Hello out there!

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
phatgirlslim
Percy Williams

Hello out there!

Postby phatgirlslim » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:19 pm

I started running about 3 months ago. I was also one of those people. "I wouldn't run if someone was chasing me with an axe!" I'm hooked on it! I've progressed nicely up to this point. I try to pay attention to my body to avoid injury. I've worked my way up to the point where I can go 2.5 to 3K before needing to walk. And that's where I'm stuck. I can't seem to get past this wall. Any suggestions? I try to get out and run every other day if I can or at LEAST 3 times a week. Am I training too hard? Do I need to change things up? Do I need to suck it up and push past the fatigue? Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. I guess I should mention that my goal (for now) is to be able to run a full 5K.

Thanks in advance! I'm really liking this site so far.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:54 pm

It sounds like you're donig ok. To gradually increase your endurance, try slowing down just a bit and adding more time. There's nothing wrong with walking-- many people start by building from running and walking.

Since you can already do 2.5-3K without walking, you might want to try building endurance by intentionally stopping to walk after 10 minutes, walk for one minute, and then start again. Some people call this runing "10-and-1's" and you can really improve your endurance this way. Later you can go back and shorten or eliminate the walk breaks.

Welcome here. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:05 pm

Welcome here!
I like Jwolf's advice... good luck in progressing!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Marg wrote:Welcome here!
I like Jwolf's advice... good luck in progressing!

ditto, and ditto!

Welcome to RM!
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:11 pm

welcome here! I love your username, lol.

Jwolf wrote:It sounds like you're donig ok. To gradually increase your endurance, try slowing down just a bit and adding more time. There's nothing wrong with walking-- many people start by building from running and walking.

Since you can already do 2.5-3K without walking, you might want to try building endurance by intentionally stopping to walk after 10 minutes, walk for one minute, and then start again. Some people call this runing "10-and-1's" and you can really improve your endurance this way. Later you can go back and shorten or eliminate the walk breaks.

I have to disagree with Jen on this... if you don't currently use walk breaks, then you don't need to start. I wish I had never started using walk breaks. It's too easy to become dependent on them.

Usually distance barriers like that are mental--just DO it one day--run an extra few blocks past your regular distance, and you'll get over the barrier. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:11 am

ultraslacker wrote:welcome here! I love your username, lol.

Jwolf wrote:It sounds like you're donig ok. To gradually increase your endurance, try slowing down just a bit and adding more time. There's nothing wrong with walking-- many people start by building from running and walking.

I have to disagree with Jen on this... if you don't currently use walk breaks, then you don't need to start. I wish I had never started using walk breaks. It's too easy to become dependent on them.

Then we shall disagree. I stand by what I suggested.
Walk breaks are a great way to build endurance, even if you have never used them. It was the way I was able to go from a rut of running 20-30 minutes max each time to half-marathon distances. It sometimes is hard to force yourself to slow down in order to build endurance-- a common problem in new runners is to run as hard as you can each time and then burn out.

I know sub-1:45 half-marathoners and 3:30 marathoners who use walk breaks, so being "dependent on them" isn't such a bad thing. As an experienced runner you should be able to eliminate them if you want by moderating your pace.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

phatgirlslim
Percy Williams

Postby phatgirlslim » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:29 am

Hi all! I'm going to try the 10 and 1 trick this morning since I don't think I can just push past the barrier yet. I also expanded my route to the whole 5K. That way, whether I run the whole thing or not, I've got the distance. I'll let you all know how it goes for me. Thanks for the advice!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:37 am

phatgirlslim wrote:Hi all! I'm going to try the 10 and 1 trick this morning since I don't think I can just push past the barrier yet. I also expanded my route to the whole 5K. That way, whether I run the whole thing or not, I've got the distance. I'll let you all know how it goes for me. Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to RM.
I do like Jen's suggestion about the 10 and 1's
I no longer run using them (on long runs I generally stop every 18-20 minutes for a drink) but found them very helpful in getting me started on my road to running.
Yes...let us know how it goes!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

phatgirlslim
Percy Williams

Postby phatgirlslim » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:57 am

Ok, so I'm back. I expanded my route to 5K and tried the 10 and 1's. It worked pretty well. I did find that after the 2nd 10 I had to shorten them a bit because I was tired and still had a ways to go. The route I took was fairly hilly too so I think that had a factor. I like that I now know what 5K looks like and I definitely ran way more than I walked so I'm good with it. My poor dog is now flaked out on the floor. Thanks for all the advice, I can't wait to get to know you all better!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:18 am

Great to hear! As you get used to the time on your feet, you'll eventually be able to get rid of the walk breaks if you want to.

Return to “The Scenic Route”