Budapest Air Wizo Half Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Budapest Air Wizo Half Marathon

Postby marymac442 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Sometime in the fall of 2015 one of our running crew found out that there was a half marathon in Budapest in September, 2016. A plan was hatched for the travel wing of the Bonsor Breakfast Club to organize a trip in the fall of 2016 to visit Budapest - Vienna and Prague. Another of our crew was doing a bit of research and discovered that there was a marathon-half marathon in the Wachau Valley (a few hours outside of Vienna). In our usual fit of enthusiasm, we decided it would be great to arrange a vacation so that we could do the two races (two of us very nearly took that enthusiasm to the ridiculous level of racing the marathon in Wachau but at the eleventh hour wisdom prevailed).

September 11 was round one of the adventure in Budapest.

The race expo was an extremely low key thing there were several tents set up in the huge City park with really poor signage to direct us. When we picked up our package on Saturday morning we probably only saw 20 - 30 other runners, if that. There was a booth selling discounted shirts from prior year events but no major sporting goods vendors.
By luck, the apartment we rented was steps from the last stop of the Metro line that went to the City park. On race morning, we made our way to the station and got on the train with 3 - 4 other fellows (still very low key), then the train pulled into the next station and what felt like 1,000 runners piled into our three car train. I don't know how many people must have been left on the platform, tough luck to anyone hoping to catch the train at the next eight stops. This was our first hint that this was going to be a big race (we had heard there might be 9,000 - 15,000 runners but there was certainly no sign of them at the race expo).

From the last stop on the Metro, it was about a 10 minute walk to the City park to find the bag drop area and the start line. The bag drop was well organized with numerous tents set up and arranged by bib number. After dropping our bags we made our way to the start area for the usual pre-race routine of lining up for a last pit stop. There were a generous number of portopotties, unfortunately, they were quite gross and lacking in paper.

The weather for the week we were in Budapest was uncharacteristically warm at 25 to 30 degrees Celsius. As with most European running races, the start time for this race was 9 am. Needless to say, it was an extremely warm race. Thankfully, the humidity was very low.
The route is lovely and flat and is very scenic, running throughout the old city and along the Danube river. The portions of the run that were along streets were nicely shaded, at least in part, the section from km 7 to km 11 was on a bike path along the Danube, this section was extremely tough as there was no shade and any breeze there may have been was behind us.

This race was a stand alone half marathon with a 2 hour 30 minute time cutoff. The extract from the race guide read as follows: The race will be followed by closing bus with a 7min 10 sec/km speed. If the last runner of the field is running slower than that his/her bib will be crossed and will not be allowed to enter the finish area (the guide also indicated that the gross time limit (after the last starter) was 2 hours 46 minutes but I missed that little detail). I really struggled through the first half of the race and I seriously expected to be passed by that closing bus so I spent a bit of time looking over my shoulder checking to see how many runners were behind me. I finally started to feel a bit better after about 13 – 15km, I knew I wasn’t going to make to 2:30 time cut off but I could see that there were far too many people behind me to get passed by the bus. My discomfort was due to a combination of the heat and two days of walking up and down too many stairs leading to really tired quads. (Eta - my finish time was 2:35 ish, 2nd last of the Canadian contingent).

The finish line was on the far lane of the road that we started along, somehow with the volume of people it seemed like a completely foreign area. After some confusion, I managed to make my way back to the package drop off tents and to meet up with the rest of the gang.

The finish area had the usual selection of vendors giving away/selling food and beverage samples, including a really horrible tasting vitamin enriched energy drink (which some naïve Americans thought was beer samples).

Rather than spending much time hanging out at the race finish area, we headed off to the nearby Széchenyi thermal bath for a soak and a well deserved massage. This was a really lovely and large spa complex with three outdoor pools of various temperatures and numerous smaller baths inside of varying temperature from frigid to near par-boil. Hot soaks and cool/cold plunges were a great way to relax after a race, however, our post race recovery “meal” of sausages and beer was probably not optimal so after a couple of hours, we called it a day and headed back to our apartment to find some more substantial sustenance.

Last edited by marymac442 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Budapest Air Wizo Half Marathon

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:10 am

Nice report.

Hot and cold soaks sounds great.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:19 am

I'm glad you didn't get pulled off the road.
Congratulations on another half in a foreign country.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:03 am

This is a map of the route. A couple of husbands came with us on the trip and they were able to get out and cheer us on without having to stray more than a km from our apartment. I saw them as we were crossing the first bridge and near the finish which was fun and encouraging.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:38 am

No pressure with a bus following behind you :shock:
Great photos, what a beautiful place to race.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Excellent report and super photos, as usual! Congratulations! :)

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Looks like a fun race in a great place.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:11 am

Wow way to go. Talk about intimidating. That's an aggressive cut off too :) Thanks for the recap and photos!!

Another great adventure.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”