Canadian Running Newbie

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

BJH
Lynn Williams

Re: Canadian Running Newbie

Postby BJH » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 am

Welcome.

Killerz wrote:I'm looking forward to pounding the pavements/ trails/ parks in the vicinity of Toronto, and giving a few of the races a go. It is a shame that the two marathons in Toronto are so close together - I may focus on the earlier one in order to try and qualify for Boston (need to go sub 3:11 - yes, was only 22 seconds out in Dublin in October 2009), and then run the later Toronto one at a slower pace - why not - when in Toronto and all that....

Marathons in Canada tend to be grouped into definite seasons. Outside of that time frame, it is usually too hot or too cold. There are other races in the general area in the spring as well, such as Mississauga. I doubt you are looking at that if you are racing 50k at Sulpher Springs though.

You may want to look at 30k Around the Bay as a warmup. Decide soon, it sells out. The weather for this race can be nice and it can be nasty. Pretty much guaranteed it won't be too hot, though.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Welcome to RM, Jamie! As you can already see, you will not lack for info or support. What will you be doing over here? Oh, and if you can sneak a few real Guinness into your luggage, that would be well appreciated. :D
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Welcome from the east coast of Canada!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:54 am

Nick wrote:Welcome to RM, Jamie! As you can already see, you will not lack for info or support. What will you be doing over here? Oh, and if you can sneak a few real Guinness into your luggage, that would be well appreciated. :D

Thanks Nick - indeed the support has been brilliant. I will be working in the financial sector, but hopefully will have enough time to continue on with a decent level of running training. Will do my best on the Guinness :lol:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:35 am

Killerz wrote: - indeed the support has been brilliant.

Definitely the first time any of us Maniacs have been called brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:38 am

Killerz wrote:
Nick wrote:Welcome to RM, Jamie! As you can already see, you will not lack for info or support. What will you be doing over here? Oh, and if you can sneak a few real Guinness into your luggage, that would be well appreciated. :D

Thanks Nick - indeed the support has been brilliant. I will be working in the financial sector, but hopefully will have enough time to continue on with a decent level of running training. Will do my best on the Guinness :lol:

Bring two (kegs). :wink:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Welcome to RM!
As mentioned by doonst, if you're interested in hitting the trails and parks around Toronto, there are a few groups that train and race all year round, including in the winter. There are more specific discussions on this topic in the Trail Running and Ultrarunning section here.
I hope you have an easy transition to Toronto and hope you settle in quickly. There's a vibrant running community here and great support online at RunningMania.com!
Ultrarunner again

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:45 am

So, over 3 years after I started this thread prior to my move to Canada, I felt it was time to put a bookend on it. I moved back to Ireland in September 2012, the Iroquois Trail Test 32k being my last race (and what a race!). While I loved Canada, Toronto etc., we moved back for family reasons. I kinda meant to put something up on the forum, but forgot, got lazy, then left it too late. I am now settled back here, and have clocked up a few races since my return.

I had a fab time in Canada, here are some of my running highlights:

• Around the Bay 2010 (my one and only ATB)
• Sulphur Springs 2010 50 miler (still the longest race I have done, and one of my fondest memories of Canadian races)
• STWM 2010 – qualifying for Boston
• Toronto Marathon 2010 – pacing for the first time
• Running the belt line trail, mount pleasant and moore park ravine in the snow (crunch, crunch!), and then in the early mornings in the summer of 2011 training for Chicago 2011
• My first podium finish – 3rd in Cadillac Fairview 10k in April 2011
• Boston 2011 – not Canada obviously, but was during my time there
• Limberlost 2011
• The Martin Goodman Trail – training runs
• Ottawa Half marathon 2012
• The beer after Creemore 2012
• The joys of running in -30 degrees or worse and +30 degrees or more

I did plenty of marathons, trail races, and shorter races and got a great feel for running in Canada. I also got well-acquainted with MEC and Running Room, and spent a considerable amount of time and money in those establishments. I also met a number of fellow maniac, who it was great to share conversations with and often run a few miles during some of the longer races with.

