Finally... Stampie's Bellingham Bay Marathon Race report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Finally... Stampie's Bellingham Bay Marathon Race report

Postby Stampie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:44 am

First off, sorry for the delay in this report. I’ve had to compete with my DW for time on the computer when we got the kids got to bed after work. Also I’ve been rather busy at work the past few weeks, so I did not have much desire to do much when I got home. So without further delay, here is my race report. Sorry it’s another long one and not very well proof read, so be kind on the errors/typos/grammar. :lol:

THE DECISION TO DO ANOTHER MARATHON
After I did BMO last year I said I would do another marathon, but I was unsure when I was going to do another one. Realistically not for a few years due to the commitment to training; I did not want to compromise my family time & be there for my kids. Now I had planned for the BMO half this year to be my ‘A’ race and run a sub 1:55:00 Half, while setting a new PB at the same time. Well I blew that out of the water in February at the First Half, with hard & dedicated training. I tried to carry the momentum thru to May and BMO, but I fell short. I dealt with two colds and then stomach & foot issues on race day. Well that was then, water under the bridge, and then started to have the urge to push myself further. I had a good base and I felt another half may not satisfy me. It was then that I had the urge to do a marathon and so began the search to find a race. I found Bellingham and I knew a few TNTers that have done the race and gave me rave reviews. So, I talked to my DW and went over the possible game plan and she was game. Many of my runs would be done while the kids were asleep, during my lunch break or a run commute. I committed to Bellingham on June 30th at the tenth hour, since a rate increase was to occur on July 1st.

TRAINING
I quickly comprised a schedule that would work for me. Tempo/hills Tuesday while my DS was at his Karate class, a run with my co-worker K during lunch (I like running with K, he is much faster than me and he likes to push me), then a run commute of around 12K or so and finally my LSD on Saturday or Sunday. I feel my training went well, but I don’t feel like I had any quality speed work in late August and onwards. I did many 30+ Km runs, 6 to be exact. I had some first's during this training. I ran over the Lions Gate Bridge and ran thru four cities in the process. I started in Burnaby, Vancouver, West Vancouver and finishing in North Vancouver. I had a close & personal encounter with a young (1-2 yrs. old) black bear on my final 35K long run at Burnaby Lake. I won’t lie at all, that scared the bejesus out of me, but what a majestic site to see. I had a PB in a 10K race 2wks prior. Finally just over a week away from race day, my body decides to pass a Kidney stone. That was by far the most intense pain I’ve ever experienced, hand down! Remarkably I got the clearance to run after I got discharged from the hospital, as long the Kidney Stone was passed and it did the day after.

THE RACE

Saturday the day before the race I got to Bellingham mid-afternoon. I forgot my passport, so I had to go home get that, so I lost about an hour as I was very close to the border when I realized my error. I met my cousin and her DH who drove up from Seattle. We went to the expo, which was very small and then we went for dinner. Hydrated with beer and carbo loaded with perogies. I went to Trader Joes to pick up some groceries to take home and then I was at the hotel for the night. I prep’d for the race and hydrated with water this time. I got an ok sleep, but nothing spectacular. I woke –up once for a biffy break and back to sleep. My alarm came quick at 4:45am. I got ready, packed my car and had a quick breakfast the hotel offered. I drove to downtown and found a parking spot near the finish. The rain had stopped, but it was windy.

I found the bus shuttle and jumped on the first bus with coffee in hand for the 20min ride to the start. I met up with D, my cousins DH. We were off to the start which was on the Lummi First Nations reserve. We brought to the beautiful Wex'liem (Place of the Frogs) Community Building. D and I exchanged best wishes and were on our own to prep for the run. D started at 7am because he intended to run and walk the race due to a nagging hip. I was off at 7:30 with everyone else. I met up with two very inspiring racers, Brian Cowie and Meyrick Jones. I am friends with Brian Cowie’s sister, we both worked together years back. Brian is a legally blind Para-athlete. He’s represent Canada at the Olympics and done numerous Tri’s and Ironman’s. Meyrick is his guide and Para-partner and he is an amputee from the knee down on his left leg. I have never met them to race day, so I took the opportunity to introduce myself. They were trying to qualify for Boston as Para-athletes. Mission accomplished, they did it! Here is pic of them competing.

