Running after ankle sprain

The grisly details and tales of the road back

cwk

Running after ankle sprain

Postby cwk » Sun May 26, 2013 8:33 pm

I sprained my ankle a week ago. I iced it immediately and seen a dr and had an X-ray. Dr said it was a partial torn ligament. I was unable to bear any weight on it for 2 days and had severe bruising. I stayed off the leg and followed RICE. Its now been 7 days and I am walking on the leg comfortably with an ankle brace and am able to go up and down stairs. My question is what are others experiences with ankle sprains and the time until you were back running? Also does anyone have a recommendation for a running ankle brace?

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Re: Running after ankle sprain

Postby grimskot » Sun May 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Several years ago, I twisted my ankle quite badly during a training run. This was ~2 weeks from a planned half marathon. I DNS'd the race: could walk fine but running even a few meters caused sharp pains. Don't remember exactly, but it may have been 3-4 weeks before i resumed running. Even then, it was 0:30R/4:30W for 30 minutes, 3-4 times a week. From there, i gradually added 0:30 more running, until i was able to run for 30 minutes continuously. i also used a Tensor ankle brace that i got from Shoppers. Not a neoprene one, but a more substantial one that looks wee bit like a corset for your foot. :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”