Hello group, my name is Lesley and I am starting aaaaagain

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
braveheart
Lynn Williams

Hello group, my name is Lesley and I am starting aaaaagain

Postby braveheart » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:50 am

:lol: :lol: with so many a's at the beginning of the word you can clearly see I have been starting again for quite awhile. However with me concentrating on my mental health this summer I am going truly back to the beginner stages here. I was wondering if the group could give me some suggestions on programs. I have gained quite a lot of weight in the past year and when I have ran in the past few weeks I def. need to be aware of shin splint issues. I was thinking I would like to run 3-4 times a week would be best with starting back to basics.

Any suggestions?
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:19 am

How back to basics??

How do you feel about essentially following the LTR schedule from the Running Room.

Starting out with this relatively easy conservative approach will ease you back into running...and you won't try and build Rome overnight...which can lead to frustration and losing confidence in yourself.

Have fun..good for to decide to start back...some people would just lie on the couch and eat bons bons for the rest of the summer :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:35 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
How do you feel about essentially following the LTR schedule from the Running Room.

that's what I did. I ran 3-5 times a week doing that up to the 10 mins. Personally I think it's a good learn to run program.

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:How back to basics??

Starting out with this relatively easy conservative approach will ease you back into running...and you won't try and build Rome overnight...which can lead to frustration and losing confidence in yourself.

Have fun..good for to decide to start back...some people would just lie on the couch and eat bons bons for the rest of the summer :wink:

Well bon bons are a good idea but I think I will try this back to basics again.. :wink: but that will be plan B for sure.

Utterly back to basics. If I had the time to take the LTR clinic I would but my schedule this summer is quite unpredictable.

I was looking at the couch to 5K program as I have heard about it.
I am also going to look at finding the LTR program

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:41 pm

If I've learned anything from running it's that it takes A LOT of guts to start again from scratch! Sometimes I too think it would be so much easier to grab the bon-bons and pull up the couch!!!!! May we never have to resort to "Plan B"

Good luck Lesley!
Last edited by a-slow-5 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:50 pm

campbellskid wrote:[
I am also going to look at finding the LTR program

I still have what I used in a PDF (courtesy of eme). If you pm me your email address I'll forward it.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:15 pm

woohooo! as someone who has started over at running so many times i have lost count, i highly recommend it.

either the LTR or Couch program would do nicely. maybe find some kind of reward system that motivates you - sticker chart, earning a portion of a reward, running buddy to be accountable to or something. or not - maybe running doesn't need to be structured right now - you will figure that part out.

from John Bingham's page:

Becoming a Runner

Why It's Worth The Effort

MOST OF THE CHANGES that a more active lifestyle brings are invisible. Sure, in time you may find that your clothes fit a little differently. If you are new to running, you may find that a distance that once seemed impossible now seems easy. If you are more experienced, you may find that your long runs and speed work are yielding tangible results.

But these changes are not the ones that are the most important. The changes that matter most are the ones going on inside, where you can't see them. I'm not talking about the subtle increases in the strength of your heart or lungs or legs. I'm talking about the very real changes in the strength of your resolve and your spirit.

Each day that you invest in yourself, you are becoming more of what you want to be. By giving yourself permission to dream of new PR's or completing a 5K, you are making sure that there is hope in your life. Instead of looking backwards to the good old days, you are assuring yourself that the best is yet to come.

At the heart of the matter, the real changes are in how you think about yourself. By discovering your limitations and then overcoming them, you can learn to be your own hero. And that, for most of us, is the biggest change of all.

i have his book and can send you the LTR sched if you like.

picturing you with your candy-cane stripes in the Santa Speedo run this December...
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:15 pm

Good luck! Try to find something that works for you. If you need a plan, go with a plan. If you don't need a plan, forget about it and run when you want.

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:28 pm

I am going to use the LTR plan and just change it (pen and paper style as I have no clue how to modify a pdf) to the days I want to run.