The gun went off at 7:30 and we were off. I purposely place myself further back. I wanted to try and keep my emotions in check and run a steady pace. Was a gorgeous start for a race, you are running along the ocean as it was getting brighter. It was raining very lightly and the temps were perfect, unfortunately it was rather overcast so you could not see much in Bellingham Bay. The start of the run is rolling, not to technical. At about 5K I was at about 29:30 (~5:54/K pace) and I realized I was still a little too fast, even thou I felt good. At 10K I was in at just shy of 59min. A little more comfortable but I still need to re-evaluate my plan. I knew I would not be able to maintain this pace for the whole race, so I had to bring it down again. After 12K my Garmin went funky on me, my display changed a few times and I thought this was due to the increase rain. As it turned out my Garmin recorded everything, just somehow my display got changed while I was running. Weird! At about 15K we started to leave the Lummi Nation land and work our way thru Bellingham farmland. At about 20K I hit the port-a-potty for a biffy break. I meet up with Brian and Meyrick; they were close to a Km ahead of me at this point. The 20K mark is where he had a short out & back on a rural road. What a PITA and there was an electronic checkpoint at the turn around, no cheating there.

My Garmin had me at the half way at 2:08:xx, now that was better. That was the pace I wanted to be at! It was still a little fast, as I was looking for a 6:10 average pace but I felt great and strong. I was looking forward to the second half. At about 27.5K I was still on pace, but this is where my problems might have started. At this point we merged with the half marathoners and we all ran together from this point. I was 2hrs 45min into my race while they were only 45min into their race (9:30am start for them). We were just passing the backside of Bellingham Airport and I realized we were coming up to an easy decent down to Bellingham and the waterfront. It was at this point I saw myself lose focus on the game plan. I got caught up in the emotion and really picked up the pace. I found myself feeding off the half marathoner’s vibes and there encouragements to all us full marathoners. At about 29K I caught up to Brian & Meyrick and eventually passed them. Brian appeared to be struggling and Meyrick was trying to get him going again. We hit the second check point, which was also the halfway marker for the half marathoners. I was still on pace at about 3:20:xx at this check-point. I had my second and final biffy break. I could not see Brian or Meyrick and I was concerned they possibly dropped out, but I had to focus back on my race. I still felt good and strong. My legs were starting to feel, but I still had some pep in me.

The last 10K was interesting, 6-7K of relatively flat running; we were at sea level and entering downtown Bellingham. At 36K I started feeling tired, but I had a gel and pushed on. We hit 37K and we could see the finish and the festivities/music. One small problem, we still had a 5K out and back to Old Fairhaven before we could finish. We ran along a trail/path by the water. I saw a full marathoner who was walking. We got talking and he was doing his first marathon, so I encouraged him to get running again. Shortly after, I picked up a stitch on my left side. I had to stop. My new buddy helped me out and got me running; paying forward I guess. I then passed him and trudged along. We hit the final 3k of the race. This was by far the hardest section for me. It was not technical, but it was hard. We had about 2K of slow gradual climbing. If it was at the start of the race, no problem I could nail it! My stitch returned and caused me grief! I could not shake it. Every time I started to run up the incline it would bug me. I ended up walking, walking too much for my liking. Even a medic on course asked me if I was ok. Well I pushed up the hill walking. I tried to remind myself, that discomfort was nothing like the Kidney stone pain I had. It wasn’t working. :lol: Once we peaked, I started running again and I felt fine. There was no hill to exert my energy. I reminded myself we has a slight downhill finish and I had a beer waiting at the finish; which I paid for at registration!

as I'm coming into the finish.

I rounded the 26mile mark and I could see the finish. I could the finish earlier as I approached the marker. I dug deep and pushed on. I heard my cousin & her DH yell at me before I saw them. They snapped a pic of me and I high-fived them. I crossed the line and I could see 4:42:xx. I did it; marathon #2 was in the books. I felt remarkably good. My legs we obviously tired, but no cramping or discomfort. I heard my name announced as I crossed the line and that was cool! I got my medal and a bit to eat. I met up with my cousin and well went to the beer garden for a BEER!

POST RACE SYNOPSIS
With the exception of the final 5k were I had some trouble and lost a lot of time, I still feel I had a good race. My time is certainly not indicative of that, but that is only one factor to consider. I had a good race and I was happy with that. It was not a PB, but I put a good effort in and was on PB pace till 37K. I learned a lot of myself and what I could improve on for next time. Yes you read it right; there will be a next time. I’m just not sure when. I can’t blame the stitch all on my errors at 27.5K. It likely was a factor, but I don’t think the cause. I really don’t think I could have prevented it. Reflecting back now, I could have benefit from more quality speed workout and better hill training. That is something I can immediately take from this race. I got the result for what I put into this race. I was certainly well rested leading up to it and felt relatively good at the end.

