Stampie’s BMO Half RR – A less than stellar day.

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Stampie’s BMO Half RR – A less than stellar day.

Postby Stampie » Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 am

Sorry if this is long or winded, I just wanted to capture my thoughts from race day.

Having met my ‘A’ goal for this race back in February at the First Half, I really had no goal to consider. My main goal was to meet my PB time and try to better it. Just a month prior, I got the flu and it knocked some wind out of my sails so to speak. So, just three weeks prior to the race (coming into taper) and my final LSD felt cr@ppy, it left me wondering where I was mentally for this race. I re-grouped and had a do-over the following Saturday and had a much better run and felt more confident heading into Sunday’s race. Even my final LSD of 12K a week before the race felt great.

Now fast forward to last weekend. I had TnT related activities to attend to on Saturday afternoon, team meeting and TnT inspiration dinner. I was home relatively early, say 8pm on Saturday, some of the team stayed at the hotel while I decided to stay home and sleep in my own bed. I ended up talking to my MIL for a little, so I was a little late getting to bed (11pm). My alarm went off at 4am and I was out of the house at 4:30. Originally I was intending to take a taxi to the hotel and meet the team since public transit was a PITA for race day. My DW did not need the car, so I decided to drive and park at the hotel as it was cheaper than paying for a taxi. Sorry Marymac, it was a last minute decision. I would have texted or called, but it was too late I thought.

So I meet with the team, ate my oatmeal I picked up on the way (a pre-race ritual). We walked as a group to the Skytrain line and rode the Canada Line to the start. We spent the hour mingling in the runner’s compound. All this time I felt loose & ready, joking with the others. We said our good lucks & good-bye’s and we went to our assigned corrals. Now this is only my personal opinion but I felt the corrals were not really marked very well. I seeded myself where I thought I was near the front, but I was actually near the middle/back. I met with Jwolf and tried to move shortly after that, but I was locked in. We had the lame fitness workout like they do for the Sun Run. My thought, get the freak’n run going….

I setup my Garmin and my phone app (so I could do live updates to my FB account, which did not work.) just before the crowds started to move. Up to this point I was feeling confident and loose. As we got closer to the start, I started my phone app and when I crossed the start line I started my Garmin. The first 5k was uneventful. The crowds were a bit of a problem and my improper placing kind of hindered me a little as I had to do a lot of weaving. Keeping that in mind, I reviewed splits and I was well with in pace. At 5k I was at 25:56 (5:11/K pace) per my Garmin and shortly after I starting to feel my stomach issues. Ironically my phone app had me at 25:32 (5:06/K pace) for 5K. My phone app had me slightly faster for more distance in total and I shut that off a good min after I crossed the finish line, I’m taking my Garmin as accurate from this point.

At about 6K I saw my TnT coach from last year, exchanged high fives and I was off again. It was shortly after the 6K mark that my stomach issues began to come to light. I thought I might have to do to the washroom. I even utilized the port-a-potties at the start a few times (learning from the Scotiahalf last year), so this surprised me. I opted to push on and try to ignore it. At about the 9K mark I meet with G, one of our participants and we began to run together. He commented to me that he needed to go to the washroom, but the line-ups at each station were crowded. We picked up our coach Angela at the 10K mark and she ran with us to about 11K. Shortly after that we hit the 7mile water station and no line-up for the toilet. Unfortunately that was a short lived relief, the discomfort continued to linger.

I pushed on into Stanley Park and the water station at mile 8 which was sponsored by TnT. I saw some familiar faces and that gave me an added boost. A Tnt Coach from the Seattle chapter picked me up just after that station and ran with me to Pipeline Road. The hill on Pipeline is not that technical or hard, but Sunday it was just a nuisance! I’ve run that part many times and have never had a problem; the heat must have been a factor. On to the Aid station at mile 9, there were limited cups and unfortunately the volunteers could not keep up with the volume of runners. This is where I started to feel my foot problems. I was suspecting it to be a blister on my toe since it felt inflamed. After the race I realized it was the nail had cracked and caused inflammation, it was like it was in-grown but that was not the case. I trudged on with the notion that it was just a blister and I’ll deal with it at the end.

The final stretch, I hit the aid station at mile 10 and there were a few runners receiving medical attention and volunteers strongly encouraging the runners to hydrate at this stop due to the heat. Mile 11 was by far the most annoying station for me. Another runner was screaming to be showered with water as he was approached the station, which is fine in itself, except I got the brunt of the water in my face. FFS! I will admit that was a relief, but it came at a cost. That cleared the sweat & salts from my forehead and straight to my eyes. Now I wear contact when running and that just caused stinging for about 2-3min and that is the reason I don’t pour water on my head when running. At this point you can hear the finish line and see the area to need to go to.

The home stretch, I hit the 20K point and I knew it was only 1.1K left. I came up on Denman as I came out of Stanley Park and worked my way to Georgia. I turned on to Georgia and I saw my TnT coach from last year again. Albert encouraged me and I dug deep and pushed on the end. I came into the chute and I was focused on the finish line not 500m away. So focus that I total missed another TnT’r as she was cheering us in. I only caught her at the last minute. I came into the end and I could hear Marymac being called in. The race was over. Certainly not my best race by far, but I persevered and got it done. I know I left it all out on the course and I’m ok with the result, though it did take some time. Would I do anything differently? That is hard to say. Training for a spring race results in much of my training in the winter and that makes it hard to prepare for the hot weather we experienced. The positives far out way the negatives in this race and I’ll take what learned here and apply it to my next race.

