For the love of FRIDAY!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:52 pm

thanks peeps. :) turned out to not be an interview so much as an explanation of their programs and filling out all the hiring paperwork, lol.

So I now have three jobs. Probably won't stay at Shoppers once the new one gets rolling--the pay is much better and the hours much more flexible (though I love my shoppers discount!). And back into my favourite field--ie, working with at-risk youth. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:03 pm

ultraslacker wrote:thanks peeps. :) turned out to not be an interview so much as an explanation of their programs and filling out all the hiring paperwork, lol.

So I now have three jobs. Probably won't stay at Shoppers once the new one gets rolling--the pay is much better and the hours much more flexible (though I love my shoppers discount!). And back into my favourite field--ie, working with at-risk youth. :)

ImageImageImage
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, didn't run yesterday b/c of a lot going on. Today, chiro to start the day, and am planning on 6 miles after work. Should be a nice night to run. Chiro may have figured out what my hip problem was today --apparently there's a muscle that goes from the iliac crest to attach to the bottom rib. When she told me that muscle was tight, I asked if my hip pain could have anything to do with my broken rib from last December (that only in the late spring stopped hurting)... :idea: :idea: :idea: Genius! So she adjusted the ribs, noted that there appears to be some scar tissue and residual inflammation, and sent me for ultrasound of the rib. Tomorrow we'll see how it worked, and I'll be back to see her Monday.

In other news, I've had a busy week. I was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal for an article that came out on Wednesday (a link is up on my FB page, message me if you're not already my friend and want to see it), and yesterday, I got a call from NBC New York asking if I'd be willing to be interviewed for Saturday's NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams!!!!! So yesterday afternoon we spent most of the afternoon on the phone arranging schedules, cameramen, etc, and doing the preliminary interview, and then this morning, two camera guys came to our house to film me while I did the interview with a reporter who was in NY. It was great fun! They even filmed the cats as part of the B roll. It's going to air tomorrow night (Saturday) at 6:30 EST.

I'll be glad for next week not to be so busy! I'll also be glad when my workday is over and I can go home for a run!
2010: Cautiously coming back from 14 months of injury!
June 12: Race for the Cure 5K, Raleigh
June 26: Legal Run-Around 5K, Wilmington (28:51, PR!)
Jan. 8-9, 2011: Goofy!

Marathon Count: 6
Half Count: 7

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:05 pm

HCmD wrote:A nice hot and humid 10.1K run with Marg this morning along the Canal ... Besides almost slipping and falling into the Canal :shock: :shock: and then spotting about 3-4 humungus Carp in the Canal .. not much happend this morning :eh: :shock: :lol: :wink:

Gotta work a evening shift tonight ... so, may or may not get in a ride before then, later this afternoon ... we'll see ...

TGIF Maniacs .... :P

Good thing you didn't actually fall in, they would have tried to EAT YOU!!! :shock: :shock:

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 pm

ultraslacker wrote:hm, friday... might be more excited if I had weekends off. :P

But I have a job interview this morning... no reason that I won't get it unless we really don't jive. They have lots of space and it's exactly what I want and she told me to bring my paperwork and everything with me so she can "expedite the hiring process". Sounds good--wish me luck! :)

Then this afternoon I work. Haven't decided yet if I'll ride my bike or take the bus today...

Good luck!!!

ETA: AND CONGRATS!!!!!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:18 pm

moof324 wrote:In other news, I've had a busy week. I was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal for an article that came out on Wednesday (a link is up on my FB page, message me if you're not already my friend and want to see it), and yesterday, I got a call from NBC New York asking if I'd be willing to be interviewed for Saturday's NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams!!!!! So yesterday afternoon we spent most of the afternoon on the phone arranging schedules, cameramen, etc, and doing the preliminary interview, and then this morning, two camera guys came to our house to film me while I did the interview with a reporter who was in NY. It was great fun! They even filmed the cats as part of the B roll. It's going to air tomorrow night (Saturday) at 6:30 EST.

how fun! I'll check out the link tonight.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:30 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
moof324 wrote:In other news, I've had a busy week. I was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal for an article that came out on Wednesday (a link is up on my FB page, message me if you're not already my friend and want to see it), and yesterday, I got a call from NBC New York asking if I'd be willing to be interviewed for Saturday's NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams!!!!! So yesterday afternoon we spent most of the afternoon on the phone arranging schedules, cameramen, etc, and doing the preliminary interview, and then this morning, two camera guys came to our house to film me while I did the interview with a reporter who was in NY. It was great fun! They even filmed the cats as part of the B roll. It's going to air tomorrow night (Saturday) at 6:30 EST.

Did you mention us like Cheryl did when she was on Oprah? :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:35 pm

La wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

Did you mention us like Cheryl did when she was on Oprah? :lol:

No, Cheryl has me beat on that one! I didn't even get to shout out to my office! Although, Cheryl's story was a little more related to running...mine was about credit cards...at least the cats made a part of the shoot :lol:

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:30 pm

Congrats to Queen Holly and to Moof!!

Great morning for a run this morning. I went out with Buttons and NinjaBunny for a 7 km test run of my sore foot. It was a bit tender but I will continue to ice it, use the stick foot roller, and Vitamin I. I have a 10 km race ( Flying Chicken 10k in Niagara-on-the-Lake tomorrow evening and then I taper until Tuesday , August 25th when I run the Self-Transcendence Marathon in West Nyack , New York. ( Yes a Tuseday Marathon :?: )

Everyone have a great weekend.

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Great day to run, although it is a tad on the warmish side. 10.5km easy at 5:15/km. Now, I am ready for a beer or two...
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:39 pm

eljeffe wrote:I also have about 26k to run, or however far I get in 2 hours. Its my last long run before IMC! :D

3100m swim before work, as well.

A pretty good guess.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11204101

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:46 pm

I'll be glad for next week not to be so busy! I'll also be glad when my workday is over and I can go home for a run!

WoW! Congratulations!! Sounds like exciting times!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:31 pm

Feet are dead. We walked around all day, all over the place. Tomorrow we take the bus and ferry to Victoria to see if we can meet up with some Dragon Boaties from Ottawa....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:21 am

Meh. I didn't run today. I was literally just about to head out (after laundry, tidying and stuff) when I got the call saying I had to leave for dinner "now." Scurried off to meet a roomie and friends for a yummy authentic Mexican dinner (no Tex-Mex there!).

Now I'm off to bed because tomorrow is a little too packed and is going to be a long, tiring day, ending with an adventure.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:05 am

lisaannr wrote:

WoW! Congratulations!! Sounds like exciting times!

+1 how cool is that!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Return to “General Running Discussion”