Rice of the Prairies????

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
jgore
Abby Hoffman

Rice of the Prairies????

Postby jgore » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Is anyone familiar with this? I've never heard of it, but picked some up this morning at Bulk Barn and am planning on trying it tonight with dinner. It's a strain of oats that looks kinda like brown rice and you cook it like regular rice. The blurbs I've read say it maintains its shape and also has the texture of rice.

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Re: Rice of the Prairies????

Postby Tisha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:03 am

No, haven't heard of it. Let us know how it tastes.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Just like brown rice. You cook it exactly as you do brown rice and I found the texture and taste to be the same.

It was developed by the Agriculture Canada folks - selective breeding, not gene-mod - who shelved it and a farmer read about it, worked with it, and is commercializing it. It can be grown just like regular oats. Interestingly, when there was flooding in the area where he was growing it, it was the only crop that survived. So, while it doesn't require flooded fields, it is very hardy and can withstand flooding. Apparently, the chaff just falls off during harvesting, so it doesn't require processing. The big upside is that it contains a lot more nutrients than rice, though it also contains more fat.
Last edited by jgore on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Interesting! I'm going to check the Bulk Barn for some today! I'm out of brown rice, so I might as well try some of this instead.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 pm

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:54 pm

jgore wrote:Just like brown rice. You cook it exactly as you do brown rice and I found the texture and taste to be the same.

It was developed by the Agriculture Canada folks - selective breeding, not gene-mod - who shelved it and a farmer read about it, worked with it, and is commercializing it. It can be grown just like regular oats. Interestingly, when there was flooding in the area where he was growing it, it was the only crop that survived. So, while it doesn't require flooded fields, it is very hardy and can withstand flooding. Apparently, the chaff just falls off during harvesting, so it doesn't require processing. The big upside is that it contains a lot more nutrients than rice, though it also contains more fat.

Are those different things? Or is that something that anti-GMO advocates say about things they approve of?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Meanwhile Jim says to himself "okay, my last two threads have stirred up controversy, I'll post something about rice. That should be safe."
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Meanwhile Jim says to himself "okay, my last two threads have stirred up controversy, I'll post something about rice. That should be safe."

:lol:

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:03 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Meanwhile Jim says to himself "okay, my last two threads have stirred up controversy, I'll post something about rice. That should be safe."

Ha! Poor Jim. :)

As I understand it selective breeding is "natural" in that it's just the retaining of seeds from plants with characteristics you like, replanting them, and hoping for the best many times, through generations of the plants. It's what farmers did for eons (yes, that's official. EONS.), and is kind of in line with natural selection.

"Genetic modification" as it's commonly used (I think) refers to stuff in a lab, with microscopes and petri dishes and "artificially" playing with the gene structure (in ways I, as a non-scientist don't fully understand).

So, selective breeding is OK and GM isn't.

Or something like that.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm

bruyere wrote:

As I understand it selective breeding is "natural" in that it's just the retaining of seeds from plants with characteristics you like, replanting them, and hoping for the best many times, through generations of the plants. It's what farmers did for eons (yes, that's official. EONS.), and is kind of in line with natural selection.

"Genetic modification" as it's commonly used (I think) refers to stuff in a lab, with microscopes and petri dishes and "artificially" playing with the gene structure (in ways I, as a non-scientist don't fully understand).

Or something like that.

That's the gist of it. Personally, I don't have a problem with GM, at least not with the modifications we're aware of. I do take issue with how Monsanto and others make use of their products.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 pm

jgore wrote:
bruyere wrote:

Or something like that.

That's the gist of it. Personally, I don't have a problem with GM, at least not with the modifications we're aware of. I do take issue with how Monsanto and others make use of their products.

I'm never quite sure with GM foods as to whether those that are opposed to it are opposing it on scientific grounds or as part of an anti-corporatist agenda. Which is interesting because those that do oppose it also frequently oppose selective breeding when its done by the same corporations.

I really didn't mean to pick on you - just when you said "selective breeding vs. GMO" it seems that much of the opposition is based on who's doing it, not what's being done, and the distinction between selective breeding and GMO becomes irrelevant.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Turd read my mind. :lol:

I can see why they argue against GM foods, as you could add genes that would never naturally occur in the plant or animal. With selective breeding, you're simply selecting those organisms that display the properties you want and breeding them, ignoring or disposing of those that don't. I agree that many of those who lead the charge against "Frankenfoods" do so not because of the particular modification that's been made, but because they are against either the company producing the food or the very idea of gene modification, regardless of whether or not the modification would be of benefit.

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Very interesting! Thanks for all the info. I wonder if we could grow this crop when we move to the farm ... I would love to have a small field of it!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:13 pm

Tisha wrote:Very interesting! Thanks for all the info. I wonder if we could grow this crop when we move to the farm ... I would love to have a small field of it!

The actual name is Cavena Nuda - that's the name given it by the guy who is selling the commercial product. Agriculture Canada called it Gehl. Not being in the agriculture business, I have no idea where you would find out the info about seeds and growing conditions.

Here's a story from 2.5 years ago in the Toronto Star.

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2 ... iries.html

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 pm

jgore wrote:
Tisha wrote:Very interesting! Thanks for all the info. I wonder if we could grow this crop when we move to the farm ... I would love to have a small field of it!

The actual name is Cavena Nuda - that's the name given it by the guy who is selling the commercial product. Agriculture Canada called it Gehl. Not being in the agriculture business, I have no idea where you would find out the info about seeds and growing conditions.

Here's a story from 2.5 years ago in the Toronto Star.

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2 ... iries.html

Oooo! Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I've bookmarked it so I can look up the guy's name and the 'official name' of it when I need to. I wonder about the growing conditions. Our land is pretty sandy. I wonder if it'll be any good for anything more than just pasture land and hay fields (what it is now).

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Tisha wrote:Our land is pretty sandy. I wonder if it'll be any good for anything more than just pasture land and hay fields (what it is now).

Talk to Trixiee.

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 am

jgore wrote:
Tisha wrote:Our land is pretty sandy. I wonder if it'll be any good for anything more than just pasture land and hay fields (what it is now).

Talk to Trixiee.

Good to know!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue May 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Has anyone tried this? I really like it and have been substituting it for rice in a lot of recipes, but have found that I use roughly twice as much liquid as they suggest, about 4 cups liquid to 1 cup "rice".

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue May 28, 2013 7:51 pm

Tisha wrote:
jgore wrote:

Talk to Trixiee.

Good to know!

Look up the prairie grain reports. That should get you more info for your particular soil type.

DH says gehl has been around for a long time. Perhaps not this particular strain...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue May 28, 2013 8:43 pm

trixiee wrote:DH says gehl has been around for a long time. Perhaps not this particular strain...

It may also be that no one saw the commercial possibilities or knew how to market it until this guy came along.

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed May 29, 2013 10:58 am

I remember seeing the pitch for it on Dragon's Den a while back...
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Thu May 30, 2013 9:16 am

trixiee wrote:Look up the prairie grain reports. That should get you more info for your particular soil type.

Thanks, trixiee!

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Thu May 30, 2013 11:52 am

The chef at Bergman's in Winnipeg uses it extensively. We have all our visiting profs there and the food is outstanding. That's where I learned about this stuff. It is really good.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”