I also have to give a big shout out to the volunteers out on course, they were awesome! They took a lot of grief and they continued doing what they did best. The crowds all thru the course were encouraging and vocal. Would I do this race again, hell yes! I have some unfinished business to attend to!

ETA
I saw these guys at the finish as I was watching and cheering the full marathoner’s coming in. Too funny!
Last edited by Stampie on Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Re: Stampie’s BMO Half RR – A less than stellar day.

Postby grimskot » Thu May 09, 2013 11:36 am

Great report, Stampie. I liked reading about all the people you met along the course, both running &cheering. Sounds wonderful :dance: I'm still impressed with your result, esp'ly considering the heat, tummy troubles &toenail. Your next race this year better watch out, 'cause you might have a few things to prove in that one. 8)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:46 am

Yep!

Sometimes the feeling of satisfaction comes from just knowing you fought hard and won! I get what you mean about taking a couple of days to be OK with a result. I've had a few like that. No matter what though - slow or fast - there is nothing like the sight of that finish line.

Good Work Bryan!

Congrats.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu May 09, 2013 12:32 pm

purdy65 wrote:Yep!

Sometimes the feeling of satisfaction comes from just knowing you fought hard and won! I get what you mean about taking a couple of days to be OK with a result. I've had a few like that. No matter what though - slow or fast - there is nothing like the sight of that finish line.

Good Work Bryan!

Congrats.

Totally agree....congratulations to you. Great race report.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu May 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Stampie, I always look forward to reading your RRs and this one did not disappoint! You have a gernerosity in you that always comes through, no matter what you are enduring. Congratulations on hanging in there and running what was, all said and done, a very solid race!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Thu May 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Good work Stampie! It doesn't always come together as planned, but it sounds like you gave it all you had.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Good Work Bryan!

Congrats.

Exactly!

I've definitely had a few like that as we've talked about.

The downhill starting 5K of this one can be a bit of a teaser. It doesn't help as much you'd like because it's so early. The next 15K are solid and tough.

Take what the race gave you and move forward. It's all good. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu May 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Rough races will happen, but I'm glad that you can take away the positives from it. It will make you that much more ready to take advantage of the good days when they come along! Congrats.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 am

Bryan,

Sorry you had a rough day and especially sorry I didn't know you were right behind me (only because I had a head start :) ), I was kind of cranky when I finished my race so I pretty much powered through the food pick up area and headed straight to the gear check.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri May 10, 2013 8:24 am

I think that sometimes the race after a race where you achieve a big goal can be the hardest ones. Congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 am

Congrats again, Bryan! Thanks for another enjoyable RR. How's your toe feeling now? Is the nail toast?
Carm

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 am

Stupid toe nail. :twisted:
Tough day out there but you pushed through to the end. Good work. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks everyone for all your kind words everyone.

Lisa you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your comment. It’s the bigger picture I have to look at and it’s not always just about the main goal, in this case the time goal. As for the toenail Carmen, yup it’s pretty much toast. It went black shortly after the race and was starting to come off, so I soaked my foot last night in Epsom salts and it eventually came off.

I think I may have figured out what may have caused my toenail problem. Last year after my marathon I went to my doctor to have my toes looked at. I was diagnosed with a foot/toenail fungus. I was on a treatment for 12wks, where eventually all my nails fell off and new ones grew back. It looked like it was all cleared up, so I though. After further review, I think it might be back and the toe in question is one of the toes affected. Sometimes I have a tendency to curl my toes (much like we clinch our fists) in my shoes when running, which causes rubbing. Add a brittle nail due to the fungus and viola a cracked nail that caused an infection & inflammation during the race.
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Fri May 10, 2013 10:40 am

You toughed it out pretty well considering what you were faced with. Besides the rubbing, do you feel tension in your Achilles when you curl your toes?

See you at Scotiabank? I can't remember if you said you were in or not.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 am

RobW wrote:You toughed it out pretty well considering what you were faced with. Besides the rubbing, do you feel tension in your Achilles when you curl your toes?

See you at Scotiabank? I can't remember if you said you were in or not.

I don’t always curl my toes and I usually catch it when it happens. However, sometimes in my long runs I miss it and that is usually when my mind wonders and I don’t concentrate on the task at hand. I’ve never really noticed any strain on my Achilles.

As for the Scotiabank Half… I will be there more than likely, I’m just not sure in what capacity. I will likely be cheering, but there is a slight chance I may run. A co-worker of mine has given me a heads up that he may not be able to run it this year due to recent Achilles problems. This has slowed his training and he’s feeling very under trained 6wks away from race day, so he may give me his bib.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat May 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:

Good Work Bryan!

Congrats.

Totally agree....congratulations to you. Great race report.

Ditto! Congratulations!

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Congrats on your great run. what is MIL and PITA ? :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu May 16, 2013 1:53 am

barebuns1 wrote:Congrats on your great run. what is MIL and PITA ? :)

Mother-in-Law & Pain in the a$$

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Return to “Run/Race Reports”