So what have I been up to since? I did the Dublin Marathon in October 2012 (was not a goal race, just did some light training), finishing in 3:10. My goal thereafter was the first Tralee Marathon (in west of Ireland), in March 2012. So I embarked on an 18 week program with the aim of going under 3 hours. I achieved my goal, which I was delighted with, and am now working towards the Connemara Ultramarathon which is in two weeks’ time, and is 39.3 miles. Cant wait.

My race report from the Tralee marathon is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost ... tcount=378

And that is part of a log I have kept (which includes all of my Canadian exploits) since late 2009:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055754053

Best of luck to you all - I'll keep an eye on the threads here every now and then to see whats happening in Canada!

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 am

Thank you for the great post, maybe Running Mania will go international. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:05 am

I hope you keep us posted & stay part of the community. You don't have to be in Canada to be a Maniac!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:33 am

Sounds like you had some great running/races in Canada. I'm sure you'll have just as many in Europe (very scenic ones I'm sure). Keep us posted, we can live vicariously through you :)

All the best.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 am

Great update.
Once a Maniac, always a Maniac. :wink:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:55 am

Habs4ever wrote:Great update.
Once a Maniac, always a Maniac. :wink:

Ditto!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 am

Good to hear from you!

Keep posting! Always great to hear of running exploits in other countries.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Thank you all! Please email me (thru profile) if looking for info on any races in ireland.... Dublin marathon is fantastic and well worth doing, but there are many more that have their own charms!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks for the check in.
Ireland is one country I've always wanted to visit...so who knows...I may get to meet you one day!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Good to hear from you. I also ran the 2012 Iroquois Trail Run in preparation for my JFK 50 Miler in Maryland in November. I am sorry, we didn't get to chat.
I am planning on running the Belfast Marathon in May 2014. I registered for it in 2011 but had a torn hamstring and ended up walking the race ( Just under 7 hours - It gave me a deeper appreciation for walkers!! :) ) We plan to be in Northern Ireland for about 3 weeks in May 2014. I may email you before we travel to check in with what you are up to.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:03 pm

If you ever do the Dingle marathon please post a report on here! I have been dreaming of that one since I drove the peninsula a few years ago. I must get out there again and run it!

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:48 pm

you certainly had a helluvatime here running-wise. Accomplished a lot!

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:12 am

Ken B wrote:Good to hear from you. I also ran the 2012 Iroquois Trail Run in preparation for my JFK 50 Miler in Maryland in November. I am sorry, we didn't get to chat.
I am planning on running the Belfast Marathon in May 2014. I registered for it in 2011 but had a torn hamstring and ended up walking the race ( Just under 7 hours - It gave me a deeper appreciation for walkers!! :) ) We plan to be in Northern Ireland for about 3 weeks in May 2014. I may email you before we travel to check in with what you are up to.

Do let me know, who knows I may end up doing that race myself!

fingerboy wrote:you certainly had a helluvatime here running-wise. Accomplished a lot!

Funny, I think we have had a very similar trajectory in terms of marathon times over the past couple of years, albeit you beat me to the sub 3 goal!

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:38 am

All I can say is....real Guinness.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Killerz wrote:
Ken B wrote:Good to hear from you. I also ran the 2012 Iroquois Trail Run in preparation for my JFK 50 Miler in Maryland in November. I am sorry, we didn't get to chat.

Do let me know, who knows I may end up doing that race myself!

fingerboy wrote:you certainly had a helluvatime here running-wise. Accomplished a lot!

Funny, I think we have had a very similar trajectory in terms of marathon times over the past couple of years, albeit you beat me to the sub 3 goal!

Only because you passed out the year before and I had perfect weather. You were definitely in shape for it.

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 am

Nick wrote:All I can say is....real Guinness.

Yes, its rather tasty!

fingerboy wrote:
Only because you passed out the year before and I had perfect weather. You were definitely in shape for it.

Them's the breaks I suppose! Took a while to come back from it alright....Looks like you're still breaking records out there!

Return to “General Running Discussion”