This weeks LSD

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
abhainn
Abby Hoffman

This weeks LSD

Postby abhainn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:34 am

So I'm scheduled for 14k tomorrow. Last week was 12 but I ended up doing 6.91 OUTSIDE! :D but was too exhausted and sore to finish on the TM.

I was thinking that, instead of trying to force the issue and doing the regularly scheduled runs, this week I would do 8 or 9k outside. No extra on the TM as I know I will again be exhausted (this time it's all in one shot, no breaks in between). And keep adding a few k each week until the unofficial race date? Or will I be setting myself back hugely. Should I try to do the full 14k?

btw: I'm following the RR finish 1/2 marathon program. I don't have it in front of me and I can't remember what all the long runs are (I only look at the week I'm not, rarely very far ahead).
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:31 am

Andrea, I may have missed a post somewhere, but could you clarify the "sore and tired". Was it due to illness or the actual run?
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:44 am

Actual run soreness. My knees protested a bit, nothing that super strength motrin couldn't fix, and my shins were very tired and achey (I had surgery to correct exertional compartment syndrome and since then my shins tend to be a bit weaker than the rest of my legs). I was pretty much fine the next day.

It was like the first time I did a 7k "long run". After which I was pretty much useless for anything for the rest of the day. The next day I was good. The second 7k was better and even better the 3rd time. My body just needs to get used to running outside again.
Andrea Michelle

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:39 pm

Andrea, personally I would be inclined to do the run outdoors... probably aiming for 9k, maybe 10k, depending on how you feel. You COULD do the whole 14k on the treadmill but your challenge is to increase the amount that you can run outside. I don't thinking doing 14k on the TM would be as beneficial to you at this point as doing 10k outdoors. Just my opinion. Good luck.

------ LOL! I just re-read your post. Your idea to do 8 or 9k outside is perfect in my book! :D

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 pm

PS: Here's my own HM schedule of long runs (assuming I'm starting at about 10km).

I add 1 km/week (sometimes 2km/week) to my Sunday run, two weeks in a row, then on the 3rd week I shorten it. (I'm old and have lots of aches and pains, so feel I need a 'recovery week' every 3rd week, LOL!)

11 km
12 km
9 km

12 km
13 km
10 km

15 km
17 km
11 km

18 km
20 km
12 km

18 km
20 km (21 km *optional)
14 km

20 km
18 km

14-15 taper
8-10 taper
HM

I need a LOT of weeks to get ready to do 21 km. :D I've only officially done 1 HM Race, but I've started training for them a few times now. If I can stay injury-free hopefully I'll do another this year.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:15 pm

redhead wrote:PS: Here's my own HM schedule of long runs (assuming I'm starting at about 10km).

I add 1 km/week (sometimes 2km/week) to my Sunday run, two weeks in a row, then on the 3rd week I shorten it. (I'm old and have lots of aches and pains, so feel I need a 'recovery week' every 3rd week, LOL!)

11 km
12 km
9 km

12 km
13 km
10 km

15 km
17 km
11 km

18 km
20 km
12 km

18 km
20 km (21 km *optional)
14 km

20 km
18 km

14-15 taper
8-10 taper
HM

I need a LOT of weeks to get ready to do 21 km. :D I've only officially done 1 HM Race, but I've started training for them a few times now. If I can stay injury-free hopefully I'll do another this year.

So if I was following your plan I would be at the highlighted (the target event is June 21st).

The schedule I've been following only has a 14k for this week, 12k last week, 10 the week prior to that. I *think* next week is either 14 or 16k scheduled (again, I don't look too far ahead).

Because I'm taking the long runs outside now I don't think I'll be ready for the event. I would have to add 2k to every weeks long run and would conceivably have only 2 cut back weeks, one of which would be part of the taper. :think: not sure this will work anymore. (oh well, an excuse not to participate in a run I'm not even sure I want to do anyway)

Is it possible to need a recovery week every week? I may be living proof that it is :D
Andrea Michelle

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:20 pm

I didn't know when your race was. Sorry. You had mentioned an "unofficial race date" above, so I thought it was to be determined (based on training). Silly me. :lol:

I don't know what's right for you as far as cut-back weeks. Some people don't take any, some people take them once/a month. Some people just repeat a week (two weeks in a row) without adding distance. I just do what feels right for me.

I think this is the RR schedule...

7 km
7 km
7 km
9 km
9 km
10 km
10 km
12 km
14 km
16 km
16 km
12 km
18 km
18 km
20 km
6 km
21 km RACE DAY!

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:32 pm

redhead wrote:I didn't know when your race was. Sorry. You had mentioned an "unofficial race date" above, so I thought it was to be determined (based on training). Silly me. :lol:

I don't know what's right for you as far as cut-back weeks. Some people don't take any, some people take them once/a month. Some people just repeat a week (two weeks in a row) without adding distance. I just do what feels right for me.

I think this is the RR schedule...

