Time or distance based?

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Darth Tater wrote:
abhainn wrote:
Darth Tater wrote:
FishPants wrote:It's way easier to convince yourself to go out the door for x amount of time, as opposed to mystery amount of time but set kms.

And, if you have a SO that wants to know how long you'll be gone for a run, it's easier to tell them that time than to say, "I'm going for a 20 km run." To the SO that means nothing.

As a result, when I go for a specific distance I have to over-estimate my time to run it so that I don't get her in a huff if I'm a few minutes longer than anticipated. :D

Thankfully I only have cats to answer to :D They don't really care too much how long I'm gone, so long as the baby can still sleep on my legs the very second I sit down.

And, I would assume, that they have food and drink available. :lol:

They get more to eat than I do, the little buggers :wink:
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 pm

fe.sweetpea wrote:
La wrote:The other thing I'm a big fan of is what Simon Whitfield calls "ish." If I set out to run for 90 minutes, as long as it's 90-ish minutes, I'm fine with that. Plus/minus a few minutes is no big deal.

I like this about Training Peaks. It colour codes your workouts when you complete them. Green for complete, yellow for partially complete and red for skipped. It will turn green if you were within 10 minutes of the planned time. So, it understands the 'ish' part of the training :)

Active Trainer does that too!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:11 pm

I worry that you're bumping up your running really quickly, and that your body is going to rebel either by you getting injured, or by convincing you that running isn't fun. I've experienced this as well, too many times actually... :roll: :) A 2 hour run is tough on the body. How do you feel after 2 hours of running? Exhausted? Or tired in a good way? If I were you, if you're tired in a good way, I'd increase by 10% a week (1km or 12 minutes) and cut back every four weeks to give yourself a break. If you're exhausted, I'd back off to an hour or so and build up gradually. Do you have a specific half as a goal? Or a half in general? I think the 10% rule is a very good one, and I think it works for time or distance. So if you're comfortable at an hour (or 5km, say), add ten minutes to your long run (or 500m) the following week. Good luck!!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:01 pm

QuickChick wrote:I worry that you're bumping up your running really quickly, and that your body is going to rebel either by you getting injured, or by convincing you that running isn't fun. I've experienced this as well, too many times actually... :roll: :) A 2 hour run is tough on the body. How do you feel after 2 hours of running? Exhausted? Or tired in a good way? If I were you, if you're tired in a good way, I'd increase by 10% a week (1km or 12 minutes) and cut back every four weeks to give yourself a break. If you're exhausted, I'd back off to an hour or so and build up gradually. Do you have a specific half as a goal? Or a half in general? I think the 10% rule is a very good one, and I think it works for time or distance. So if you're comfortable at an hour (or 5km, say), add ten minutes to your long run (or 500m) the following week. Good luck!!

Thanks QC. I'm actually feeling okay right now. Ran 1 & 1/2 hours outside today and I'm not exhausted right now at all. I managed to not collapse when I got home, did my laundry and dishes :D For my long runs, the only time I was ever really exhausted to the point where I was completely useless was after my first 7k on the treadmill. The second time I did it was better and the third time event better. First week of April I was exhausted and decided that sleep was more important. Ran 3 days that week instead of 4. I'm only running 4 days a week - trying to get a bike in one day as well but not married to that idea. If I feel like a bike on the trainer great if not no sweat.

Now that I'm taking my long runs outside, I've re-evaluated what distance I'm doing (see "This Weeks LSD" thread for today's update). I had 14k scheduled but cut it down to 8. More if I felt I could do it. Managed 8.50. I'm very happy with that and don't feel as though I need to do more. Next week I'll shoot for 10k.

My other 3 runs a week are on the TM right now because it's still too dark out at 6am to take even one of them outside so they haven't been a problem at all.

The 1/2 I've been shooting for is the Manitoba on June whatever day. But even if I get through the training without injury or any kind of upsets I still might not run it. I'm not big on crowds, and I think I can either take or leave racing. There isn't a competitive bone in my body, either against other people or even with myself. I also don't like being looked at while I'm running. The training journey is the thing, not the race destination. So there isn't a huge amount of pressure to get to the start line and so won't be pushing myself far beyond my limits. Just far enough (I ain't no hero - I don't care if I send my mom home to get the car to come pick me up :lol:).

And since when has running supposed to be fun? :wink:
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:06 am

abhainn wrote:The training journey is the thing, not the race destination. So there isn't a huge amount of pressure to get to the start line and so won't be pushing myself far beyond my limits. Just far enough (I ain't no hero - I don't care if I send my mom home to get the car to come pick me up :lol:).

I love that ... the training journey IS the thing for me too. Your comment about sending your mom home to get the car cracked me up. (I've had days where I felt like that.)

As John 'the penguin' Bingham says, "I wasn't always a penguin. I wasn't always as slow as I am now. I used to be much slower!" :wink:

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:49 am

abhainn wrote: I'm not big on crowds, and I think I can either take or leave racing. There isn't a competitive bone in my body, either against other people or even with myself. I also don't like being looked at while I'm running.

I used to think that way until I hit a huge race... wow... the energy you get form these large gatherings of runners & supporters along the side really helps & makes for a wonderful experience!

abhainn wrote: And since when has running supposed to be fun? :wink:

Running is really fun... when you get to the fiish line. Everything before the finish line.... needs a bit... lots actually... of work
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Return to “The Scenic Route”