Help please

The grisly details and tales of the road back

crash
Tom Longboat

Help please

Postby crash » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:07 am

G'day all, I'm stuck and need help :x :x :x :x :x :help: :help: :help:

Its been 7 weeks nearly since my operation ( Hernia) and I just cant get back into the grove again. I've been doing slower shorter runs the last 3 weeks but it just aint coming back. Do I start from scratch??? Its frustrating to say the least, mentally and physically. Yes the pounds are slowly coming on, not a whole lot ( maybe 4-5) but, yeah, any thought suggestions??? My gaol race will be the Vancouver Energizer Run Nov 2 , do I just go out and register and commit????
2011 vancouver energizer 10k race 56:45.89
june 9 2012 Abbotsford police run 10k 56:47
Dec 1 2012 Abbotsford Santa Shuffle 5k 25:30
June 8 2013 Abbotsford Police Run 10k 1:05.38 ( injured)

For ever and ever
“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people."
- Bill Bowerman

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Help please

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:13 am

It's only been 3 weeks. :) Your body needs more time to regain the fitness that you've lost. Keep at it, and it will come back!

Also, your body remembers the training you did before, so I find that it's always easier and faster to get my fitness back than it was the very first time I did it.

I like the idea of registering for something to keep you motivated!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:39 pm

I've been through this a few times recovering from injuries, childbirth, and surgery. I recall it being very frustrating but in retrospect I was likely expecting to just be able to pick up and run, and I realize now that my expectations were unrealistic. It just takes a while. Hernia surgery looks like a little thing on the outside but there is a lot of deep healing that needs to take place over weeks and even months. Perhaps your body needs the energy to heal and it trying to tell you to take it easy a bit. The energizer as I understand it is a 5 or 10k. Nov 2 seems like a good goal to aim for.
It might help to try an alternate activity between your runs to keep your activity up and avoid the feeling of weight gain; swimming?, cycling?
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:29 am

So start from scratch! It will give you a better idea of where you are NOW, and you will build it back quickly

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 am

7 weeks is a long time and it will be essentially like starting over. I've read it takes about twice as long to regain fitness as is does to lose it, but for me it always takes much longer.

So cut yourself some slack and just take it easy-- maybe even an accelerated learn-to-run program. It won't take you as long as a new runner because some long-term adaptations will still be there, but aerobic fitness needs to catch up.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:59 am

Recovering from surgery sucks, and one of the biggest reasons it sucks is because most of the recovery is happening where you can't see it. Because of that, things look "okay" from the outside, so you feel it's time to start pushing. You really need to listen to your doctors as far as what they give for recovery prognosis - you don't want to do damage to the inside suturing or healing sites by pushing too fast, too soon.

I've had two abdominal procedures (appendix and c-section) and both times I felt ready to go far sooner than the doctors said - but what held me back was a friend that did tear some op sits open by pushing it. It's just not worth it. So, grit your teeth and binge watch a few seasons on Netflix and give your body plenty of time.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

crash
Tom Longboat

Postby crash » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:31 am

First 5 k non-stop run since surgery. Might seem like a not such a big deal to some, or just a short distance, but to me, its a great mile stone, seeing 7 weeks ago I could barely walk 50 m. Thanks to all for your love and support, you know who you are
2011 vancouver energizer 10k race 56:45.89
june 9 2012 Abbotsford police run 10k 56:47
Dec 1 2012 Abbotsford Santa Shuffle 5k 25:30
June 8 2013 Abbotsford Police Run 10k 1:05.38 ( injured)

For ever and ever
“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people."
- Bill Bowerman

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 am

Awesome. :) It will come back. Patience...
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:13 am

Jwolf wrote:Awesome. :) It will come back. Patience...

it will indeed! even if you are back to square one, it will come back more quickly than when you gained the fitness the first time.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Glad to hear that you are back out there. Recovery sucks, especially when it is summer outside! I hope that your return to running goes well :)

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”