So much for beet juice!

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

jamix
Bill Crothers

So much for beet juice!

Postby jamix » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Just thought I'd post up a little one-man experiment/experience with a popular running supplement that's had some scientific support for its use in running.

Recently I've needed to find new ways to ramp up my performance as earlier in October I started having some bad side effect reactions to caffeinated sports drink (etc coffee, Rockstar, redbull)..

So what was the answer.........BEET JUICE!

I did two experiments. One on the stationary bicycle, measuring my heart rate while pedalling at a constant power level / cadence.....Then earlier today, I did a running experiment with the supplement on part of my Petrie Island running route.

STATIONARY BIKE:

Essentially I did 8 minutes at one power output before takeing beets and another 8 minutes afterwards. I observed my maxHR after both sessions.

Result:

1) maxHR (no beets): 164

2) maxHR (beets): 161

RUNNING:

Run one loop of the beach at Petrie Island (approx 1.05 km) at perceived 5km race pace;

Result:

1) TIME (no beet) 3:53

2) TIME (beets) 3:52 (almost 3:52.5).....

Based on this, it looks like the nitrates in beet juice affect heart rate more than it effects actual performance. Actually it might not effect performance at all........I did notice one interesting thing, and that was while warming up at E- pace/effort before the above runs (and also on the stationary trainer), I did go considerably faster in the "beet" condition than the "non-beat" condition. However as soon as I got to doing intense exercise, the effects dwindled away.

Hope this information can add value to all you RMers running routine :D .
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

carm
Bill Crothers

Re: So much for beet juice!

Postby carm » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm

I love your experiments, jamix. I love beets (to eat) but ahem, n=1 doesn't prove anything. We need more participants...and no, I'm not offering. :D
Carm

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Just remember, the next morning, to not freak out when your see a lot of pee , especially if you are a bit under the table or still have asleep .... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 pm

carm wrote:I love your experiments, jamix. I love beets (to eat) but ahem, n=1 doesn't prove anything. We need more participants...and no, I'm not offering. :D

Since the n = 1 is ME, then it means something to me. It means I can't run sub-18 minutes tomorrow :(
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:06 am

jamix wrote:
carm wrote:I love your experiments, jamix. I love beets (to eat) but ahem, n=1 doesn't prove anything. We need more participants...and no, I'm not offering. :D

Since the n = 1 is ME, then it means something to me. It means I can't run sub-18 minutes tomorrow :(

Yes, you are correct. :) Keep working - you'll get there!!!!
Carm

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:01 pm

So you took beets and 5min later it had no effect?

It's not speed. :roll:

Testing this on "yourself" is impossible, because you have to train for something over a period of time and do the experiment right at the same time. It's done right when you take about 250-500ml of beets daily for a week.

You can only do this on yourself when your training is consistent and 2 weeks or so of training won't affect performance. Ie your first week of training and your TT will not improve your second week where you took beets.

Second different studies have different marginal benefits... I've heard as low as 3%. 3% over 8min is completely different than over a marathon.

Third, sounds like you experienced a warm up effect more than anything else.

I do drink beet juice before my races. I can't say whether it gives me the extra boost from 32k onwards, but lately like at Chi, I did not get that. Maybe it's the beets maybe its not but why change it?

If you want to run sub 18tmr take an advil. Maybe that will give you a quick fix to keep you loose.

Sub 18 is a sustained 3:35 pace anyway.... It's a long way off from from a 3:40 1 off.

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Testing this on "yourself" is impossible, because you have to train for something over a period of time and do the experiment right at the same time. It's done right when you take about 250-500ml of beets daily for a week

No. The effects of the nitrates in beets are instantaneous / one-dose. Nothing builds up by multiple dosing and actually after two weeks, its possible you'll start becoming desensitised .

It's far more accurate to do the two tests one the same day, while your fitness / health isn't going to change. The only issue with this is as you mentioned, the "warm-up effect", however I might add that even this was unlikely for the running experiment since I did the two runs several hours apart.
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Nothing goes from your gut to your bloodstream instantaneously. It' going to take 2.5-3 hrs.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:36 pm

fingerboy wrote:Nothing goes from your gut to your bloodstream instantaneously. It' going to take 2.5-3 hrs.

Patently not true.

Sugars, for one thing, get into the blood very quickly; I know you know of gels and energy drinks and how they are used. Alcohol is another that doesn't take hours... different purpose though.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Beets take 2-3 hrs.

There's plenty of research on beets

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term ... ot%20juice

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:00 pm

fingerboy wrote:Nothing goes from your gut to your bloodstream instantaneously. It' going to take 2.5-3 hrs.

fingerboy wrote:

I meant it only takes one dose, and effects are felt rather quickly. Taking it for weeks or days doesn't do anything more. You presented no proof it takes al least 2-3 hours either (thats just the time period used in one of the experiments) and I never said I waited 5 minutes.

FYI; I waited 35 mins in cycling condition, and 90 minutes in running condition.
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Mark 2.1 wrote:

Patently not true.

Sugars, for one thing, get into the blood very quickly; I know you know of gels and energy drinks and how they are used. Alcohol is another that doesn't take hours... different purpose though.

*clink! Cheers!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Return to “Training ”