Ditching the clock

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
QuickLittleLizard
Percy Williams

Ditching the clock

Postby QuickLittleLizard » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi Guys! :D

After a back spasm at Christmas carrying the twins, then getting sick and bla bla bla, I had to stop running for a month. I know... I was up to Week 4 in the C25K program. I started up again in Week 3, then moved up again to 4... then psyched myself out. How? I was keeping track of the time. Every time a minute increase came I got nervous and told myself how much harder it was going to be and I wasn't really enjoying it anymore. When I was younger and ran long distance track, timing each stint was the last thing on my mind. I ran until I got tired, took a little break and started again - and saw how long it took only at the end.

So, that's what I did. I actually covered the timer on the tradmill, and I had half an hour to run (life with kids, heh). I felt WAY better during the running parts and just listened to my body. Turns out I can do more than 5 mins at a time. I did TEN minutes, 2 min break, and TEN minutes again! I broke the 3K point which was nagging me and in my half hour workout I went 3.1K. :lol: But I FELT better about it. (And watched my show.)

My Stabil 6 shoes are GREAT, my back is better, and tonight I actually got a little leg burn from the extended efforts that I'm actually able to do. I know the C25K is great for some people, but I had to ditch it and do my own thing. It's different for everyone, eh? Still adjusting, still adjusting...

Happy running, peeps. :dance:

Marcy
Http://www.marcyitaliano.com
Website Designer, Writer, Twin Mama = one busy gal!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Ditching the clock

Postby Kelodie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:05 am

Awesome! If there's one thing running has taught me, it is that one size fits all doesn't really exist. I'm glad you found that out early in your new running "carreer"! :D

Keep it up!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

QuickLittleLizard
Percy Williams

Postby QuickLittleLizard » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:43 am

Thanks, Kelodie!!

Just a quick update. :D

I ran outside yesterday in the sunny February weather on a different, yet still kina hilly route. I reached my own personal best, 3.5K in 31 mins. I am in much better shape than when I tried outside in December! :lol: But man, I'm achy today. Monday Monday...
Http://www.marcyitaliano.com
Website Designer, Writer, Twin Mama = one busy gal!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:46 am

Nice job!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

jzoom
Percy Williams

Postby jzoom » Sat May 01, 2010 7:59 am

I too cover up the clock when running. I prefer to stop thinking about the time and focus on the run.

Return to “The Scenic Route”