A Report on Triathlon Deaths

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

A Report on Triathlon Deaths

Postby drghfx » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:34 pm

"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: A Report on Triathlon Deaths

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:22 am

Very interesting read.

Regarding mass vs wave starts - as a slower swimmer, I prefer the mass start. At Ironman, I seeded myself near the back and to the outside, and didn't have to worry about faster swimmers catching up to me the entire swim. I found that much more comfortable than wave starts, when you know there are fast folks 2-3 minutes behind you who will be eager to pass, and may not do it in the kindest/safest way.

(Sidebar - does anyone know if IMMT allows wave switching? Doing it in 2014...)

Makes sense that the deaths occur largely during the swim, if you have a problem on the bike or run, you may fall down but you can still at least breathe! Still a pretty small number of people, and sounds like many/most have underlying conditions that contributed.

Best advice I got (that I only used once) is that if you get in any kind of trouble, you can always just pull off to the side, lie on your back, and chillax for a bit... especially at Ironman, it's a long day, a minute or two won't ruin your day.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:40 am

sort of an aside: why does IM put slower swimming waves in front of faster swimmers?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:56 am

Spirit wrote:sort of an aside: why does IM put slower swimming waves in front of faster swimmers?

They don't do it intentionally, it's just they break it down by age group so each wave has a mix of abilities.

This was 2013:

Code: Select all

Wave   Start Time   Category   Cap Color
1   6:36   Pro Men   GREEN FLUO
2   6:39   Pro Women   RED
3   6:42   M 18 - 34   WHITE
4   6:45   M 35 - 39   DARK GREEN
5   6:48   M 40 - 44   YELLOW FLUO
6   6:51   M 45 - 49   NAVY
7   6:54   M 50 +   POWDER BLUE
8   6:57   W 18 - 34   CARDINAL
9   7:00   W 35+   PINK

I'd be in wave 4, with the 40-44 men just 3 minutes back, 45-49 6 minutes back, etc... I can pretty much guarantee there are people in every wave behind me who are fast enough to catch me in the 3.8km swim, which means I'm slowing them up and they're interfering with me too... doesn't really benefit anyone that I can see, and makes the swim that much more stressful.

Edit: found this discussion, sounds like a few were a bit frustrated with it:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowt ... _P4717185/

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:11 am

oh. I guess it makes sense to go with gender and age group, so you can race with your category.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:34 pm

The rolling self-seeded start at IM Coeur d'Alene worked really well. Faster at the front, slower at the back. Kind of how they do corrals at a running race.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:43 pm

La wrote:The rolling self-seeded start at IM Coeur d'Alene worked really well. Faster at the front, slower at the back. Kind of how they do corrals at a running race.

That works for me. Only downside is when you come across someone in your age group on the road, you don't know where you stand because they may have started ahead/behind you. For the Kona slots that's important. For me, not so much. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:39 am

jonovision_man wrote:
La wrote:The rolling self-seeded start at IM Coeur d'Alene worked really well. Faster at the front, slower at the back. Kind of how they do corrals at a running race.

That works for me. Only downside is when you come across someone in your age group on the road, you don't know where you stand because they may have started ahead/behind you. For the Kona slots that's important. For me, not so much. :)

jono

It's still one gun time for the age group athletes.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:35 am

IronColl wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Really? Only one time is listed and that is net time (chip time) based on your swim start. I didn't think they used gun time for anything....
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:48 am

Jwolf wrote:
IronColl wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Really? Only one time is listed and that is net time (chip time) based on your swim start. I didn't think they used gun time for anything....

they don't. it's chip time.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:14 pm

The one site I was at didn't indicate there was a chip time. My bad.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Yeah, so the potential exists for you to see someone in your age group, catch them, pass them, beat them by a couple of minutes...

... only to find out they started 5 minutes after you and still beat you, and you missed your Kona spot!

(I'm using "you" instead of "me" since Kona is not a reality for me :))

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Yeah, so the potential exists for you to see someone in your age group, catch them, pass them, beat them by a couple of minutes...

... only to find out they started 5 minutes after you and still beat you, and you missed your Kona spot!

(I'm using "you" instead of "me" since Kona is not a reality for me :))

Well, that's still kind of true even with a mass start. Sure, if you pass someone in your AG you'll for sure finish ahead of them in the standings (you might be in 3rd, but you might be 123rd), but most people won't know if they've qualified for Kona until the results come out later.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “The Dark Side”