pizza crust

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Re: pizza crust

Postby Stampie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks for posting the recipe that looks easy and relatively simple. I my have to try it out one of these days, but letting my bread maker do all the work would seem so much more easier.
Babaloo wrote:If using a pizza stone: Heat stone in 500F oven. Dust a pizza peel with flour (I use cornmeal).

I could not agree more on the use of cornmeal, I don't have a pizza stone yet, but I always put a dusting of cornmeal on my pizza pan before placing my dough on it.
Babaloo wrote:Simple tomato sauce (this is the recipe my mother has been using since she was a kid in Italy)
In a bowl combine:
1 jar (680 ml) strained tomotoes or "passata di pomodoro" (I like the Molisana brand because its not as thick as the canned versions)
minced garlic (as much/little as you like)
dried oregano and/or basil
finely grated parmeggiano reggiano or Grana Padano cheese
salt & pepper

Mix and let stand for about 1 hour. You don't need to cook this sauce as it will cook on the pizza. For the leftover sauce (and there will be quite a bit), I freeze in an ice cube tray and when frozen I put the cubes in a ziplock bag, so next time I make pizza I'll just thaw as many cubes as I need. Keep it simple.

I've been looking for an easy pizza sauce recipe to use and it looks like I found it. Thanks. Prior to this I’ve used herbed tomato paste or can pizza sauce.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Babaloo
Percy Williams

Postby Babaloo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:51 pm

You are very welcome. If you have a heavy duty-ish food processor try it. It really does take only 30 seconds to knead the dough. I love the pizza stone - it's what gives the crust the crunch. I leave my stone in the oven even if I'm using the oven for something else. The stone gets better with heat and age. Now, I just have to talk my husband into building a wood-burning pizza oven in our back yard:lol:
FYI: I forgot to include olive oil in the sauce (I've edited my original post), you don't need a lot. There's nothing like homemade anything. Enjoy!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:02 pm

has it really been a year since I posted this?!

I just got around to making pizza tonight. :oops:

I used the recipe that Samantha posted, because it looked beginner-friendly.

The dough turned out fine, though it could use more flavour (next time I will brush the crust with olive oil and parmesan... yum). Also, some parts of the bottom crust were a little doughy (maybe just needed a few more minutes in the oven?).

There was only one size of Gluten at the store, and it was huge... will take me awhile to work through it so I guess I will be practicing my pizza crusts for awhile! lol
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”