2014 Boston Marathon Week

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

2014 Boston Marathon Week

Postby HCcD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Ugghhh!! Security measures have already been tested in Boston ....

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/15/b ... nish-line/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

5km
Bill Crothers

Re: 2014 Boston Marathon Week

Postby 5km » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:20 pm

This is probably a naive question so please forgive me.

I just watched an interview on the Canadian Running Magazine website. The man in the video has run Boston 13 times. So my question is: Do you have to "qualify" for Boston each and every year or does the fact that you run the race this year qualify you for entry in the coming year?

Just wondering...

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:27 pm

5km wrote:This is probably a naive question so please forgive me.

I just watched an interview on the Canadian Running Magazine website. The man in the video has run Boston 13 times. So my question is: Do you have to "qualify" for Boston each and every year or does the fact that you run the race this year qualify you for entry in the coming year?

Just wondering...

you have to qualify each year. you can qualify while running boston the previous year. (note - there are ways to get in other than qualifying - different charities have slots and organizations that volunteer get spots too)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:

Just wondering...

you have to qualify each year. you can qualify while running boston the previous year. (note - there are ways to get in other than qualifying - different charities have slots and organizations that volunteer get spots too)

Aren't there some people who are grandfathered in? e.g., if you've run more than x times, you don't have to qualify anymore? Not sure where I heard that.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:37 pm

jes wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

Just wondering...

Aren't there some people who are grandfathered in? e.g., if you've run more than x times, you don't have to qualify anymore? Not sure where I heard that.

you might be thinking of the NYC marathon?
"Marathoners who have finished 15 previous New York City Marathons. We are phasing out this means of qualifying for guaranteed entry; those who finish their 15th New York City Marathon after 2016 will not be eligible for guaranteed entry under this provision."

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Many people do qualify year after year and go, especially those that live close. And many Boston-area residents are affiliated in some way with a local charity or organization and raise money year after year or get invitational entries (the towns along the way and local police forces, etc. get a certain number of invitational entries each year to give out as they choose).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 pm

deerdree wrote:
jes wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

Just wondering...

you might be thinking of the NYC marathon?
"Marathoners who have finished 15 previous New York City Marathons. We are phasing out this means of qualifying for guaranteed entry; those who finish their 15th New York City Marathon after 2016 will not be eligible for guaranteed entry under this provision."

Maybe. But I didn't think so. Will ask around :)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am

I wish the qualification period was longer... ugh. My employer has finally given me the green light for Boston (we'd work something out) but my last Boston won't count for 2015, only NYC would, so my slight "blow up" to a 3:09 wouldn't count. If I raced again in the fall, It'd be mid-Oct, and the race may be already sold out.

Maybe I'll just continue to think about short races for real.

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 am

Long time no post, but just thought I'd check back in here ahead of Boston on Monday. I am heading over to run it (Bib #3697, Corral 1/4), but will be once again running to enjoy it rather than gunning for a PB. Good luck to everyone and travel safely!

Jamie

Return to “General Running Discussion”