MCM (Marine Corps Marathon) 2007 Race Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Strider
Jerome Drayton

MCM (Marine Corps Marathon) 2007 Race Report

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:40 pm

I had heard for a number of years that this was one of the Marathons you “have” to run. A race for the ordinary people, no prize money, no elites and hosted by the US Marines in Arlington VA / Washington DC.

Kim and I arrived late Friday afternoon, it was pouring and at rush hour. We waited almost and hour for a Taxi and then it took over an hour to get to our destination, the race expo. We arrived with about 45 minutes till closing, so we raced around the expo getting in as much as we could while dragging along our luggage. :D Fortunately we ran into the Plodders who guided us to the hotel, via Washington’s great subway system.

Saturday was spent following our usual pre-race prep. Easy 4k run followed by TV, hydrating and carbing up. We enjoyed a wonderful pasta dinner on a patio Saturday evening with a few other maniacs (who were back on speaking terms :) )

Sunday morning was the usual Banana, Coffee and Oatmeal, etc. We did the 2k walk to start line where I hung out for the next 45 minutes, while Kim found the 10k start. I got more nervous as I waited.

Goal for this race was to be uncomfortable. My last two marathons I have gone out easy, running negative splits, but taking a conservative approach. For this I decided I was going to push from the start. Coming off my 1st 50k trail race 6 weeks ago, I was not sure how my road legs were, but I figured I’d shoot for a 3:17:xx time, so about 7:30/mile average.

We started right on time. The first 8 miles of the race consist of a 250 ft climb, followed by the same descent, a 150ft climb followed by the descent. At almost the bottom of the first descent I hear, “wheelchair right”. As I look over my right shoulder, so does the guy in front of me, the difference -> he slowed. I clipped his heel and fell, hard. Left quad and hip scratched (road rash) and bruised, right knee and elbow scratched. Saving me was my throw-away gloves that shredded but protected my hands. I picked myself up right away. With 20,000 people coming up behind you; you have to, so I kept on trucking. I was sore, and had 22 miles to go. Grabbed some water at the next water station and tried to sooth my left quad.

I hit the 8 mile mark right on my goal pace and kept pushing a little faster. Managed well until the about 16 miles where I was really starting to tire. There was a pretty stiff head wind in sections that seemed to just zap my energy. By about 20 miles I decided that 3:17 was just not going to happen and started ratcheting it back so I could finish, still running.
The last 2 miles were an exercise in mental toughness. Up hill, into the wind, tired and sore, I just kept pushing forward. The real saving grace at this point was that even though I was slowing, I was not really getting passed, and I was still passing people. Good to know everyone was hurting equally.

I crossed the finish line in 3:20:50. My time was 35 seconds slower than Ottawa, but on a tougher course, with a banged up hip and quad, I’ll take it. For me this was a confirmation of Ottawa. I really can run a Marathon in 3:20, very cool.

Final Stats – Finished 749/20674 overall, etc etc..

Splits
1&2–16:02
3-7:36
4-7:03
5&6–15:09
7-6:59
8-7:13
9-7:16
10-7:19
11-7:19
12-7:17
13-7:29
14-7:27
15-7:26
16-7:30
17-7:33
18-7:45
19-7:49
20-7:48
21-7:52
22-8:02
23-8:03
24-8:04
25-8:20
26.2-10:31

Post race rum and hot tub, food and Maniac laughs, MCM medal, coin, finisher’s shirt - it was worth it all. I am sore and bruised, but I loved this race and would go back again. The next day, we walked around Washington for 5 hours before heading to the Airport. You can’t go all the way to Washington without seeing some of the famous sights, even after a really tough marathon. Right? Washington is a beautiful city and the Marines put on a great race. :D

Thanks
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:47 pm

Congratulations Strider my Love! You rocked. You are such a strong, fast, determined runner and competitor. You don't let anything get in your way of reaching your goals. I am terribly proud of you and so thankful that I could share Washington with you. It was an extremely difficult race and that wind was really strong. You DID it! And you have the war wounds to show for it. That's some nasty bruise and scraping too.
I am very happy that I was there to hug you after the finish. Too bad Joe wasn't around for the post hug photo.
Be proud Strider. Ooh-Rah Baby.
Boston is just around the corner now. :lol:

Finisher's Page:

http://community.marathonfoto.com/1369/finisher.cfm?bib=1481&lastName=BOHN
Last edited by MrsStrider on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mrs. Strider :)
.....What I can't do is ALL in my Head. What I CAN do is ALL in my Heart.

