stopped by the trilliums

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Trailer
Johnny Miles

stopped by the trilliums

Postby Trailer » Fri May 15, 2009 10:14 am

Yesterday was one of those rainy overcast days that do not inspire me to get out and run. Later in the afternoon the skies cleared, and the sun finally convinced me to get out (if only for the dog to get some exercise…).

I went out to one of my favourite runs on the BT that I had not been on for a couple of weeks. The run was going well, and I was pleased with my decision to get out and run. Part way through, I came around a corner and was faced with the most gorgeous display of trilliums in full display – it was breathtaking (honestly, the fact that I had just scaled some serious hills had nothing to do with it!). I had to stop and just take it all in – a picture postcard. There were hundreds of trilliums all along this one south facing slope.

Just wondering what has been along the ‘scenic route’ of other maniacs…?
Lesson one: "Don't fight the trail - take what it gives you. If you have a choice between one step or two between rocks, take three".

Lesson two: "Think Easy, Light, Smooth and Fast." You start with easy, because if that's all you get, that's not so bad.

Born to Run, Christopher McDougall pp. 111

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Fri May 15, 2009 10:33 am

Last night it was the boston/orlando, lakers/rockets games :D
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 am

I remember a run in Stanley Park in Vancouver. It was a lovely Spring day and all was good in my world, after a tough winter. :D
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Fri May 15, 2009 1:11 pm

I was out on a section of the BT today between the Tenth Line (Egg Nog Jog Hill, Terra Cotta) and Trafalgar, they were all along the trail, white and purple ones, so pretty.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Fri May 15, 2009 1:40 pm

There is a house down a few streets and around a few bends from me that has trees that smell absolutely wonderful when they are in bloom. I always try to run by to catch a whiff.
Green Smoothies Rock!

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Fri May 15, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks for sharing. Trilliums are beautiful. I see a lot of them along the Bruce Trail and always admire them. This morning I did a 90 minute run along the Welland Canal Parkway trail. The sun was shining, a soft breeze was blowing, the birds were singing, laker ships were slowly cruising down the canal, and there were hundreds of Eastern Redbuds in bloom, sometimes on both sides of the pathway. It was simply a glorious day for a jog!! :D

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri May 15, 2009 6:00 pm

...not a run but a vigorous walk with C-Moss the other day when I goofed off from the office one afternoon.
A bubbling creek that C-Moss jumped into and did her "fishing routine"...wading back and forth looking for who knows what..
...and then a walk through the woods...with trilliums and trilliums and trilliums. For some reason I always feel so very Canadian when I see this flower :D

A recent scenic route on a race course...Vancouver HalfM. I was running this at a slower than my usual race pace so I could really enjoy the beauty of Stanley Park on this course....lovely :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:36 pm

This morning was just perfect for a while, running along the canal tow path in Perth, with warm sun on top and cool wet grass and leaves brushing my legs. I started hearing the birds, and at my turnaround, I stopped for five minutes, just listening to the birds and frogs, and while I stopped the birds started moving in the brush around me. No biting flies; a few sweet moments.

Ron
coyote jogger

kimbyd
Tom Longboat

Postby kimbyd » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:11 am

RonPerth wrote:This morning was just perfect for a while, running along the canal tow path in Perth, with warm sun on top and cool wet grass and leaves brushing my legs. I started hearing the birds, and at my turnaround, I stopped for five minutes, just listening to the birds and frogs, and while I stopped the birds started moving in the brush around me. No biting flies; a few sweet moments.

Ron

Runs like that make me wonder why anyone feels the need to wear an Ipod....
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 am

abhainn wrote:Last night it was the boston/orlando, lakers/rockets games :D

I've really been enjoying the tv show I'm watching. ;) :lol:

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:27 am

kimbyd wrote:
RonPerth wrote:This morning was just perfect for a while, running along the canal tow path in Perth, with warm sun on top and cool wet grass and leaves brushing my legs. I started hearing the birds, and at my turnaround, I stopped for five minutes, just listening to the birds and frogs, and while I stopped the birds started moving in the brush around me. No biting flies; a few sweet moments.

