MrsStrider's MCM 10k & a few thousand Marines in Washing

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

MrsStrider's MCM 10k & a few thousand Marines in Washing

Postby MrsStrider » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:10 pm

Maniacs meet the Marines..... What an awesome Event!

Months ago, David said that he really wanted to run the Marine Core Marathon hosted by the US Marines in Arlington VA / Washington DC. As we had so much fun traveling to Houston for the Marathon in January, I was in. I would run the MCM10K – my 2nd 10k race.

On Friday, Oct. 26th, we boarded the plane for Washington. After several hours of planes, trains and automobiles, we finally arrived at the hotel. At bedtime, it hit me that there was only 1 more day until the race and boy did I ever start to get nervous. I was really concerned about my knee pain and about my hip that kept going out.

Saturday we ran an easy 4k to find the Finish line and try to see where the Start Line was. After that, we put our feet up for the afternoon, watching movies, eating lots and drinking tons of water. We enjoyed a wonderful pasta dinner on a patio Saturday evening with a few Maniacs – Andy, Ian and Brendan. I felt an odd calm the night before.

Sunday morning, we met Andy in the Lobby @ 6:30 am and started walking the 2k to the Start Line. Once we found David’s Coral, we kissed goodbye and I headed to the 10K Start which was another km down the road, beside the Pentagon. When I heard the 8:00 am Marathon start, I said a silent prayer for David and then I did all my final pre-race stuff including tossing my throw away pants. I nervously headed to the start line in anxious anticipation of the 8:20 am start. It was cold and very windy. I was shivering. They announced the 2 minute warning, everyone moved forward to the start, but a few seconds later, they announced that the start would be delayed. As there were still marathoners going through the start (20 minutes into the race), the 10k couldn’t start until they could remove the barricades as we would be passing through that area. Finally, 25 minutes later, we were off. I was so cold that I couldn’t feel my legs for the first 2k, but I was thrilled to be moving. Around 3k, I started hearing sirens. The sirens kept getting louder and louder until I realized that they were coming up right behind me. Runners started moving to the side of the route to get out of the way. As I looked back, there were several police motorcycles followed by quite a few police vehicles and they were speeding through the runners. The sirens were thundering loud. I kept running, but I was scared. I had just run by the Pentagon which had been hit by a plane, I was in Washington, I had run by officers with machine guns and I didn’t know what was happening. My heart was pounding and my adrenaline was skyrocketing. I kept running. The police procession finally passed me and continued down the 10k route. Once I realized that everything was okay, I calmed down and just kept going. At least I was no longer cold.
About 6k my left knee started to hurt quite a bit, but I chose to ignore it. At 8.5k, I was into the final uphill finish and heading directly into the strong wind. I was getting tired. I kept pushing on, knowing that it wasn’t much further. I kept thinking about the 22,000 marathoners and telling myself that I was only doing a fraction of what they were so ‘Suck It Up Princess’. So what it hurts! Just do it! So, I did it. Coming into the Finish, I was tired, but I kept pushing. My Goal time was 49:00 – I wanted to beat my 1st and last 10k which was 49:48. When I finished, my Garmin read 48:37 and 10.10 km. I was very pleased. When the results were posted, my chip time was 48:50, placing 4th in my Age Group. WooHoo! I was 4th in my AG for the 5k in Houston too. Perhaps next year when I move into the 45-49 AG, I’ll break into the Top 3. I can always dream.

I picked up my medal, got my Finisher’s Photo and anxiously awaited David’s marathon finish. I watched David run in and then searched through the sea of people until I heard David call my name. Then came the best part of all….. the congratulatory hug. It was a tough day, challenging races for both of us, but it was a wonderful day in Washington for the Striders. It was lots of fun sharing the experience with other Maniacs too. Thanks Carla, Dave, Ian, Brendan and Andy!
:dance: Ooh-Rah!

Some pics posted:
http://www.runningmania.com/gallery.php
Last edited by MrsStrider on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mrs. Strider :)
.....What I can't do is ALL in my Head. What I CAN do is ALL in my Heart.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:15 pm

:clap::clap: Awesome race, report and PB, Kimberly :clap::clap:

It was great hooking up with you and David this weekend ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Congratulations on fast time, PB and great AG place :clap: :clap: :clap:
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:40 pm

Great race!! Congrats! 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:54 pm

Way to go Kim!!! That must have felt strange with the cops driving through the race. Maybe it was George Bush doing the race in his limo.