THE BIG QUESTION
Would I do this race again???
For sure! It’s close to home. It’s a beautiful course and now I know what to expect next time!

THE STATS
Overal: 251/375
Male: 137/187
Age (45-49): 20/25
Gun: 4:42:29
Chip: 4:41:29
Ave Pace: 6:40/K

My Garmin: 42.88K in 4:47:41* (6:43/K pace)
*My Garmin got turned back on for about 5min

Thanks for reading.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Re: Finally... Stampie's Bellingham Bay Marathon Race report

Postby trixiee » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:35 am

Nice report Stampie!
Congrats on completing another marathon. No matter what, finishing a marathon is a fantastic accomplishment! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:13 am

Good race Bryan. Way to overcome cramping.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:25 am

Good stuff, Bryan ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 am

Great report Bryan! Congrats on Marathon #2!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:12 am

Stampie wrote:I can’t blame the stitch all on my errors at 27.5K.

Me neither. I'm wondering about the gel you took at 37K. How much water did you chase that with? Over the years, I've noticed that my stomach has a hard time processing sugar in the last 5-10K of a marathon so that I have to be very careful about keeping things diluted, sometimes even using the "swish and spit" approach with Gatorade, and sometimes walking through the late water stations to make sure that I get a followup cup of water.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:12 am

Nice report.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:11 am

Congrats on having a race you're happy with. Sounds like you had a good day. :D
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:21 am

Finally your race report!! :D

Congratulations Stampie! We've already discussed that number 3 won't be long now!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:01 am

What a great report...It makes me want to run another marathon. (It's been 5 years since my last one)...The course sounds lovely and with only 375 racers it would have a smaller-feel to it...

Of course my favourite part is the pic of you with the beer at the end! CHEERS!! 8) :-BD
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 am

NewFinnLoper wrote:Of course my favourite part is the pic of you with the beer at the end! CHEERS!! 8) :-BD

This. Congratulations, Stampie. Good race &good report :YMAPPLAUSE: :-BD
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:59 am

Great report Bryan.
I'm glad that kidney stone didn't cause you to DNS, you were able to complete your second marathon.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 am

Great report, Bryan- finally. :)

Congratulations again. Glad to hear you've caught the marathon bug.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:48 pm

ian wrote:
Stampie wrote:I can’t blame the stitch all on my errors at 27.5K.

Me neither. I'm wondering about the gel you took at 37K. How much water did you chase that with? Over the years, I've noticed that my stomach has a hard time processing sugar in the last 5-10K of a marathon so that I have to be very careful about keeping things diluted, sometimes even using the "swish and spit" approach with Gatorade, and sometimes walking through the late water stations to make sure that I get a followup cup of water.

I think you are right Ian. I was good up to that point, but at about 38K or so that was when the stitch came into play, but I got it under control til the hill climb. I even took water at the 37K water station and was conscious to take more water because of the gel and I walked that station. I think it was the next & last station where it began. I started the one mile gradual climb and took too much electrolyte (Nuun) I think.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Any day you can run a marathon is a good day. Any day you can have a beer at the finish line is a GREAT day! Congrats on a great day! :D
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Congratulations. Way to go!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for a great report. Nice to get your 2nd marathon under your belt. Good luck on your next effort.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:48 pm

La wrote:Any day you can run a marathon is a good day. Any day you can have a beer at the finish line is a GREAT day! Congrats on a great day! :D

Yep. This!

I've never had a kidney stone but I still remember back to 1984 when my brother lived with us for a couple months and he had one. I can still remember his look of agony and the trip to emerg that night.

Loved the detail in your race report. Love your attitude :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Great race and report - congrats on another marathon!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Congrats on another marathon under the belt. great race report.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:16 am

Well done!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:44 am

Congrats on #2. Great race recap...

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Great report, Stampie, and a very well-run race. I liked it that you helped out that first-timer, and that he could help you, too. Congratulations on your second marathon! (And not too many typos, either! :lol: )
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Sounds like you to some lessons from Marathon # 2 -- can't wait to hear when the training starts for # 3!! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Return to “Run/Race Reports”