Ron

I defy anyone to run in my neighborhood without music. It really is extremely boring.
Andrea Michelle

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:35 am

abhainn wrote:
kimbyd wrote:

Ron

I defy anyone to run in my neighborhood without music. It really is extremely boring.

Ditto! Ugh - suburbia.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:29 pm

For me, it was a bike ride a few weeks ago up Warden Ave. (north of Aurora Rd.) where both sides of the road were lined with lilac trees in full bloom. The smell was unbelievable!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:09 pm

La wrote:For me, it was a bike ride a few weeks ago up Warden Ave. (north of Aurora Rd.) where both sides of the road were lined with lilac trees in full bloom. The smell was unbelievable!

yum. I love lilacs. I wish I had one in my back yard. :(

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:13 pm

Samantha wrote:
La wrote:For me, it was a bike ride a few weeks ago up Warden Ave. (north of Aurora Rd.) where both sides of the road were lined with lilac trees in full bloom. The smell was unbelievable!

yum. I love lilacs. I wish I had one in my back yard. :(

My neighbor has one that hangs over the fence. It's kind of cool, but after awhile it just stinks and it never gets trimmed so when I leave in the morning I have to duck to avoid getting bugs and stuff in my hair.
Andrea Michelle

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:32 pm

For me, it was this past wknd in Wasa - I was on on my run post bike and I couldn't believe how gorgeous the smell of the trees were.

Huge spruce trees - it was amazing!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:33 pm

I was out running at the end of december last year, running along the river path in the dark. I could hear all the ice in the river cracking (which is loud, but a really nice sound) and heard something splashing. I thought it might be a dog, so I stopped to look out at the river... and saw a massive, fat beaver jumping on and off of ice chunks in the river under the 14th st bridge! He & I were headed in the same direction :) , so I got to watch him for a while. Very few people were out, it was a nice night, lots of stars. That, and seeing deer at 16k (in the middle of Calgary near deerfoot trail, no less) during the last chance half marathon last november are my most memorable moments.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:45 am

This morning as I was running along a country road, about 5:20ish, I saw a pair of deer leaping through a field. They were a long way away so I wasn't sure what they were at first, but after a second glance they were unmistakable. Beautiful :D

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:08 pm

I saw a deer today on my bike. It was about 5 - 10 feet away as I passed her. She just stood and stared at me (like I was nuts for being up that early to ride one lap around the park). I *heart* deer.
Andrea Michelle

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 pm

I often see deer on my runs at the cottage. Sometimes they just stand and stare at me, and sometimes they flee.

I think they are majestic looking creatures, but dang you have to watch out for them driving! I've heard of so many collisions with deer. And the deer population has spiralled out of control, at least up at our cottage.

So long as the bears stay out of my sight, I'm OK.

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Sounds crazy but I would actually like to see a bear in the wild. I would just sit and watch it do it's thang.
Andrea Michelle

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:22 pm

abhainn wrote:Sounds crazy but I would actually like to see a bear in the wild. I would just sit and watch it do it's thang.

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:38 pm

abhainn wrote:Sounds crazy but I would actually like to see a bear in the wild. I would just sit and watch it do it's thang.

I was lucky enough to have that experience last summer. We were in the Yukon, driving along the Alaska Highway, and there was this mama black bear and two cubs at the side of the road. We pulled over and took pictures and watched for a while (didn't get out of course!) Then other vehicles, including a tour bus and a motorcycle, started to notice and pull over so the moment was gone. Sure was neat though!

Would not want that experience while running! :shock:

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:26 pm

For me, running 16 kms on Wolfe Island this past Sunday, along country roads on a quiet morning...with these beautiful white scupltures (wind turbines) slowly and majestically spinning in the breeze...awesome!

Return to “The Scenic Route”