Ex-maniac
Tom Longboat

Postby Ex-maniac » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm in awe. Sorry we didn't get to meet David, I would have enjoyed that. However, you ran a great race and I hope one day to match your metal toughness out there. Cheers;

Mark.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:48 pm

Congratulations, on a great race, david ... or, shall I say, Peacekeeper ... :P

If you are interested, I kept a copy of yesterday's Washington Post Sports Section ... They only listed one page of the Men's and Women's Finishers, approx. first 1,000 or so .... I can save it for ya .... :wink: :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:51 pm

HCiD wrote:Congratulations, on a great race, dave ... or, shall I say, Peacekeeper ... :P

If you are interested, I kept a copy of yesterday's Washington Post Sports Section ... They only listed one page of the Men's and Women's Finishers, approx. first 1,000 or so .... I can save it for ya .... :wink: :P

Thanks, I got a copy of the Post. Check with the Plodders, they may have missed it. Dave's name is in the list.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:56 pm

Nice race Strider, another great result.

Looks like you went out a bit faster then your plan, do you think that hurt you later in the race?
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:01 pm

:clap:

For me this was a confirmation of Ottawa. I really can run a Marathon in 3:20, very cool.

I totally understand that.

great work Mr. Strider! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Holy sheesh, you had a trip-and-fall and still hit 3:20 on that course? :shock:

Another in your many displays of race toughness.

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:04 pm

Congaratulation Great result despite early accident :clap: :clap: :clap:
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Robbie-T wrote:Nice race Strider, another great result.

Looks like you went out a bit faster then your plan, do you think that hurt you later in the race?

It is hard to say. I did go faster, but I wanted to. I wanted it to hurt. Sounds silly, but I wanted to see what I had, to see if I could hold it.

But yes, if I had started a little slower I might have finished a little faster, but not as fast as I had wanted. I secretly wanted a 3:15, and I now really believe I can do it.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:10 pm

strider wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:Nice race Strider, another great result.

It is hard to say. I did go faster, but I wanted to. I wanted it to hurt. Sounds silly, but I wanted to see what I had, to see if I could hold it.

But yes, if I had started a little slower I might have finished a little faster, but not as fast as I had wanted. I secretly wanted a 3:15, and I now really believe I can do it.

Cool, so sub 3:15 in Boston eh!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Great race and report. I have to say, you and MrsStrider are an excellent example of a supportive couple; you both express yourselves extremely well and give so much to each other and the community around you. Congratulations on confirming your Ottawa result, and heal quickly.
BG

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:18 pm

Robbie-T wrote:Cool, so sub 3:15 in Boston eh!!

Shhhhhh :D

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:18 pm

Congratulations! You are one tough racer! Looking forward to reading about that 3:15 in the future.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:23 pm

MrsStrider wrote: Too bad Joe wasn't around for the post hug photo.

Maybe the lady's name was Joe

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:18 pm

strider wrote:
MrsStrider wrote: Too bad Joe wasn't around for the post hug photo.

Maybe the lady's name was Joe

Teheheheeee...... I had forgotten about that! Or JoJoe.... :oops:

Thanks BaldGuy! That is so sweet of you to say and thank YOU for your support. :D
Mrs. Strider :)
.....What I can't do is ALL in my Head. What I CAN do is ALL in my Heart.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:07 pm

Great race, my man!!! There must have been a million thoughts go through your mind in the space of 10 seconds when you crashed. Kudos for getting up and killing the course in response. More in the tank yet, for sure. Some R&R, let the body heal up from a long, hard summer and you're ready to prepare for that 3.15 at Boston.

I had the same thoughts about starting too fast...but sometimes you do have to put it all on the line and see what's in the tank. That's how you learn about yourself.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:01 am

A nice solid performance.....and a confidence builder for sure...3:20 daaaam!!!!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:43 am

Congrats on an amazing time!!! 3:15 is so within reach.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:47 am

Congratulations David - it was such a pleasure to meet Kim and yourself and get to know you!

I still can't believe you ran the race you did with the fall you experienced. Amazing! Congrats again!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:44 am

great job!!
somedays, even my lucky rocketship undies don't help

Return to “Run/Race Reports”