It's up to Doonst - new york new york

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

It's up to Doonst - new york new york

Postby Doonst » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:23 pm

ING New York Marathon, my fifth. I started planning for this before my first 18 months go. I needed a sub 1:40 half to qualify, I did that twice last year, officially at Springbank London. That was before my BQ, thereby setting up the dream year for 2008. I only even considered it because we have friends in Boston and my brother Barry in Manhattan.
In the meantime I threw in PEC 4 weeks ago for a fast one this year, PB in 3:33. Like at Boston, New York was for the experience, yes just for fun.
This was to be a whirlwind trip. We could only take one day off work, so that would be Monday. Drove down Friday 4 PM after work, arriving 1 AM. Only grief was Oakville to Hamilton on the QEW. We left the car in a parking garage for 3 days, $45. Barry and his family have a condo on 204th St., puppy, SUV and all.
Saturday morning we went with brother and puppy to a local farmers market. Then we headed down in the SUV to the race expo at 33rd and 11th. I got a pair of next year's Mizuno's and a race hat. Lineups weren't as bad as I expected. Barry was having fun showing us (especially dawdling Heather) how to thrive in Manhattan. Walking aggressively, jumping lineups, arguing with waiters, and haggling with cabbies. Afterwards he dropped us off at 42nd St. pier where Heather and I took the 3 hour Circle Lines boat tour of the island. This was Heather's first time in New York City. 4:30 we walked through Times Square for a while then grabbed a cab back uptown. Then a pasta dinner and quiet evening.

Sunday morning went well, banana coffee and Cliff bar. Ride to the 6:30 Staten island Ferry. It was a cool and pretty windy morning on the water. Runners from all over, so many nations on the ferry. It was a good way to get there, shuttle buses at the other end. It is quite an amazingly organized operation, the whole race, with 40,000 people it has to be. I would say it is well run. I walked around most areas looking for stray Manics, didn't see any so I headed to my green area. Time actually went quick, it didn't seem like forever waiting. Dave Run26.2 spotted me in the portolet line and came over and shook hands. I also spotted someone from my town next to me at one point, had a good chat. I was essentially by myself but talked to people from all over the world. It is a most international event. All to soon we're lined up for the start. The race started 3 minutes late.??
The Verrazano Bridge didn't seem like such a tough incline, but the headwind was both cold and tough. Crowds weren't all that bad, just at times, like any big race. Nobody got peed on on the lower level, that is an urban myth for the most part. Brooklyn was great. It is half the race, I thought it might be too much of the same thing. It like the whole city is just a lot of distinct neighbourhoods. Every 4 blocks was often like a new town. In essence that what I got from this race: visiting a lot of proud neighbourhoods who came out to give you a big welcome. Great bands all along the course. People, lots of them, and such characters. Quite a few characters in the race too. As for my running, it was steady and solid. Not trying for a PB, I was doing 5:0X's to 5:10's for the first 35 K, then slipping a bit. One exception was the 59th St (Queensboro) Bridge, it was a tough slog. Probably the single hardest hill. The halfway point was on the uphill bridge between Brooklyn and Queens. Queens was quick, only 3 or 4 K, mostly memorable for its narrower streets. Then that bridge, to Manhattan, around 25 K.
Crowds on the island were big as expected. Felt just a little rough after the bridge. My achilles was especially painful, usually doesn't hurt much when I run. Large and loud crowds all up 1st Avenue of the Upper East Side, but I was starting to tune them out. Maybe it was the wider 6 lane road, or maybe the pain. There was a medium strong headwind for most of the first 20 miles. Soon enough we were in the Bronx, the last of the boroughs. A few short but exuberant blocks and its back to Manhattan.
Okay about here, the last 10K, it started feeling like the last part of a marathon. Because I hadn't been pushing flat out it wasn't too bad, but still. Started looking for Heather, Barry and his wife, it took a long time but they were one at of the places they said they might be, 116th St. Heather clicked a few pictures and then Barry ran alongside for a while to get more. After 5 blocks, I thought he was gone. Around the 23 mile mark, there was a very long hill, maybe a full K. That was tough. Once again I saw Barry running ahead, then stopping for pictures. Finally we entered Central Park. It was still hilly, some up some down. It seemed like one of the three lanes was for people limping along, really was quite a few. I felt better here and finally my pace picked up again. Good strong finish and we're done. 3:47:08, that's in the range I was aiming for, not too hard but respectable. I wasn't sure until raceday if I was over my cold I'd had or over 2 weeks, so I was pretty happy.
There was a really long walk for everyone after the finish, to get your food, medal, bag pickup and chip removal. As in 15 blocks or more, took about 30 minutes. My leg were painful here as usual after a marathon, but it took a while after eating for it to subside. I was cold again after like I had been before the race. JLA (Jessica) caught up with me when I was changing clothes n a park bench and we had a good chat. Then met up with the family at 81st St, no problem. Lunch nearby, then home to 204th St for beers and a bath.

