2 cyclists killed crossing Canada

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

2 cyclists killed crossing Canada

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm

:(

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2013/07/24 ... r-nipigon/

The Trans Canada through northern Ontario is treacherous. Unpaved shoulders, high speeds, lots of truck traffic. I believe a cyclist was killed last year too (or the year before). And I believe it's the only road option for crossing Canada by bike through that area.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: 2 cyclists killed crossing Canada

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 pm

The one on the Trans Canada from last year:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45754

Another from a 2008 charity ride, died on Trans Canada in Manitoba:
http://www.bikingbis.com/2008/06/30/2-k ... ycle-ride/

Probably others, too, I seem to recall this coming up a lot. :(

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:45 pm

When my friend Brian did his cross-Canada ride two summers ago he did say that the parts in/around Thunder Bay were horrible. He's one of the minority if people who have done the trip east to west (most go west to east).

ETA: as as was mentioned in those other threads, there are no alternative roads to the TCH in N-Ontario and some parts west.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:55 pm

La wrote:When my friend Brian did his cross-Canada ride two summers ago he did say that the parts in/around Thunder Bay were horrible. He's one of the minority if people who have done the trip east to west (most go west to east).

ETA: as as was mentioned in those other threads, there are no alternative roads to the TCH in N-Ontario and some parts west.

Correct - there's only one highway between Nipigon and just west of Thunder Bay. But even where there's multiple choices (such as 11 through Longlac or 17 through Wawa) the highways are only single lane in each direction, often shoulderless, and full of trucks.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Be careful folks!

There were also two fatalities on-course at a triathlon my wife competed in last weekend in Geneva, New York.

Two things you think might cause only minor to major injuries - a rider rear-ending a disabled vehicle and a rider hitting a water bottle on the road - both caused fatal injuries.

Terrible stuff.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:24 pm

La wrote:When my friend Brian did his cross-Canada ride two summers ago he did say that the parts in/around Thunder Bay were horrible. He's one of the minority if people who have done the trip east to west (most go west to east).

That stretch around the Terry Fox Memorial near Thunder Bay is scary enough on a motorcycle, I would not want to try it on a bicycle....
"You're in over your head Donny..."

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:Two things you think might cause only minor to major injuries - a rider rear-ending a disabled vehicle and a rider hitting a water bottle on the road - both caused fatal injuries.

Triathletes need to get out and learn proper bike handling skills... too many have no clue what they're doing! Just watch the chaos at the dismount line.. a lot of riders with minimal experience on the most difficult kind of bike to handle. A recipe for disaster.

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “The Dark Side”