HUFF 101, and 2005 Year in Review (long)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
rune163
Bill Crothers

HUFF 101, and 2005 Year in Review (long)

Postby rune163 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:19 pm

Hi folks,

A starbucks or whatever your poison is may be in order to read this report. Thanks to all for the kind words on the general discussion.

Flashback 5 years to my first introduction to the HUFF. June and I took our first venture to Huntington, Indiana in the midst of a fierce winter storm. The HUFF that year (2000) turned out to the be the worst conditions to date. Nearly 2-3 feet of snow lined the course for runners and only 3 people broke the 6 hour mark on a course that has a 3:26 record! I went through mile 1 with the leaders that year in 14 minutes. I then waited a few minutes for June to see what she was planning on doing as we both worked the next day back in Canada. We then agreed to run one loop and get the heck out of there. We finished loop 1 in 2:27 minutes in the Top 40!

Two years later we returned to better conditions, but still the 2nd worst conditions the HUFF had seen to date. We stuck it out and I was on the wrong end of the stick of the closest finish in HUFF history. With 4 miles to go I was trailing by about a minute and gaining. I launched into a kick but the fellow in front holding on for dear life did the same. Through about a foot of snow we charged over the trail for the final miles him looking over his shoulder, me putting the hammer down more. In the end he made it to the finish 12 seconds ahead to claim victory.

Last year the HUFF was my 101st marathon or longer and 5th in 7 weeks. Needless to say I was beat up but I wouldn't pass up a chance to run such a great event.

This year a group of 6 of us set out from Waterloo to Huntington to run the 9th Annual Huntington Ultra Frigid Fifty (HUFF). The course is 3 loops around Edward J. Roush Resevoir with each loop being 10.8 miles. There are few hills and 2 aid stations per loop plus the start finish aid station.

The course had about a foot of snow on it but rutted from previous usage before more snow fell. The first loop would prove to be tough but with 600 people in the races trampling over it loops 2 and 3 were said to be more runable. Amazingly despite 2 cases of Rolling Rock (which we picked up at the Owen's for $9.99) everyone stayed sober the night before.

Race morning saw a low of 8F with windchill but warmed to a nice 28F with the sun out in full force. As is tradition at the HUFF the race starts with the firing of a cannon which is deafening. Out with the relay runners I tear through the first mile in 5:12 (probably not smart!). I then settle in and slog through the snow praying that it actually does get better in the coming loops. I hit the end of Loop One in 2nd place but am beat. The miles this year have been long and my start was far from bright! Nonetheless I plow forward knowing folks may be paying attention on the HUFF radio and don't want anyone to become aware of my sorry state! Thankfully it gets better and isn't as tough as a pathway is there to some degree. For loop 3 I grab my mp3 player and just tune out listening to some Blink 182, Green Day, The Killers and Guns N' Roses. The end comes and I am satisfied with my run. 2005 has been long and the miles and racing miles have added up long before this race even started. I was very happy though to have no knee pains. Since October I have had some tracking probs with my knee due to a muscle imbalance and thus have ignored speed and tempo runs. I know feel strong to resume this and have the fire again to race hard. This wasn't the day though. The fellow who won in his ultra debut ran brilliantly and would of been tough to hunt down.

2005 started with a slew of ultras early on so I could get to 100 ultras this year and garner the record for the youngest to do them. It meant 15+ ultras the last few years and was nice to get out of the way. I had lots of time to get it but wanted it out of the way. I also had a chance at the wins record which was 12 (ended up with 9) but just ran out of gas. I will now be more selective on races I do to maintain that little extra hitch in my giddy up.

January saw friend Clark Zealand and myself share the honors at the 3 Dolla Bill 50k in course record time of 3:39:42. For January we couldn't have asked for better conditions. It was 20F in the morning and up to 29F by the end.

In March June and a friend Max from the UK took a trip to the Carl Touchstone 50k in De Soto National Forest in Southern Mississippi. We also spent a few days in New Orleans. I feel lucky to have visited the Crescent City before Hurricane Katrina but do look forward to returning to a very lovely and friendly city. Everyone we came across in New Orleans (and along the Gulf Coast) was very pleasant and welcoming of us Northern neighbors. I know these folks can't be kept down and New Orleans will thrive like it has in the past.

Pacing has always been an issue for me with my splits being erratic. The 50k in Mississippi changed that when I ran 1:24:58 for the first 20k and 1:24:58 for the second 20k. Faltering a bit in the 75F heat (compared to the snow in Canada at March!) I still held for a 3:34:42 and a course record.

April I hooked up with some friends and made the venture to Raleigh, North Carolina for the Umstead 50/100 miler. This race in unique in that they have a 50 mile option if the 100 isn't in the cards that day. It was rainy and I had caught a cold a few days earlier. When I got to the 50 mile marker and they said "if you stop now you win the 50 miler" how could I refuse! I was hurting like there was no tomorrow and desperately needed a beer! So instead of running into the evening I spent the night at a pub in Chapel Hill with thousands of UNC kids cheering on UNC in the NCAA Basketball semi finals! They won and the party was on!