7 km
7 km
7 km
9 km
9 km
10 km
10 km
12 km - 6.91
14 km - 8
16 km - 10
16 km - 12
12 km - 14
18 km - 16
18 km - 18
20 km
6 km
21 km RACE DAY!

Sorry, it's still unofficial since I haven't decided if I'm actually going to run it or not. But I am officially in training for it.

Yup, that's my schedule. I'm on the 14k week. Missed last weeks 12k.

I added in what I would be doing if I go ahead and add 2k per week which would have me caught up (assuming I can actually run - or my version of running - that many km in one outing :? questionable) at the second 18km mark. 3 weeks before the race.

I guess I'll only know if I can do it by trying. So that will be my goal distances, but no pressure if they don't happen.
Andrea Michelle

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:38 pm

That looks really good Andrea. I think it's very do-able too. Just get out there and do what you can ... then you'll know. :D

Or you could try this...
12 km - 6.91
14 km - 8
16 km - 10
16 km - 12
12 km - 14
18 km - 12 (cut-back)
18 km - 16
20 km - 18
6-8 km
21 km RACE DAY!

-------------------------------

Some HM plans are really short.
This is Hal Higdon's Novice plan,
(longest training run is only 16k).

4 mi (6.4 km)
5 mi (8.0 km)
5 mi (8.0 km)
6 mi (9.6 km)
6 mi (9.6 km) or 5k race
7 mi (11.2 km)
8 mi (12.8 km)
8 mi (12.8 km) or 10k race
9 mi (14.4 km)
10 mi (16.0 km)
Half Marathon race

Trailer
Johnny Miles

Postby Trailer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:02 pm

Andrea,

Just wondering - you mentioned (this time it's all in one shot, no breaks in between), does that mean you also gave up the 10:1 walk sections of each session? I think these are very important - especially as you incease the KM.

Listening and acknowledging how your body is reacting to the increased KM is more important than sticking to a schedule - at least it is for me. I don't find my old bones tolerate the increases in training KM like the schedules tend to assume.

Good luck
Lesson one: "Don't fight the trail - take what it gives you. If you have a choice between one step or two between rocks, take three".

Lesson two: "Think Easy, Light, Smooth and Fast." You start with easy, because if that's all you get, that's not so bad.

Born to Run, Christopher McDougall pp. 111

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Andrea, I agree that you shoudn't be increasing the outdoor run by more than a couple of kilometres. Since you've done 7k a few times, going to 9k is probably fine, but not much more than that.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Trailer wrote:Andrea,

Just wondering - you mentioned (this time it's all in one shot, no breaks in between), does that mean you also gave up the 10:1 walk sections of each session? I think these are very important - especially as you incease the KM.

Listening and acknowledging how your body is reacting to the increased KM is more important than sticking to a schedule - at least it is for me. I don't find my old bones tolerate the increases in training KM like the schedules tend to assume.

Good luck

Totally have not given up on the 10:1s. But I have changed it a bit so that on my long runs I'm going my hr rather than timed intervals. When my hr gets into the low to mid-160s walk until it drops down to around the mid-150s and then start running again. I don't know what the intervals end up as but I think for the total run it's about 50/50 run/walk.

No breaks refers to how I ended up doing it last week where I ran the first half of the total amount home from the car shop, then there was a break of about 3 hours before I ran back to pick-up my car. I won't be getting that 3 hours in-between anymore :lol:
Andrea Michelle

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:27 am

8.50k - 1hr 32 (with a 5 min break at the turn around point to change long sleeved shirts and grab some gatorade).

It snowed :evil: (Winnipeg sucks)
The sun came out with 1/2 a block to go :evil:

I survived :D
Andrea Michelle

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:47 am

well done!!

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:11 am

Way to go!
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:11 am

:dance: Awesome! :dance:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:21 am

Excellent job!

I saw the snow and cringed, but at least it didn't stick around.

A little snow won't stop you - remember this from last year? It was taken May 4th 2008 after our ride:

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:26 am

Good job!

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:57 am

eme wrote:Excellent job!

I saw the snow and cringed, but at least it didn't stick around.

A little snow won't stop you - remember this from last year? It was taken May 4th 2008 after our ride:

*shudder* That was just sooo wrong (and I can't believe that was in May :shock: - meaning we're definitely not out of the woods yet this year), but I know it made me stronger. My mom wanted to turn around after 15 minutes, I said she could but I was sticking with it. We both made it to the end. I figure I survived that ride last year I can do a measly little run in something I knew wasn't going to last too long.
Andrea Michelle

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:02 pm

well done - even in the snow - bravo - that takes guts!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Congratulations Andrea! It's so hard to believe you still have snow out there. I know it's true, it just seems so weird.

What weirder is I'm a bit jealous of your cold weather. :shock: I ran today and it was 28°C and super windy (37 km/h with gusts up to 60 km/h). It was actually too warm for me, (and I really dislike wind).

Anyhoo.... great job on getting outdoors for your run today Andrea. A big high-5 to your mom too. :D

Return to “The Scenic Route”