Looking for hills in Toronto?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

BJH
Lynn Williams

Looking for hills in Toronto?

Postby BJH » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:09 pm

This article is aimed at cyclists, but these are all runnable, too.

http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2009/ ... n_toronto/
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Good list, but I don't know if I'd agree that Brimley South is the toughest climb in the city. It's neither crazy long or crazy steep. Good workout though for sure.

Another one not on the list is Beechwood, which runs down from O'Connor to (and beneath) the DVP.

dg

Trailer
Johnny Miles

Postby Trailer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:04 am

Rattlesnake Point !

I like the fact that they added this little 'hill' into the mix... if you start considering outside TO there are a lot more hills to run in the GTA...

we could have a fun creating this list - any nominations?

My local favs are any of the Bruce Trail loops around the hockley valley.
Lesson one: "Don't fight the trail - take what it gives you. If you have a choice between one step or two between rocks, take three".

Lesson two: "Think Easy, Light, Smooth and Fast." You start with easy, because if that's all you get, that's not so bad.

Born to Run, Christopher McDougall pp. 111

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:18 am

Trailer wrote:

don't get me started...

The Grange Hill - probably more of a mountain
The Egg Nog Jog Hill
The reverse Egg Nog Jog - coming up Winston Churchill from Terra Cotta
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:56 am

Rattlesnake Point
Although not in Toronto, whenever I'm looking to test my mettle (or kill myself!), I'll head out to Milton to climb this monster. Used for the Provincial Road Championships a few years back, this is as close as it gets to an alpine climb in the GTA. Sure, it's not as long, but with multiple switchbacks and a crazy gradient, this is an absolute leg-breaker!

Yup...as a fellow Miltonian I can attest to this! I have run here and it is KILLER! There is no way I could cycle up this hill...but when I see other's doing it I am just amazed!
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 am

Hogg's Hollow
Commuters in the north end know all too well that at Yonge and Wilson/York Mills all roads point up. For my money, I think the east side is the toughest to go up, and the most fun to go down.

Used to be km 22 or so in the Toronto International Marathon......now with a route change around km 5 perhaps?? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Ran Toronto International Marathon twice......when they take that hill out I might go back! ;)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 am

Run26.2 wrote:Hogg's Hollow
Commuters in the north end know all too well that at Yonge and Wilson/York Mills all roads point up. For my money, I think the east side is the toughest to go up, and the most fun to go down.

Used to be km 22 or so in the Toronto International Marathon......now with a route change around km 5 perhaps?? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Ran Toronto International Marathon twice......when they take that hill out I might go back! ;)

About km 4, so the same spot you hit it in the half marathon. It looks worse than it is since you approach it coming downhill.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:20 am

Robbie-T wrote:
Trailer wrote:

don't get me started...

The Grange Hill - probably more of a mountain
The Egg Nog Jog Hill
The reverse Egg Nog Jog - coming up Winston Churchill from Terra Cotta

Anywhere you add the Credit River valley to the escarpment, you get a good workout. Spread over 6 K up Creditview or 1.5 up Grange, there is up to 195 M of elevation to play with. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3028305 That's almost twice the Rattlesnake Appleby Road area, that is steep though.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:26 am

BJH wrote:
Run26.2 wrote:Hogg's Hollow

About km 4, so the same spot you hit it in the half marathon. It looks worse than it is since you approach it coming downhill.

This is true.

I just ran it on my way to work this morning. I've done it so often now, that I'm kind of used to it!

Changing the route and putting at 4K was the best thing the Toronto marathon did.

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:36 am

Talking west GTA, I'd vote either Twiss Road or Snake Road up there with Appleby Line.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:34 pm

With all due respect, Milton, Oakville, Mississauga, Terra Cotta, Bruce Trail, Hockley Valley, etc. are NOT in Toronto. :wink:

I've cycled Brimley and I think it's a pretty darned tough and long hill. It's a scary descent, too - with a nasty speed bump at the bottom that can toss you if you're not paying attention and go over it too quickly.

Also in Sunnybrook is a path that runs up to the parking lot at the Hugh MacMillan rehab hospital that is quite steep. It lets you out in Leaside at Sutherland and Glenvale.

And, a vote here for any of the streets that run north of Queen in the Beach, especially Fallingbrook as it's the longest.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Toronto, this little but steep hill from Don Mills to Thorncliffe:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3029703

Ajax/Pickering: (Westney & 6th concession)
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3029707

Oshawa: Columbus & Old Scucog:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3029719

tgilpin wrote:Yup...as a fellow Miltonian I can attest to this! I have run here and it is KILLER! There is no way I could cycle up this hill...but when I see other's doing it I am just amazed!

You'll love this 100k route, then! :lol:
http://www.cyclecanada.com/HHH.html

It goes down Rattlesnake instead of up it, but the other 5 escarpment climbs over 100k are a hoot!!! I've done it twice, the second time it was single digit temperatures in the rain... weee! :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

The Joggler
Bruce Kidd

Postby The Joggler » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:51 pm

La wrote:With all due respect, Milton, Oakville, Mississauga, Terra Cotta, Bruce Trail, Hockley Valley, etc. are NOT in Toronto. :wink:

I've cycled Brimley and I think it's a pretty darned tough and long hill. It's a scary descent, too - with a nasty speed bump at the bottom that can toss you if you're not paying attention and go over it too quickly.

Also in Sunnybrook is a path that runs up to the parking lot at the Hugh MacMillan rehab hospital that is quite steep. It lets you out in Leaside at Sutherland and Glenvale.

And, a vote here for any of the streets that run north of Queen in the Beach, especially Fallingbrook as it's the longest.

Fallingbrook is a good one. My personal favourite is Glen Manor, as it snakes up along the ravine and has a couple of good curves and different gradients. In fact, I've run this hill so many times that in some circles it is known as Michal Hill (those circles are pretty much in my own head).

Endurimil
Percy Williams

Postby Endurimil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:22 pm

There are a few others to consider as well. There are a few other options of the beaten path of the regular routes.

Ben Trash in the Rouge
Ravine Dr of Bellehaven Crescent
The beach access of Guildwood Pkwy and Navarre Cres

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:53 pm

Treadmill!!!

Seriously. I just run trails, but of course in Ontario we don't have any really long hills/mountains for sustained climbing. I do uphill tempo runs on the treadmill and find it works great, gradually increasing the time. In the early season I'll throw in some short recoveries on the flat and treat them like cruise intervals too. I hate treadmills with a passion, but this is the one time that they seem to make sense...to me.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

Return to “General Running Discussion”