Congrats on a nice PB. Especially with the cold and the sore knee/hip going on.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Great race Kim, congrats!!!

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:02 am

48 min and 4th?????
CONGRATS!!!

Well done for sure!!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:11 am

It really is hard for me to put into words how proud I am of you (thankful too). I remember when you first started running and you could only run for a couple of minutes at a time, and now you are smokin' 1,000's of people in Washington. As with everything you do, you push to the edge of your ability and then figure out how to go beyond. You inspire me and challenge me.

Thanks for a great weekend my love. Washington sure was Wonderful.

XOX
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:52 am

strider wrote:It really is hard for me to put into words how proud I am of you (thankful too). I remember when you first started running and you could only run for a couple of minutes at a time, and now you are smokin' 1,000's of people in Washington. As with everything you do, you push to the edge of your ability and then figure out how to go beyond. You inspire me and challenge me.

Thanks for a great weekend my love. Washington sure was Wonderful.

XOX

Sniff sniff..... thank you my 3:20 Hunny. You mean everything to me. And HAPPY Halloween!

Smooches,

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:41 am

Congrats on your race!! I have a feeling we will be seeing you flying by in a 1/2 soon :D

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:44 am

Congratulations Kim! It was awesome to meet you in Washington and you did freakin amazing! I love your approach to these 10ks - run like hell and get them over with! :wink:

And, all I'm going to say - never say never to the half....you may be surprized! :wink:

'till we meet again!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Ex-maniac
Tom Longboat

Postby Ex-maniac » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:40 am

I love your attitude Kim! Well done, a very well deserved result. Congratulations!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:59 am

You have such great spirit! It's awesome to see you making so much of your natural talent. You have many podium results in your future for sure.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:13 pm

Congratulations on a great performance! I bet we'll be seeing you on that podium soon.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:02 pm

Well done, Kim!!! You beat the cold, and the pain, and the wind and the sirens and the crowds, for a Personal Best !!! That's what it's all about. Moreover, you had a fun weekend and hung out with some of the coolest maniacs around.8)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! and may there be many more.

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:31 am

Kim, it's always a pleasure to read your race reports as your enthusiasm shines through. What an awesome race and race result. (No complaining about 4th in your age group!!! No way, we won't hear it!) Way to focus on your race through those sirens. :oops: I react very emotionally to sirens :oops: so I can only imagine the impact they would have on your adrenaline/HR. Way to stay focused!
As was stated above, NEVER say never to a 1/2! You've got it in you, for sure. Go for it!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:17 am

Thank you ALL so much for your wonderful comments and amazing support. You are all so terrific!

Well, Strider had the gumption (ya, weird word) to ask me if I might consider pacing him through the 1/2 for the 2009 Goofy @ Disney..... what nerve eh? :roll: Ya, ya, ya.... we'll see. I just so not sure if I could run that distance. With the way my knee is feeling right now.... ARG. Anyway, I'm still smiling about it.

Thanks again all your Merry Maniacs!

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:42 pm

MrsStrider wrote:Thank you ALL so much for your wonderful comments and amazing support. You are all so terrific!

Well, Strider had the gumption (ya, weird word) to ask me if I might consider pacing him through the 1/2 for the 2009 Goofy @ Disney..... what nerve eh? :roll: Ya, ya, ya.... we'll see. I just so not sure if I could run that distance. With the way my knee is feeling right now.... ARG. Anyway, I'm still smiling about it.

Thanks again all your Merry Maniacs!

Kim, no need to wait for 2009 to run your first 1/2! You've a few 10K's under your belt, the natural progression would be 21K. (I am relatively new to running (2 1/2 yrs at it) and progressed from only one 10K race to a 1/2 clinic at RR targetting NCM as my goal race. My goal(s) was "to finish", I trained in a 2:30 group, and I accomplished both, finishing in 2:26.) Yep, I know, I don't have the speed you do! :?

Kim, I strongly encourage you to give this some serious thought without waiting til 2009! (but obviously after you've rested up that knee of yours) It is definitely something you are capable of! Go for it!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott

Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling

Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick

It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:10 pm

WOW! That is so fast- great job! It sounds like an incredible weekend. Congratulations!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:16 am

Well Done! And Congratulations on your PB!!! The race sounds great and is on my 'to do' list :lol:
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:32 am

Fantastic job!
Wow- 4th in your age group- that is outstanding!!!

Scary about all those sirens and police, eh!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”