I do better with a schedule as one of my struggles with depression is I tend to 'lose time' if I am not semi structured.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:24 pm

campbellskid wrote:I am going to use the LTR plan and just change it (pen and paper style as I have no clue how to modify a pdf) to the days I want to run.

I do better with a schedule as one of my struggles with depression is I tend to 'lose time' if I am not semi structured.

I think that's a very good idea.
Let us know how things are going.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:39 pm

I'm going to start LTR over again. Wanna be my virtual buddy?

Good luck Lesley!
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Good for you Lesley. I wish I lived closer to you to help you out by running witrh you. I am good with beginning runners ( first time or more! ) Just ask BumbleG. When we met she was having trouble with 3 and 1's *S* Now she is a dynamite runner!!

Good luck!!! :lol:

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:51 pm

rootin' for you to stay injury free and build at a happy pace. :)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

hoodoo
Tom Longboat

Postby hoodoo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:13 pm

Woo Hoo for you! The nice thing about startin over is that you can do 1 and 1's and FEEL GREAT! The runners high still happens.
Run for my Dad June 2013
Run for your lungs august
Melissa's 10K
Winterstart

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:49 pm

glad to hear you're getting back at it! one thing i might suggest is that if you haven't been active for a while, to start with a couple of weeks of walking 3-4 times per week before starting the LTR. That will get you back into the routine, and ease back into time on your feet.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:19 pm

The LTR is a great starting point and writing it down is an excellent idea. It's easier to plan for it and get your butt out the door when the schedule is staring you in the face.

Good luck, Lesley.

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Well I followed the plan, kinda :roll: , today. It said 21 mins but I found I needed to do 5 and 1's for now as 1 and 1's were frustrating for me.

Day 1 down:)

Thanks for everyone's encouragement. Stayed tuned to this thread for updates.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Lesley, if you can do 5:1s, why would you go back to 1:1s? Just start the schedule from the point where they do 5:1s.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:38 pm

jgore wrote:Lesley, if you can do 5:1s, why would you go back to 1:1s? Just start the schedule from the point where they do 5:1s.

Ditto!

Ken

Trailer
Johnny Miles

Postby Trailer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:29 pm

Lots of great advice - good luck...

and have some fun!!
Lesson one: "Don't fight the trail - take what it gives you. If you have a choice between one step or two between rocks, take three".

Lesson two: "Think Easy, Light, Smooth and Fast." You start with easy, because if that's all you get, that's not so bad.

Born to Run, Christopher McDougall pp. 111

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:24 pm

jgore wrote:Lesley, if you can do 5:1s, why would you go back to 1:1s? Just start the schedule from the point where they do 5:1s.

Lesley, if you can ALREADY do 5:1's you are my hero! Rock on Girl!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott

Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling

Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick

It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

emmacunningham
Johnny Miles

Postby emmacunningham » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:58 pm

If youre starting with 5/1s, you need the RR's "5k" program rather than Learn to Run.
-- http://www.pilatescore.net --

Up Next:
Beaches Jazz Tune-up 5k (Toronto) - July 26, 34 minutes
Oasis Zoo Run 10k (Toronto) - October 17

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:18 pm

emmacunningham wrote:If youre starting with 5/1s, you need the RR's "5k" program rather than Learn to Run.

oh I disagree with that. Starting at the 5/1s with the LTR is fine - she'll just finish faster. ;)

runcoachjohn
Percy Williams

Postby runcoachjohn » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:24 pm

A lot of good advice. it is nice to see runners giving advice to others. Starting at LTR is good and even keeping your run/walk ratio low at 5 and 1's or a maximum of 7 and 1's for a while is a good idea.

All of my runs are now 7 and 1's and I find that to be useful in that it provides extra recovery while running.

I never run back to back days so a recovery built into my days.

I never run long distances back to back weeks so recovery built into my weeks of running.

Follow a training plan and do your goal race and then start back down a less distance and train for a new goal. This builds cycles into your running and hence recovery time after each goal.

Recovery is probably the most important part of running.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:15 pm

So how's it going?

Return to “The Scenic Route”