Two weeks later, cold now gone, I went with some rookie ultra runners to the Buffalo 6-hour in Delaware Park. You run as many 1.77 mile loops as you can in 6 hours. This was the races 25th Anniversary and the RD and his crew of volunteers are great people and great ambassadors of the sport or running. The field is relatively small as the race is pretty low key (35 people) but very social as you are lapping people and being lapped and they have a great pizza and beer party and the local pizza joint after the race! I bumped into Michael Malinin (Goo Goo Dolls drummer) whom I hadn't seen in a few years and his friend from California. He was in Buffalo doing some recording and couldn't pass up an ultra! My friends came 3rd and 5th female in their ultra debut and were hooked!

May then might of been my best month of running ever. I put everything together in Toronto for the TUR 50k and knocked off a 3:13:18 which beat my PR from Chicago in 2000 (3:14:45) which I was beginning to think I would never beat. I slowed slightly over the last 11 miles but considering the opening 20 miles were 1:59 I was pleased. The course was a 10k loop - 5k out and back - so it was great to get support from the other runners who were very helpful and without it I probably wouldn't of ran that fast. It almost held up as the fastest 50k in North America in 2005 but two weeks ago 4 time Vancouver Marathon winner Uli Steidl ran a 3:07:50 at the Sunmart 50k down in Texas. No worries, Uli is a machine!

Three weeks later at Sulphur Springs 50 Miler I put it together again and everything just fell into place. June crewed me and is vicious. I spent a total of 1 minute, 36 seconds stopped at aid stations fueling as she is strict on time! Everything clicked even puking at 47 miles. June's instructions when I said I might puke soon were, "if your gonna puke make sure you puke fast!" It was a fast puke and little time was lost and I felt better after! the 6:26 trail 50 miler still is holding for the 2006 Canadian 100k Road Team.

In hindsight I peaked too early and I'm sure you all have heard about Western States. Everything felt great going in and I was probably in the best shape of my life getting ready for it. Somewhere between mile 30 and 45 things fell apart. I think I drank too little even though I was going through 2 bottles between stations as I was 10 pounds light when I hit the Foresthill Station (mile 62) where I eventually dropped out. It stunk to drop but if you can learn something and take that with you it will make you better in the future. I'm excited now about my next kick at the can at WS100.

As punishment for dropping in July I planned my triple 50 (three 50ks three weekends in a row). Plus it had come up that I was 1/2 way to the wins record. I started with the Damn Tough Ruff Bluff 50k in Owen Sound on a very hot and muggy day. June again was present to crew which is a good omen for me. Spending little time at aid stations and getting yelled at lots propelled me to a safe lead at halfway. With the win sealed I walked through the last station. June the slave driver she is tore into me which even prompted the aid station crew to take pity on me! If he wants the course record he'll get his (multiple cuss words) going! Yes June, I'm going. I really need to crew her in return sometime!!!!!

The next week was the Damn Wakely Dam 50k in the beautiful Adirondacks. The course has no aid stations, no road crossings, nothing in between the start and the finish 32.6 miles later. Carrying water and hurdling downed trees doing my best hurdler impression I was flying through the first 10 miles till I tripped on a tree, fell, sprained two fingers and spilt all my water. Now I had to resort to drinking untreated stream water for 22 miles. Long story short I got lost 3 times, puked 14 times (thank you creek water!) and tried to contend with the pains of sprained fingers I had a mental breakdown and just wanted to get to the end before anyone passed me. Oh yeah the car broke down too the day before travelling there costing me 5 hours of time and $500 US bucks! Thankfully I arrived at the Dam at the finish lead still in tact.

I think this was my breaking point for the year. It was 8 wins with over 5 months to go but I was drained and tired. It showed the next week at the Buckeye 50k in suburban Ohio. With the game plan being to follow whoever goes out and pray they start slow (which they did), I got dumb and took off into the lead! Well they caught me. Then I almost got rammed by a deer who charged at me when I tried to run down the trail (I'm serious too! I wasn't hallucinating.....I think) and walked the last 10 miles to the end.

August I took off to try to recharge the brain and legs as my training schedule was race, recover for 3 days, taper for 3 days, race.

September I did the RIM Park 30 Miler and threatened to be ahead of my TUR 50k pace but came short in 3:16:49. From there....done! At the Run for the Toad which was ultra #100 I was cooked. After the first loop was a death march and had June not been there to crew and support I was done for. It was a huge relief to get #100 out of the way although to be honest crossing the line looking like I just came out of the Gobi wasn't how I planned on #100 going!

I did a 6 hour race with some more newbies a few weeks later but stopped 2 hours in as that is when my knee started acting funny. The onto the HUFF which was ironically my 101st ultra! Maybe I will plan on making it my 101st 50k for the triple 101!!!!!

