me a while.

And as Holly said she went from a longer injury, then to 50 MILES in much less time. That would have been bad for me, even at low intensity.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

candlerun
Bruce Kidd

Postby candlerun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:20 am

I know everyone recovers differently, but is really is good for me to read this to keep things 'real' for me and keep me in check. I thank you all for this.
Hypohalf - Check
Sask Half Marathon - PB 2:23:09
Bridge City Boogie 5k - 33:19 and a broken leg...
Mogathon 5k (in wheelchair) - Had a Blast!
Queen City Half Marathon
Nike Womens Half Marathon - in memory of my Grandma, MIL Natalie, my cousin Gary, many others, and most recently my Uncle Allan and my Great Uncle Paul.
Wishes
Edmonton Derby Half - not going to happen due to break
To sign up for a few smaller ones along the way - maybe some late fall small ones

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. ~John Bingham

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Flip flopping from on the DL to off ... can't seem to decide which way to flip the coin!
Perhaps going from 50km/month to 100/km the next isn't such a bold idea :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”