Ultras 2010

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
scoot
Percy Williams

Re: Ultras 2010

Postby scoot » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:49 pm

Hey, I was looking at "Way Too Cool"... now, I can't remember what I read, but... care to share your thoughts on it? Would that be the one that made me think "Hm... maybe not the one for me at this point?" cuz it was pretty tough?

I don't know too much about it other than it is a popular run to kick off people's prep for Western States (and I believe shares some of the course). There is likely a fair bit of climb and the trails are dry and dusty but not too technical (based on my WS experience). There is a lottery to get in (I did...now have a few more days to commit or not - I will be in San Diego at the time so will have to figure out a way to get to N. Cali).

sm

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:35 pm

scoot wrote:
Hey, I was looking at "Way Too Cool"... now, I can't remember what I read, but... care to share your thoughts on it? Would that be the one that made me think "Hm... maybe not the one for me at this point?" cuz it was pretty tough?

I don't know too much about it other than it is a popular run to kick off people's prep for Western States (and I believe shares some of the course). There is likely a fair bit of climb and the trails are dry and dusty but not too technical (based on my WS experience). There is a lottery to get in (I did...now have a few more days to commit or not - I will be in San Diego at the time so will have to figure out a way to get to N. Cali).

sm

OK, well, that answers that question! That's a bit more than what I was looking for for my "see how fast I can do my next 50K" try. (Though the "not too technical" part sounds appealing) Heh. Didn't realize it shares part of the WS course!

And the fact that it's a lottery makes that decision even easier.

So, do you have any suggestions for a later winter/early spring 50k in the west? I started a thread asking this, but have received few answers! And that Rune character is being only marginally helpful. :p) Worst part is, I can only remember one of the races he suggested the other day. I think there was one in Sacramento...?
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Jim Bob
Percy Williams

Postby Jim Bob » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:55 pm

I am not sure what the courses are like but Orcas Island and Chuckanut are both Washington State 50ks that I have heard noting but good things about. You can check them out at http://www.trail-run-crazy.com/Washingt ... eries.html.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:04 am

Jim Bob wrote:I am not sure what the courses are like but Orcas Island and Chuckanut are both Washington State 50ks that I have heard noting but good things about. You can check them out at http://www.trail-run-crazy.com/Washingt ... eries.html.

I did Chuckanut this year and loved the course... except the paved bits, which hurt my feet. :) It's lovely and challenging, and has a little bit of everything (including scrambling over boulders, mucking through mud, great views, and a very steep climb at 20 miles). Well organized too. Not a speed course.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:48 am

Jim Bob wrote:I am not sure what the courses are like but Orcas Island and Chuckanut are both Washington State 50ks that I have heard noting but good things about. You can check them out at http://www.trail-run-crazy.com/Washingt ... eries.html.

Orcas Island... Haven't heard of it. Will look into it. Thanks for the link! (It's opening right now... taking a while...)

Chuckanut is on my radar, both because rune134 and ultraslacker did it last year (so I knew about it) and because rune134 mentioned it again the other day. I'm pondering it because it's close and I'd be interested in seeing what I can do. We also sort of discussed Mt Si, but again, it would just be to see what I could do there.

I just have to pick a target. And balance two things: 1 - a time goal for a 50K that was suggested to me, so I'd like to see if I can hit that, but a the same time, I'd have to pick a pretty specific race to do that, I think! (And I'm not sure I really want to do Elk Beaver! :p), and 2 - challenging myself and not being scared off by a course, because I'm apparently stronger than I think I am (slowly learning that).
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:08 am

ultraslacker wrote:

I did Chuckanut this year and loved the course... except the paved bits, which hurt my feet. :) It's lovely and challenging, and has a little bit of everything (including scrambling over boulders, mucking through mud, great views, and a very steep climb at 20 miles). Well organized too. Not a speed course.

Yep. Remember that you did it and loved the course. That's partly why it's on my radar - it got such rave reviews!

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:38 am

Huh. 6874 ft up and down. Winning time of 4:32 and Robbins did 4:38, and Ellie 5:18...(just runners I know, so I can use them as "markers"). Uh huh. So, not an easy course, clearly!
Chuckanut winning time was 3:53. So, a bit easier? Both were slower in 2008.
Guess I just have to decide what I want!

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:46 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:For me it's split into two parts, racing myself and then being race director for 6 to 8 events.

Racing will be:
June - Kettle 100 mile - to finish some unfinished business from 2008
July - Voyageur 50 mile
August - Lean Horse 100 mile
October - Surf the Murph 50 mile

And for race directing, the only ultra on the list is the 3/6/12 hour Beaudry Lemming Loop the first weekend of October, which should be bigger and better for year two. This should really be a maniac destination race, Winnipeg has consistently shown fantastic maniac hospitality :-)

At the end of the day, it's easier to run all day than it is to be the RD, but both are incredibly fun.

Dwayne

What's the Voyageur 50 mile like? It's around the right time of the year and right distance for me.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:51 pm

dale_nesbitt wrote:
dwayne_runs_far wrote:For me it's split into two parts, racing myself and then being race director for 6 to 8 events.

Racing will be:
July - Voyageur 50 mile

And for race directing, the only ultra on the list is the 3/6/12 hour Beaudry Lemming Loop the first weekend of October, which should be bigger and better for year two. This should really be a maniac destination race, Winnipeg has consistently shown fantastic maniac hospitality :-)

At the end of the day, it's easier to run all day than it is to be the RD, but both are incredibly fun.

Dwayne

What's the Voyageur 50 mile like? It's around the right time of the year and right distance for me.

I haven't done Voyageur before, but it is an out and back course, with some tough stuff in there from what I've been told. Some of the guys I run with have done it in around 12 hours. It can get quite hot that time of year though. It's close to Duluth, so it's a short drive.

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:34 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:
dale_nesbitt wrote:

Racing will be:
July - Voyageur 50 mile

Dwayne

I haven't done Voyageur before, but it is an out and back course, with some tough stuff in there from what I've been told. Some of the guys I run with have done it in around 12 hours. It can get quite hot that time of year though. It's close to Duluth, so it's a short drive.

Dwayne

I think I'll wait to see how my training is going in May before I commit to it then. My weekly mileage is nowhere near where I want it to be right now.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”