MAMIL?

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

MAMIL?

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:21 am

Here's a cautionary article about running tris when you are over 40. Hadn't heard the "MAMIL" acronym before - middle aged men in lycra. One more reason for me to keep on just running in my more dignified teeny-tiny shorts with manties and singlet.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

MAMIL?

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am

Sorry, but I don't see how this really merits any alarm or increased caution about triathlons. Men also have more of a chance of dying in marathons and these sports are getting more and more popular with the 40-60 age groups. Even so, the risk is still very small.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Re: MAMIL?

Postby MrBond » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:Here's a cautionary article about running tris when you are over 40. Hadn't heard the "MAMIL" acronym before - middle aged men in lycra. One more reason for me to keep on just running in my more dignified teeny-tiny shorts with manties and singlet.

Hey, I resemble these remarks....
"You're in over your head Donny..."

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: MAMIL?

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Jwolf wrote:Sorry, but I don't see how this really merits any alarm or increased caution about triathlons. Men also have more of a chance of dying in marathons and these sports are getting more and more popular with the 40-60 age groups. Even so, the risk is still very small.

Risks are always small when you're not the one taking them.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

MAMIL?

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:38 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Sorry, but I don't see how this really merits any alarm or increased caution about triathlons. Men also have more of a chance of dying in marathons and these sports are getting more and more popular with the 40-60 age groups. Even so, the risk is still very small.

Risks are always small when you're not the one taking them.

I take risks all the time, but I just don't see this study as raising any new alarm bells.

Does triathlon present a significantly higher than in for men in their 40's and 50's than for general population or than other activities? I don't see the data here to show that. And the title of the article is purposely written to be link-bait. Within the article the author also paints marathons, triathlons of all distances, ironman triathlons, and open water swims with the same broad stroke of risk.

What's the lesson- wait till you're 61?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “The Dark Side”