So many people, runners, stories. In other words there was always a lot to take in. The hassle level that I expected was never all that great, from the starting area to the crowds on the route. Always there yes, but not all that bad. Certainly the large experiences more than made up for the grief. It would be a different story of course if we were doing it all in a rainy nor'easter. It is a great race, very different feel than Boston but very worth doing. I'd say it is the harder course of the two. Thanks New York for letting 40,000 strangers into your city and making them feel so welcome !

Here's some pictures. First one is 6:30 AM at the Staten island Ferry. My brother got up and drove me down from the north tip of Manhattan to the south. The next ones are on 5th Avenue from 116th Street in East Harlem at around the 23 mile mark. My brother ran along for 8 minutes at a 5:21 pace to take these pictures, so about a mile. Eventually we are beside Central Park. Final running ones show the long hill. Then after the finish, JLA and myself, and Barry and me.

Last edited by Doonst on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:26 pm

Wow, great photos! You and your brother really look alike!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:37 pm

I don't need no stinking wordy report, You are the Man Doonster!!

Who else qualifies for NYC and Boston Marathon and runs them both the next year!!!?? Never mind the other accomplishments along the way.

Doonst Does!

I look up to you man, and not just cause you are taller then me either.

Wish I could have made the road trip with you.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Yep Doonst Rocks.

Besides...when you're as cute as him...a Pic Report does just fine :D :D :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Yep Doonst Rocks.

Besides...when you're as cute as him...a Pic Report does just fine :D :D :wink:

I agree 8) And we can see your cute face because you are running with your head up in most of the pics and not looking at the ground :wink: Congrats Sheldon, you had a remarkable year !!!
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:42 pm

hurry up with the report, man...oh, good pictures! :D
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:07 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words! Great looking pictures, and well done!

PS - always wave with the opposite hand to the cameraman. ;)
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:07 pm

nice photos. Now how did the race go?
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:02 pm

Awesome--it sounds like it was a blast! Congratulations!!
Louise

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:53 am

Great report and pictures. What an awesome finish to an amazing year.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:27 am

Congratulations - what a way to cap off an incredible year. Well done!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:34 am

Those are fabulous photos!

Oh, and Doonst...you ROCK!

Enjoy the memories you've made this year!
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:50 am

Congratulations!

What a great year you've had. Really enjoyed the report and the pictures.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:06 am

OK, now I've read the report to go along with the photos. How amazing is it in a 26-mile race with 40,000 competitors that you'd run into a friend from home, an Ottawa maniac and JLA while sitting on a park bench. :wink:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:18 am

What an experience Sheldon!!! So when is Chicago? :D

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:47 am

Great report, Sheldon! It sounds like such a great marathon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Magoo
Tom Longboat

Postby Magoo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:24 am

Great photos. I really enjoyed this one as well.
Too bad I didn't see you around the course or
the city. I'm going to go back for the Nyc Half
next summer I think.

Congratulations on a great year.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:31 am

Congratulations Doonst! What a fabulous year! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:32 am

Bravo Sheldon... thanks so much for sharing an amazing experience with us!

You do rock and man, you have the best legs ever!!! 8)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:04 am

Thanks for sharing the experience, Sheldon. You have had quite a year!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 am

Congratulations Doonst! Great report. Thanks.

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Great race report!

Other than the end of marathon fatigue and a couple painful hills, sounds like a really fun race and trip.

Good job, and enjoy your recovery.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:41 pm

Great race, Sheldon. NY is special and, when I ran it in '82, there were people peeing off the bridge! Congrats on doing the biggie in the Big Apple and having a solid run.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:41 pm

Ed Fizz wrote:What an experience Sheldon!!! So when is Chicago? :D

I'm making no plans right now (although I've heard good things). I realized that I've been planning for and training for a marathon for 2 solid years now. Since before I had even done one, I've had at least my next 2 fulls planned. I need a mental and physical break for a bit. Only one penciled in is Boston '10.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Congratulations Sheldon, you've accomplished great things!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Return to “Run/Race Reports”