I really did enjoy the year though as I got so much time to spend with old friends, make new friends, explore some amazing places. I enjoy reading folks stories and goals. I look at those folks who write about their first 5k or first time they ran for 20 minutes and just think. I've seen so many people come from there and with dilegence and hard work they are writing what I'm writing, what Cheryl's writing about in race reports. Keep workin' it folks! Get out there and do it and most of all enjoy it. Enjoyment kept me going through the HUFF. Being out there with a bunch of other folks who may have different times in mind but we all share one thing in common, reaching the finish line. 4 hours, 8 hours. No different, we all got the same medal and ate the same Southwest Chowder, Vegan Chili, New Orleans Gumbo and Hearty Vegetable Soup at the end.

Happy trails and I look forward to reading about everyone's running in 2006!

Rune
"Ultras, where the athlete pays and the spectator gets in free."

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:28 pm

Wow!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:02 pm

You are defintely something else!
Keep up the hard work & here's to a successful campaign in 2006!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:13 pm

Rune,

Reading your race report...and your recap of your race season made me even more inspired to start training for my first FullM.

I look forward to meeting you at The Wolfe!

Happy trails to you... :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:46 pm

Ryne, you are amazing. Wow. Your spirit and dedication is a great inspiration to runners of all levels, from beginners to elite.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:48 pm

You're simply amazing. I'm so sorry I didn't hang around & say a quick hi at the Toad this year. Just fantastic, Rune.
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:48 pm

Amazing Ryne,

Congratulations
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:08 pm

Thanks for the report Ryne. I aspire to your level some day... :D

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:09 pm

Ryne, you are just amazing! You don't inspire me to do ultras (unless you count 25K at the Run for the Toad) because I really don't like the puking thing! :oops: But you are inspiring, nonetheless!!
Jane

dgrant1
Bruce Kidd

Postby dgrant1 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:40 pm

Absolutely amazing... :shock: :wink:
Next up:

Marvin Martian
Bruce Kidd

Postby Marvin Martian » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:47 pm

Heck of a read! Congratulations on an amazing season! 100 ultras, and in blazingly fast times!

I enjoy reading folks stories and goals. I look at those folks who write about their first 5k or first time they ran for 20 minutes and just think. I've seen so many people come from there and with dilegence and hard work they are writing what I'm writing, what Cheryl's writing about in race reports. Keep workin' it folks! Get out there and do it and most of all enjoy it.

Amen. There is a lot to be inspired by from the people on this board!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:37 pm

wow.

That is awesome! Congratulations on making your goal and doing such a fantastic job of it! I am definitely inspired!

And thanks for the encouraging words for us newbies. It's good to have you on our team!!

:)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:20 am

You are un-freakin-believable! I bow at your feet! You are a master!
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:48 am

Ryne, I don't want to sound redundant here, but you are incredible... Not that I'll ever be as fast as you, hell, I often wonder if I'll even get to the point where the marathon distance appeals to me :oops: , but you are an inspiration.

I do hope to "cross paths" with you one day - it would be a pleasure to shake your hand...

This will be one of those stories that I print & keep tucked away with my running stuff for inspiration.

Tracy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:17 am

I'm speechless! :o Congrats on a great season!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: HUFF 101, and 2005 Year in Review (long)

Postby Irongirl » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:18 am

My two favourite lines:

ultrarune wrote: Amazingly despite 2 cases of Rolling Rock (which we picked up at the Owen's for $9.99) everyone stayed sober the night before.

running machine wrote:I was flying through the first 10 miles till I tripped on a tree, fell, sprained two fingers and spilt all my water. Now I had to resort to drinking untreated stream water for 22 miles. Long story short I got lost 3 times, puked 14 times (thank you creek water!) and tried to contend with the pains of sprained fingers I had a mental breakdown and just wanted to get to the end before anyone passed me. Thankfully I arrived at the Dam at the finish lead still in tact.

"amazingly, everyone stayed sober" - hello, you were going to run 50k the next day!!!! The rest of us worry about carb loading and staying off our feet all week before a marathon, and, you are amazed about staying sober. There is something "odd" about ultramarathoners!!!

The fact that you won that race is beyond anything I would have hoped for....heck, making it out alive would have been my goal!!!

crazy man.

I love it!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:26 am

Great year!! Here's to next year being just as wild!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:02 pm

Rune, I love your stories and race reports. You are one of the wackiest and most amazing runner I have ever heard of.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:35 pm

Ryne,

Your stories are hilarous and awe inspiring! Great year- Congrats! I am still in awe that you ran from Waterloo to Stratford, so all this stuff just blows me away. :shock: :D

Hopefully we will get to have a drink together soon (or run together, if you want to run super slow!).

Erin :D

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:43 pm

Hang on, I have to pick up my jaw from the floor ...

WOW. Those are some awesome race stories, what a fantastic year. I can't say that I aspire to that kind of coolness -- I do, however, aspire to aspire to that kind of coolness. Here's to another banner year for you in 2006, Ryne!
BG

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

HUFF 101

Postby barebuns1 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:23 am

Brilliant story. I am almost inspired to run a 50km. I can sense you must put in mega hours running to work up to a distance like a 100 miler. I am looking forward to reading about your future exploits here in these pages
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”